HTML5 Developer in Vancouver, WA, United States
Lead Developer, Team Augmentation, and Indie Contributor2014 - PRESENTToptal Clients
Technologies: Node.js, AngularJS, Meteor, DevOps
- Led the development of an MVP for a team personality assessment app.
- Developed the MVP for a medical information visualization app.
- Provided DevOps and application architecture for an enterprise API and networking app.
- Contributed independently to build a data scraping microservice for an auto sales app.
- Developed the MVP of Link social networking app.
Freelance Web Application Developer2011 - 2014Powma.com
Technologies: MEAN (MongoDB, Express, AngularJS, Node.js), PHP (Symfony, MySQL, MongoDB, Drupal), HTML5
- Developed world-class custom web applications for a variety of agencies and clients.
- Designed custom PHP web applications using Symfony2, Doctrine, MongoDB, CodeIgniter, LinkedIn, and OAuth.
- Designed custom MEAN (MongoDB, Express, Angular, and Node.js) web applications with MEAN.IO and Chrome App.
- Designed custom Drupal web applications with Drupal7, HighCharts, custom REST API) and Drupal Commerce.
- Contributed to open source software such as Drupal Quickstart (open source dev env for Drupal), Passport-Freshbooks (Node.js OAuth Passport strategy), and NewHeights (Custom jQuery Plugin).
Lead Developer and Director of Engineering2006 - 2010Secorix, Inc.
Technologies: PHP, LAMP, Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL
- Worked on the Critical Infrastructure Protection Self-Assessment Tool (CIP SAT), which is a self-assessment platform using CIP for assessing the physical security of US military bases worldwide.
- Acted as a developer to deliver the first phase of the project. Before my involvement, the project was in danger of being incomplete.
- Collaborated on the proposal, estimate, and SOW for the second phase.
- Managed the development team and led the second phase. Delivered the second phase on time and budget. Added multiple assessments, import/export, themes, database refactoring, and performance refactoring.
- Built the corporate website.
Transportation Captain and Picture Car Coordinator2003 - 2009Independent Movie Productions
- Worked on a variety of independent films, including The Darwin Awards, Valley of the Hearts Delight, Unflinching Triumph, and All About Evil.
- Managed script changes.
- Organized a team of eight and planned logistics for production locations and company moves.
- Located antique car enthusiasts to bring their cars to set.
Data Integration Manager2002 - 2003Edusoft
- Transformed Edusoft's data integration process. Previously, the company was selling more than production could fulfill.
- Upgraded the manual database integration process for K-12 test data.
- Cut CPU time from over five days to twelve hours, and then scaled up the process for larger sized customers.
- Hired and trained a team of four to triage and improve the process.
Programmer2001 - 2002Kenamea, Inc.
- Programmed a secure, reliable, once-and-only-once web messaging service with AJAX.
- Programmed integrated testing environments for QA.
- Conducted automated testing for continuous integration testing using Java and VB.
Consultant1997 - 1999Cap Gemini (now Earnst and Young)
Technologies: Java, Shell Scripting, Sybase, MCSE
- Supported international clients with extensive travel in the US and Europe and worked with international teams.
- Wrote manufacturing test software used in factories worldwide for HP.
- Redesigned a survey tracking system for a medical company.
- Redesigned a distributed database for an insurance company.
- Medical Visualization App (Development)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEBjm9bk51o
A really cool project I built from mockups to beta in 6 weeks. It involved visualizing medical data for doctors, so they could search by symptom or disease for related information and indications. It's a MEAN stack app (Mongo/Express/Angular/Node.js) built with a Neo4j graph database to facilitate stronger graph search.
- Simple Numbers Tools (Development)http://powma.com/projects/snTools.me/crabtree-dashboard.png
My client designed SNTools.me for an accounting consultancy. The consultancy wanted to automate and market their expertise in analyzing a company's financial numbers. They were managing the process with lots and lots of spreadsheets.
As the lead implementer on the team, we built the web app reports and upload API, and managed the integration with a third-party .NET connector. The app allowed users to analyze their Quickbooks data, upload a summary, and see custom reports and aggregation. We built a customizable report calculation and display engine using an RPN calculator with tokens.
We used Symfony2, Doctrine, MongoDB, Backbone, REST API, Quickbooks, and .NET integration.
- Powma.com (Development)http://powma.com
This website serves as my consulting page and portfolio. This site was built using Node.js, Express, Underscore.js, jQuery, and Wintersmith (a static site generator).
- Inscoop.com (Development)
A site for social networking featuring reviews and advanced search.
- Drupal Quickstart (Development)
Drupal Quickstart was an open source project with the vision to decrease the learning curve for Drupal Developers.
The project offered a downloadable virtual machine (VM) pre-configured with all the necessary software development tools into an easy-to-use and install VM.
As the project lead, I designed, built, and maintained the development environment for several years. In addition, I visited conferences and promoted the project. The project is currently inactive, but it was a great experience.
For more info, view the YouTube tutorials for the project, which have received over 34k hits: https://www.youtube.com/user/drupalquickstart
Libraries/APIsNode.js, Stripe API, Vue.js 2
PlatformsDocker, DigitalOcean, Linux, Heroku, Meteor, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
StorageNoSQL, MongoDB, Google Cloud, Neo4j
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science1992 - 1997University of Nebraska Omaha - Omaha, Nebraska
- Microsoft Certified System EngineerJANUARY 1998 - DECEMBER 2001Microsoft, Inc.