Jason RT Bond
Verified Expert in Engineering
Video Games Developer
Jason has over a decade of experience in the video game, virtual reality, and augmented reality industry. He is an expert in the Unity Engine and can work with a wide variety of platforms (web, mobile, PC/Mac, game consoles). He prefers a multi-disciplinary approach—having a background in both game design and coding, as well as experience in audiovisual content creation pipelines.
C#, Unity3D, ARKit, Unity, JetBrains Rider, Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), Game Design, Game Development
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on was a sandbox video game with a real-time ecosystem simulation and procedurally generated plant life.
Lead Game Developer
- Developed prototypes and core architecture for a "metaverse" embedded within a larger social app.
- Designed and developed a custom 3D avatar system within Unity.
- Built core game logic and a from-scratch action system using Photon Quantum (a multiplayer ECS engine), with Unity serving as the front end.
- Acted as senior developer for a team of 3–5 until launch.
- Developed prototypes of textual metaphors translated into gesture-driven virtual reality environments according to the design by the client.
- Developed solo on Unity and C# and handled scene construction (akin to level design).
- Abstracted concepts to modular units for easier future work by non-programmers.
Lead Software Engineer | Co-producer — Farhaven
Patch & Path LLC
- Developed an augmented reality adventure videogame for iOS.
- Contributed to the design and production from the early phase through launch.
- Created custom editing tools for creating the story and puzzle scenarios without additional code work.
- Developed an algorithm for dynamically placing required objects within a given space, using all available surfaces, and optimizing for spacing, orientation, and more.
- Leveraged the latest ARKit features through Unity's AR Foundation framework.
Mobile AR Unity Developer
- Created a small AR app for iOS and Android which animated faces within pictures.
- Implemented ARKit face-tracking for supported devices.
- Exported videos generated within Unity to the native photo/video app.
Virtual Reality Unity Developer
Mind Brain Behaviour Hive
- Created virtual reality experiences that leveraged biometric data from custom wearables as input.
- Developed in Unity engine for Google Daydream and HTC Vive.
- Worked on character and environmental animation tied to user's biometric data.
- Used C# networking code to communicate with a host for the biometric data.
Unity AR Developer
- Led the development of a concept app using the Unity engine and Apple's ARKit.
- Provided guidance and advice for further development.
- Structured the app using extremely modular code and dependency injection.
Director | Owner
- Used this company to self-publish my independent videogame works. Blunderboffins was incorporated in 2013.
- Created a large number of small video games for varied devices, including PC/Mac, web, and mobile.
- Co-designed, coded, and created the visual art for Shu's Garden—a sandbox game nominated for the best social/casual game at the Canadian Video Game Awards in 2014.
- Researched and experimented with interactive story techniques, including a substantial fictional work (The Odd Time Club) created with funding from the Ontario Arts Council.
- Wrote algorithms for simulating ecosystems and procedural generation of flora (Shu's Garden).
- Used map data to create a simulation of the city of Toronto where users could play as the local wildlife (Greater Toronto Animalia). Funded by the Toronto Arts Council.
Fast Rope Labs
- Engineered and assisted in the design of an ARKit-powered app.
- Created an augmented-reality app that anchored a virtual world to a real-world location and provided a historical recreation overlaid on the present-day site.
- Contributed to the interactive design and visual aspects of the project.
Mind Brain Behaviour Hive
- Created sample content using a proprietary VR experience editor called DiVR.
- Connected experiences to wearable biometric devices as input.
- Provided quality assurance services for the alpha version of this toolset.
- Gave technical and design guidance on the further development of the toolset.
Unity Virtual Reality Developer
Postopian Games, Inc.
- Implemented a virtual reality video game with interactive story content.
- Designed technical specifications for the art pipeline.
- Was responsible for all core development using Unity engine and designing for Google Cardboard and Daydream.
Unity Engine Consultant
- Revised a prototype for a VR video viewing application.
- Provided technical guidance on implementing virtual reality (VR) with the Unity Game engine.
- Gave design guidance on and implemented several UX models for the above prototype.
- Provided technical guidance for an augmented reality startup.
- Created and helped to create various augmented prototypes using a wide range of AR toolkits within the Unity engine.
- Provided the design guidance for creating AR experiences.
Unity Engine Consultant | Developer
AWE Company Ltd
- Created augmented reality installations with historical dramatic content.
- Managed team members in the creation of a second-screen TV episode and interactive app.
- Created various prototypes for virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) apps.
- Worked primarily in Unity3D, using various AR and VR SDKs and equipment.
Lead Story Designer
AAA Game Studio (Toronto, Canada)
- Researched source material and wrote draft scripts for a story-heavy AAA action game.
- Worked with a scriptwriter and scenario design team to revise scripts.
- Assisted in voice recording and motion capture sessions.
- Directed a team of four in the creation of in-engine cutscenes, including art direction and schedule management.
- Created a rich script-writing tool to produce industry-standard scripts for actors and directors, as well as subtitles for the game data in seven languages.
- Monitored and edited text material in the game, the manual, and the website.
- Led, in my last five months, the localization of a mobile social game.
Teacher | Course Developer
Real Programming 4 Kids
- Taught programming courses to kids in grades 4—12, covering Visual Basic, Java, and C#.
- Developed an introductory course in C# where students created a 2D game using Windows Forms.
- Conceived an advanced course in C# where students created a 3D game using XNA and the Xbox 360.
- Created and taught an advanced Java course where students created a 2D game with pixel-based collision detection.
Augmented Reality Game for Mobile — Farhavenhttps://www.patchandpath.com/farhaven
I was the lead developer and handled tasks related to level design, scripting, animation, sound, and more.
Ported also to Android.
Intro to Unity Class at DreamSpace Hivehttps://www.2022.dinacon.org/2022/09/23/intro-to-unity-class-dreamspace-hive/
Independent Game — Shu's Garden (2013–2015)http://www.shusgarden.ca
I was the lead developer, co-game designer, and lead visual artist on this game. It was built using the Unity engine and self-published through my company, Blunderboffins Inc.
Ancient Demo Reel (2013–2015)https://youtu.be/WMo0UHdtKE0
AR technology has changed a lot since this reel was prepared, so it mainly serves to demonstrate a bit of my history in this area.
C#, ShaderLab, GLSL, Cg, Java, Prolog, Python, Visual Basic
Unity Pro, ARKit, Unity, Unity3D, Unity2D, Photon Unity Networking (PUN), Photon
SmartAR, Unity SDK, Vuforia SDK, Kudan SDK, Fuse, MonoDevelop, Adobe Illustrator, Unity-ARkit-Plugin, Premiere Pro 2017, Premiere Pro CC, SourceTree, Adobe Premiere Pro, Microsoft Visual Studio, Skype, Slack, GitLab, Git, GitHub, Blender, JetBrains Rider, Trac, HoloLens, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Photoshop
Mobile Game Design, Dependency Injection, App Development, UX Design, Agile Software Development, Automated Testing
ARCore, MacOS, Google VR, Windows, Vuforia, Samsung Gear VR, Oculus, iOS, Android, Oculus Rift, Google Daydream, Web, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Tango, Apple, Jupyter Notebook, Arduino
Unity Cloud Build
GPS, Mobile Game Development, Mobile Games, Games, Game Development, Unity3D AI, Kudan, Google Cardboard, Android App Design, iOS App Design, Augmented Reality (AR), Writing & Editing, Virtual Reality App Design, Procedural Generation, VR Interfaces, 3D Games, Virtual Reality (VR), Game Design, Video Games, Game Design Documentation, Unity Shaders, Game Physics, 2D Games, Freelancing, Mixed Reality (MR), Extended Reality (XR), Mixed Reality Developer, Unity Editor Scripting, Unity3D Pathfinding, Multiplayer, Unity Game Assets, Computer Science, English, Game Tools Development, Game AI, Unity Timeline, User Interface (UI), Git Repo, Console Games, Shader Technologies, Video Editing, Creative Coding, Creative Tech, Design, GUI Design, Video Game Consoles, Particle Effects, Shaders, Social Games, Meta AR Glasses, HTC Vive, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Mobile App Development, Quantum, ECS, Unity Networking & LAN, Unity3D Native Plugin Interface, Education, K-12 Education, Unity Visual Scripting, Unity Test Framework (UTF), Metaverse, Planning, Web-based VR, Biometrics, Video Players, Video Effects, Interaction Design (IxD), Sensor Data, PlayStation VR, Animation, Deep Neural Networks, Recurrent Neural Networks (RNN), Convolutional Neural Networks, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Sequence Models, Neural Networks, Wearables, Networking, Mindfulness, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT)
XNA, TensorFlow, Unity Video API, Windows Forms (WinForms)
Bachelor's Degree in Education
University of Windsor - Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Bachelor of Arts Degree with Honors in English and East Asian Studies with a minor in Philosophy
University of Toronto - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Introduction to Embedded Machine Learning (certificate no. ZQ8224DELWSN)
Edge Impulse | via Coursera
Deep Learning Specialization (certificate no. KXU7CEXKVVDH)
DeepLearning.ai | via Coursera
Stanford University | via Coursera
Artificial Intelligence Planning
University of Edinburgh | via Coursera
Neural Networks for Machine Learning
University of Toronto | via Coursera