Director | Owner2011 - PRESENTBlunderboffins, Inc.
Technologies: Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), Web, MacOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Unity3D, C#, 3D Games, 2D Games, Mobile Game Design, Mobile Game Development, Mobile Games, Console Games, Video Games, Games, Game Design, Game Design Documentation
- Used this company to self-publish my independent videogame works. Blunderboffins was incorporated in 2013.
- Created a large number of small video games for varied devices, including PC/Mac, web, and mobile.
- Co-designed, coded, and created the visual art for Shu's Garden—a sandbox game nominated for the best social/casual game at the Canadian Video Game Awards in 2014.
- Researched and experimented with interactive story techniques, including a substantial fictional work (The Odd Time Club) created with funding from the Ontario Arts Council.
- Wrote algorithms for simulating ecosystems and procedural generation of flora (Shu's Garden).
- Used map data to create a simulation of the city of Toronto where users could play as the local wildlife (Greater Toronto Animalia). Funded by the Toronto Arts Council.
Lead Software Engineer | Co-Producer — Farhaven2019 - 2021Patch & Path LLC
Technologies: Augmented Reality (AR), Unity3D, ARKit, 3D Games, Game Design, Mobile Game Design, Mobile Game Development, Video Games, Game Development
- Developed an augmented reality adventure videogame for iOS.
- Contributed to the design and production from the early phase through launch.
- Created custom editing tools for creating the story and puzzle scenarios without additional code work.
- Developed an algorithm for dynamically placing required objects within a given space, using all available surfaces, and optimizing for spacing, orientation, and more.
- Leveraged the latest ARKit features through Unity's AR Foundation framework.
Mobile AR Unity Developer2019 - 2019QLI, Inc.
Technologies: Unity2D, Unity3D, ARKit, Augmented Reality (AR), Video Players, Android, iOS
- Created a small AR app for iOS and Android which animated faces within pictures.
- Implemented ARKit face-tracking for supported devices.
- Exported videos generated within Unity to the native photo/video app.
Virtual Reality Unity Developer2018 - 2019Mind Brain Behaviour Hive
Technologies: Biometrics, Google Daydream, HTC Vive, Unity3D, Sensor Data, Virtual Reality (VR), Virtual Reality App Design
- Created virtual reality experiences which leveraged biometric data as input.
- Developed in Unity engine for Google Daydream and HTC Vive.
- Worked on character and environmental animation tied to user's biometric data.
- Used C# networking code to communicate with a host for the biometric data.
Unity AR Developer2018 - 2019Clipo, Inc.
Technologies: Dependency Injection, ARKit, Unity3D, Augmented Reality (AR), Video Players, Particle Effects, VR Interfaces
- Led the development of a concept app using the Unity engine and Apple's ARKit.
- Provided guidance and advice for further development.
- Structured app using extremely modular code and dependency injection.
Unity/ARKit Engineer2017 - 2018Fast Rope Labs
Technologies: ARKit, Unity, Augmented Reality (AR), Unity3D, Shaders, Unity Shaders, Adobe Illustrator, Particle Effects, UI, Interaction Design (IxD), GPS
- Engineered and assisted in the design of an ARKit-powered app.
- Created an augmented-reality app that anchored a virtual world to a real-world location and provided a historical recreation overlaid on the present-day site.
- Contributed to the interactive design and visual aspects of the project.
VR Consultant2016 - 2017Mind Brain Behaviour Hive
Technologies: Virtual Reality (VR), Web-based VR
- Created sample content using a proprietary VR experience editor called DiVR.
- Provided quality assurance services for the alpha version of this toolset.
- Gave technical and design guidance on the further development of the toolset.
Unity Virtual Reality Developer2016 - 2017Postopian Games, Inc.
Technologies: Google Cardboard, C#, Unity3D, Dependency Injection, Virtual Reality (VR), Virtual Reality App Design, Google Daydream, Game Design, Mobile Game Design, Mobile Games, Game Design Documentation, Game Development
- Implemented a virtual reality video game with interactive story content.
- Designed technical specifications for the art pipeline.
- Was responsible for all core development using Unity engine and designing for Google Cardboard and Daydream.
Unity Engine Consultant2016 - 2016Secret Location
Technologies: Samsung Gear VR, C#, Unity3D, Video Players, Video Effects, Virtual Reality (VR), Virtual Reality App Design
- Revised a prototype for a VR video viewing application.
- Provided technical guidance on implementing virtual reality (VR) with the Unity Game engine.
- Gave design guidance on and implemented several UX models for the above prototype.
Unity Consultant2016 - 2016Digital A.I.R.
Technologies: SmartAR, Kudan SDK, Vuforia, C#, Unity3D, Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), Shaders, UI
- Provided technical guidance for an augmented reality startup.
- Created and helped to create various augmented prototypes using a wide range of AR toolkits within the Unity engine.
- Provided the design guidance for creating AR experiences.
Unity Engine Consultant | Developer2012 - 2015AWE Company Ltd
Technologies: Tango, Google Cardboard, Meta AR Glasses, C#, Unity3D
- Created augmented reality installations with historical dramatic content.
- Managed team members in the creation of a second-screen TV episode and interactive app.
- Created various prototypes for VR and AR apps.
- Worked primarily in Unity3D, using various AR and VR SDKs and equipment.
Lead Story Designer2008 - 2011AAA Game Studio (Toronto, Canada)
Technologies: Trac, C#, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Game Design, Writing & Editing, Game Design Documentation, Console Games, 3D Games
- Researched source material and wrote draft scripts for a story-heavy AAA action game.
- Worked with a scriptwriter and scenario design team to revise scripts.
- Assisted in voice recording and motion capture sessions.
- Directed a team of four in the creation of in-engine cutscenes, including art direction and schedule management.
- Created a rich script-writing tool to produce industry-standard scripts for actors and directors, as well as subtitles for the game data in seven languages.
- Monitored and edited text material in the game, the manual, and the website.
- Led, in my last five months, the localization of a mobile social game.