Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Engineer and Software Developer
Kevin is a senior data engineer and professional services consultant providing software solutions for large and complex data storage, integration, analysis, and reporting. He has 22 years of experience developing, delivering, and maintaining data-centric software solutions and eight years of experience in analytical chemistry for the environmental and biotech industries. He has a special interest in developing innovative solutions for sustainable agriculture and land reclamation.
The most amazing...
...thing I've made is a high-volume financial index used by NYSE and the Federal Reserve to provide mortgage-rate analysts with leading indicators.
Owner and Principal Consultant
Ecological Data Services
- Delivered Dynamix 365 data integration solutions for a wholesale distribution company.
- Conducted a 2-week Microsoft Power BI implementation workshop for a school district.
- Conducted a 2-week Microsoft Power BI performance assessment for a real estate management company. Designed data source and gateway performance enhancements.
- Submitted a grant proposal for USDA's Data Science for Food and Agricultural Systems (DSFAS) program.
- Developed interoperability solutions to consume and produce soil health data in a new open-source format for environmental and agricultural assessments. Contributed to open-source projects for agricultural data-sharing and privacy protection.
MSSQL Data Engineer | Data Migration
Dimension Hospitality, LLC
- Developed the migration plan collaboratively for the accounting system.
- Completed data migration tasks, tracked migration status, and reported and researched errors.
- Applied modified rules to correct migration errors.
Senior Data Engineer
Black Knight (previously Optimal Blue)
- Acted as a data engineer with Optimal Blue's business intelligence team, working with product managers and team members to design and deliver business intelligence dashboard products for mortgage loan originators and secondary market investors.
- Developed event-stream processing for real-time collection and analysis of mortgage insurance quotes.
- Provided data-driven insights on loan origination workflows, investor hedging performance, competitive market analysis, and mortgage insurance quote comparisons.
- Automated delivery of aggregated rate-lock data for Optimal Blue's publicly available Mortgage Market Index (OBMMI).
- Used Agile and Scrum methodologies to prioritize product features and defect resolutions based on customer impact and value.
- Delivered cloud-based software products, product enhancements, and bug fixes using continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) methods.
Solutions Architecture Consultant
- Led the implementation of a data warehousing and reporting framework for a K-12 school district.
- Provisioned resources in Azure for a cloud-based data warehouse solution that used a combination of software as a service using SQL Azure and Power BI and infrastructure as a service for SSIS and SSAS.
- Developed ETL (SSIS) packages for integrating multiple student data sources and cleaning and transforming data to ensure accurate and consistent reporting.
- Created an SSAS tabular model to optimize and standardize data analysis and reporting.
- Developed and deployed Power BI reports and dashboards to support administrative and educational decisions for student success.
- Led reporting and visualization initiatives for a top-500 software company. Documented requirements and developed technical specifications for operational and executive dashboard reporting.
- Identified trends and recommended data visualizations to best support executive oversight and operational improvements.
- Performed data modernization assessments for multiple customers. Presented new features and conducted demonstrations of SQL 2016, APS, and Power BI.
- Delivered Microsoft Power BI proof of concept dashboards for customers in various industries.
- Performed SQL Server to Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse conversion for a health insurance company.
Business Intelligence Architect
- Designed and implemented business analytics and data visualization solutions for AMD enterprise data warehouse for marketing, sales, and finance departments.
- Consulted on project requirements, determined the best solution, provided accurate time estimates, executed projects on time, and delivered solutions that exceeded business partner expectations.
- Designed, developed, deployed, and supported production enterprise solutions using SQL Server Analysis Services, SQL Server Integration Services, and SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Evaluated and developed prototype solutions using new software platforms for advanced data visualization and mobile business intelligence.
Senior Solutions Engineer
- Delivered custom analytical reporting and data integration solutions for an enterprise feedback management suite of products.
- Created cost estimation for statements of work. Designed, developed, deployed, and supported custom solutions. Delivered SASS and on-premise solutions.
- Conducted presales discovery and business analysis consultation with prospective clients.
Lead Software Developer
State Bar of Texas
- Managed the production of annual state bar dues and occupation tax statements with third-party mailing service and processing of payment data.
- Upgraded the judicial poll ballot processing application from an Access database to a SQL Server 2000 database and created stored procedures to improve the performance and reliability of ballot processing.
- Performed general DBA functions, such as setting up database backups and maintenance plans, tuning indexes, setting permissions, restoring data, and troubleshooting performance issues.
- Worked with a team of consultants to analyze requirements and design, develop, and deploy data-driven websites.
- Developed new functionality and improved existing systems using T-SQL and Microsoft Access for the processing and tracking attorney occupational tax payments, membership dues payments, and journal subscriptions.
- Revised in-house time reporting application to add new custom features.
- Led the design and implementation of a laboratory information management system (LIMS) to automate the collection and reporting of pharmaceutical analysis data related to clinical trials.
- Developed a custom Microsoft Access application to automate the entry of laboratory instrument data and generate reports for pharmaceutical analysis.
- Performed data management and quality assurance reviews of mass spectrometry and high-performance liquid chromatography analyses for pharmaceutical companies.
Lower Colorado River Authority
- Performed environmental analysis of drinking water for volatile organic compounds and pesticides using mass spectrometry, gas chromatography, and high-performance liquid chromatography methods.
- Ensured chain of custody in sample receipt and preparation.
- Performed quality reviews of laboratory report data and interpretations.
Southwest Research Institute
- Performed environmental analysis using gas chromatography and mass spectrometry for environmental monitoring of an obsolete chemical weapons disposal program on Johnston Atoll.
- Conducted work under strict military clearance and safety protocols.
- Communicated laboratory results to JACADS plant operators and US Army oversight teams.
Optimal Blue Mortgage Market Indexhttps://www2.optimalblue.com/obmmi/
Texas Blackland Prairie Crop Yieldshttps://www.ecodataservices.com/2023/01/Texas-Blackland-Prairie-Crop-Yields/
SQL, T-SQL (Transact-SQL), SQL DML, Scala, C#.NET, Python, Visual Basic 6 (VB6), Visual Basic .NET (VB.NET), Python 3
Microsoft Power BI, SQL Server BI, Microsoft Excel, Synapse, Power Query, GIS, Microsoft Access
ETL, Business Intelligence (BI), Database Design, Agile
Azure SQL, SQL Stored Procedures, SQL Performance, Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), SQL Server 2017, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2008, Data Integration, DB, Database Architecture, Databases, Relational Databases, Database Administration (DBA), Data Lakes, Data Pipelines, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), Data Validation, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Azure Cosmos DB, Azure Table Storage
Azure Analysis Services, Azure Databricks, Azure Data Factory, Data Warehouse Design, SQL Server 2015, Data Analysis, Data Analytics, Data Visualization, Analytics, Dashboards, Data Engineering, Data Migration, CSV File Processing, Data Architecture, Data Queries, Performance Tuning, Microsoft Azure, Data Transformation, Science, Research & Critical Thinking, Agrotech, Ecology, Azure Data Lake, Indexing, Partitioning, Unstructured Data Analysis, Azure Stream Analytics, Cost Estimation, Professional Services, Custom Reports, Organic Chemistry, Environment, Operations, APIs, Finance, Office 365, Excel 365, DAX, Architecture, Economic Analysis, Technical Writing, Communication, Big Data, Fintech, ColdFusion, Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), GC Mass Spectrometry, Linear Regression, Clinical Trials, High-performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Big Data Architecture
Windows, Databricks, Azure Event Hubs, Azure Functions, Azure PaaS, Azure, Jupyter Notebook, Azure Synapse, Oracle Database, Azure Synapse Analytics, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Dedicated SQL Pool (formerly SQL DW)
PySpark, Azure Blob Storage API
Bachelor's Degree in Biology and Economics
Trinity University - San Antonio, USA
Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Engineer Associate
Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert: Data Management and Analytics Charter Member
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring