Lead Developer, Team Augmentation, and Indie Contributor2014 - PRESENTToptal Clients
Technologies: DevOps, Meteor, AngularJS, Node.js
- Led the development of a prototype of a law office management app.
- Consulted for an enterprise company digesting 1,200 legacy applications.
- Oversaw the creation of an MVP of a team personality assessment app.
- Developed a prototype of a social networking app.
- Augmented a team that built a data scraping microservice for an auto sales app.
- Created the MVP of a medical information visualization app.
- Handled DevOps and application architecture for an enterprise API and networking app.
- Led the technical side of a mortgage lending company as both a developer and its interim CTO.
Entrepreneur, Architect, Developer2020 - 2021Drama With Friends
- Worked on Drama With Friends, a casual multiplayer game designed to cultivate positive relationships. The project is currently paused to evaluate the scope, vision, capability, and execution.
- Evaluated Hasura, Apollo, Parse, and PostGraphile as GraphQL servers. Configured Hasura and an auth microservice using Docker and Kubernetes.
- Created development, stage, and production environments using Docker, Docker-compose, Docker-for-windows, WSL, Kubernetes, and Digital Ocean.
- Used a TypeScript code generator to create TypeScript types from the Hasura GraphQL schema, having it as a central "type library" for microservices. Converted Node.js microservices to TypeScript.
- Built an external Node REST API server for an Unreal Engine game client to detect configuration. Evaluated UE4 plugins for mobile "deep links", allowing the client's game to start from the web page.
- Built an internal Node REST API to start game servers as Kubernetes Jobs in the cluster. Packaged a UE4 Linux dedicated server into Docker.
- Implemented a web server in UE4 with C++ to handle /healthz and other Kubernetes cluster events (player presence and more).
- Implemented a TypeScript tool to parse plays (e.g. Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Nights Dream") into a machine-readable JSON. Implemented a UE4 C++ module to import that data into the game server to start blocking scenes for players.
- Built two Unreal Engine plugins to provide C++/Blueprint Scripting interface to REST APIs using UE4's "subsystems".
Freelance Web Application Developer2011 - 2014Powma.com
Technologies: HTML5, Drupal, MySQL, Symfony, PHP, Node.js, AngularJS, Express.js, MongoDB, MEAN Stack
- Developed custom web applications for a variety of agencies and clients.
- Designed custom PHP web applications using Symfony2, Doctrine, MongoDB, CodeIgniter, LinkedIn, and OAuth.
- Designed custom MEAN (MongoDB, Express, Angular, and Node.js) web applications with MEAN.IO.
- Built custom Drupal web applications with Drupal 7, HighCharts, a custom REST API, and Drupal Commerce.
- Contributed to open-source software such as Drupal Quickstart (open source development environment for Drupal), Passport-Freshbooks (a Node.js OAuth Passport strategy), and New Heights (a custom jQuery plugin).
Lead Developer and Director of Engineering2006 - 2010Secorix, Inc.
Technologies: MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, LAMP, PHP
- Worked on the Critical Infrastructure Protection Self-Assessment Tool (CIP SAT), which is a self-assessment platform using CIP for assessing the physical security of US military bases worldwide.
- Acted as a developer to deliver the first phase of the project. Before my involvement, the project was in danger of being incomplete.
- Collaborated on the proposal, estimate, and SOW for the second phase.
- Managed the development team and led the second phase. Delivered the second phase on time and budget. Added multiple assessments, import/export, themes, database refactoring, and performance refactoring.
- Built the corporate website.
Transportation Captain and Picture Car Coordinator2003 - 2009Independent Movie Production
- Worked on a variety of independent films, including The Darwin Awards, Valley of the Hearts Delight, Unflinching Triumph, and All About Evil.
- Organized a team of eight and planned logistics for production locations and company moves.
- Located antique car enthusiasts to bring their cars to set.
Data Integration Manager2002 - 2003Edusoft
- Transformed Edusoft's data integration process. Previously, the company was selling more than production could fulfill.
- Upgraded the manual database integration process for K-12 test data.
- Cut CPU time from over five days to twelve hours, and then scaled up the process for larger sized customers.
- Hired and trained a team of four to triage and improve the process.
Programmer2001 - 2002Kenamea, Inc.
- Developed integrated testing environments for QA.
- Conducted automated testing for continuous integration testing using Java and VB.
Consultant1997 - 1999Cap Gemini (now Earnst and Young)
Technologies: MCSE | Business Intelligence, Sybase, Shell Scripting, Java
- Worked for clients in US and Europe.
- Wrote manufacturing test software used in workstation factories worldwide.
- Redesigned a survey tracking system for a medical company.
- Redesigned a distributed database for an insurance company.