Verified Expert in Engineering
Michael is an expert full-stack web engineer, architect, and consultant with over two decades of experience and a degree in computer science. He has led, consulted, and supported teams in startups, manufacturing, defense, film, and healthcare. Building MVPs and startups, he has experience working on the front end, back end, and DevOps. Michael freelances to broaden his knowledge and participation in the future we are creating through technology.
Windows, Linux, Git
The most amazing...
...project I've built recently is a WebVR/Canvas visualization of the n-body problem with WebAssembly and Web Workers for performance.
Lead Developer, Team Augmentation, and Indie Contributor
- Led the development of a prototype of a law office management app.
- Consulted for an enterprise company digesting 1,200 legacy applications.
- Oversaw the creation of an MVP of a team personality assessment app.
- Augmented a team that built a data scraping microservice for an auto sales app.
- Created the MVP of a medical information visualization app.
- Handled DevOps and application architecture for an enterprise data warehouse web API and application.
- Led the technical side of a mortgage lending company as both a developer and its interim CTO.
Tech Lead | Architect
- Worked with PBS IT management and vendors to debug two software purchases that had stalled for almost a year.
- Wrote a "smoothing proxy" to slot requests into time slots so the API was never over-utilized. PBS has separate processes calling a 3rd party API. That API was returning 429 over the usage limit, causing cascading failures.
- Worked with PBS IT management and vendors in selecting a "Data Quality Tool" for PBS to analyze and fix data quality issues with their programming meta-data used by viewers to find quality television programming.
Entrepreneur, Architect, Developer
Drama With Friends and Others
- Worked on Drama With Friends, a casual multiplayer game designed to cultivate positive relationships.
- Evaluated Hasura, Apollo, Parse, and PostGraphile as GraphQL servers. Configured Hasura and an auth microservice using Docker and Kubernetes.
- Created development, stage, and production environments using Docker, Docker Compose, Docker Desktop for Windows, WSL, Kubernetes, and DigitalOcean.
- Used a TypeScript code generator to create TypeScript types from the Hasura GraphQL schema, having it as a central "type library" for microservices. Converted Node.js microservices to TypeScript.
- Built an external Node.js REST API server for an Unreal Engine game client to detect configuration. Evaluated UE4 plugins for mobile "deep links," allowing the client's game to start from the web page.
- Created an internal Node.js REST API to start game servers as Kubernetes Jobs in the cluster. Packaged a UE4 Linux dedicated server into Docker.
- Brought about a web server in UE4 with C++ to handle health and other Kubernetes cluster events (player presence and more).
- Implemented a TypeScript tool to parse plays (e.g., Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream") into a machine-readable JSON. Implemented a UE4 C++ module to import that data into the game server to start blocking scenes for players.
- Built two Unreal Engine plugins to provide C++ and Blueprint Scripting interface to REST APIs using UE4's "subsystems."
- Built an Electron application for a video editor project.
Founder and Lead Engineer
- Created a web-based video conferencing solution for experts to monetize their content. It allows experts to add a button to their content and clients to fill out a request, access payment info, and schedule a joint video conference.
- Developed the product as a widget for web and GitHub pages to enable direct connection between experts and developers.
- Deployed the product with a greater emphasis on the technical aspects and learned the importance of adding sales and marketing perspectives for a project's success.
Freelance Web Application Developer
- Developed custom web applications for a variety of agencies and clients.
- Designed custom PHP web applications using Symfony2, Doctrine, MongoDB, CodeIgniter, LinkedIn, and OAuth.
- Created custom MEAN (MongoDB, Express, Angular, and Node.js) web applications with MEAN.IO.
- Built custom Drupal web applications with Drupal 7, HighCharts, a custom REST API, and Drupal Commerce.
- Contributed to open-source software such as Drupal Quickstart (open source development environment for Drupal), Passport-Freshbooks (a Node.js OAuth Passport strategy), and New Heights (a custom jQuery plugin).
Lead Developer and Director of Engineering
- Worked on the Critical Infrastructure Protection Self-Assessment Tool (CIP SAT), a self-assessment platform using CIP for assessing the physical security of US military bases worldwide.
- Acted as a developer to deliver the first phase of the project. Before my involvement, the project was in danger of being incomplete.
- Collaborated on the proposal, estimate, and SOW for the second phase.
- Managed the development team and led and developed the second phase on time and within budget. Added multiple assessments, import/export, themes, database refactoring, and performance refactoring.
- Built a corporate website using a tool and template that is easy for marketing to customize.
Transportation Captain and Picture Car Coordinator
Independent Movie Production
- Worked on a variety of independent films, including The Darwin Awards, Valley of the Hearts Delight, Unflinching Triumph, and All About Evil.
- Organized a team of eight and planned logistics for production locations and company moves.
- Located antique car enthusiasts to bring their cars to set.
Data Integration Manager
- Transformed Edusoft's data integration process. Previously, the company was selling more than production could fulfill.
- Upgraded the manual database integration process for K-12 test data.
- Cut CPU time from over five days to twelve hours and then scaled up the process for larger-sized customers.
- Hired and trained a team of four to triage and improve the process.
- Developed automated testing environments for quality assurance.
- Conducted automated testing for continuous integration testing using Java and VB.
Cap Gemini (now Earnst and Young)
- Worked for a variety of clients in the United States and Europe.
- Wrote manufacturing test software used in workstation factories worldwide.
- Recreated a survey tracking system for a medical company.
- Redesigned a distributed database for an insurance company.
WebVR / Web Assembly Prototypehttps://github.com/MichaelJCole/n-body-wasm-webvr
Quasar and FeathersJS Integration (Vue, Node, Express, Socket.IO)https://github.com/MichaelJCole/Quathers
I created integration code and authentication forms for this experiment to learn both frameworks and foster open source. The Quasar team picked up the idea for their Quasar app extension.
Web Workers, Services Workers, and PWAs Talkhttps://slides.com/michaelcole/deck-1-6-5
Medical Visualization Apphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEBjm9bk51o
Simple Numbers Tools
As the lead implementer on the team, we built the web app reports and upload API, and managed the integration with a third-party .NET connector. The app allowed users to analyze their Quickbooks data, upload a summary, and see custom reports and aggregation. We built a customizable report calculation and display engine using an RPN calculator with tokens.
We used Symfony2, Doctrine, MongoDB, Backbone, REST API, Quickbooks, and .NET integration.
I created a downloadable PHP development environment using VIrtualBox VM. At the time, setting up a debugging environment in Linux was a big challenge for devs coming from Windows.
Drupal Quickstart packaged a working dev environment into a downloadable VM that just worked. This decreased the learning curve for new open source contributers.
I also created YouTube tutorials for the project which got 50,000+ views.
WebVR Part 2: Web Workers and Browser Edge Computing
WebVR Part 3: Unlocking the Potential of WebAssembly and AssemblyScript
WebVR Part 4: Canvas Data Visualizations
WebVR Part 5: Design and Implementation
Express.js, Quasar, JSON Web Tokens (JWT), OAuth 2, Unreal Engine, Nuxt.js, Tailwind CSS, Hapi.js, Electron
Node.js, Stripe API, REST APIs, Vue, Vuex, WebRTC, WebVR, QuickBooks API, HTML5 Canvas
DevOps, REST, Microservices, Scrum, UX Design
Docker, DigitalOcean, Linux, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Windows, Meteor
NoSQL, MongoDB, Neo4j, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Graph Databases
Full-stack, Web Development, APIs, Architecture, MVP Design, Back-end, Technical Architecture, Full-stack Development, Minimum Viable Product (MVP), Git Flow, Software Architecture, Dashboards, Leadership, WebSockets, Cloud, Shell Scripting, AssemblyScript, WebAssembly, Progressive Web Applications (PWA), Service Workers, CI/CD Pipelines, User Interface (UI), User Experience (UX), Distributed Systems, Firefox Extensions, Chrome Extensions
Git, Docker Compose
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science
University of Nebraska Omaha - Omaha, NE, USA