Full-stack Staff Engineer2021 - PRESENTCopper
- Wrote an API Change Policy to govern the evolution of the company’s APIs. This policy created a consensus on the team around how to evolve the API, leading to streamlined planning of upcoming features.
- Planned a transition from weekly releases to continuous delivery, which will greatly speed the company’s release cadence. The plan is approved by leadership and is scheduled for Q3 of this year, when I will lead the transition.
- Designed an adaptive flow control algorithm based on TCP/IP Congestion Control to govern the ingestion of data from Sherlock (a newly-acquired company) into Copper’s systems. This enabled Copper to complete a major milestone in Sherlock’s acquisition.
- Greatly improved the observability of the company’s Webhook delivery jobs for our operations and support teams. This has greatly improved our Support team’s ability to diagnose Webhook delivery issues.
Senior Web Developer2018 - 2020Shopify
- Built and shipped several features including leading the web development for purchase orders.
- Managed and led the web development work of a project to port the transfers feature to React.
- Mentored and onboarded team members to create the inventory web team as a founding member.
- Managed an intern developer until their early promotion to full-time developer.
- Built the parser/compiler of a prototype virtual machine-based Liquid renderer; this new engine is now in production and showing 4x-10x performance gains. My work "blew [the] mind" of the Shopify CEO.
Software Development Engineer II2016 - 2018Amazon.com
- Implemented incoming message and call notifications to users of the Alexa application for iPhone. As a critical component of the core experience, my code executes at least several million times per month with few defects and operational issues.
- Led a project to transition the communications features of the Alexa application to React Native, to allow faster iteration on a single codebase for iOS and Android.
- Reduced unnecessary pages on the team's on-call practices by implementing suppression triggers—improving quality of life for on-call engineers by reducing night-time pages.
Principal Software Applications Developer2015 - 2016Entrust
Technologies: Java, Swing, React
- Served as a lead developer of IntelliTrust: the company's cloud-based authentication and authorization platform; designed the system’s service-oriented architecture and implemented its inter-service communication framework.
- Designed and led the implementation of the project’s React-based front end.
- Implemented a multi-tenant SAML identity provider that was capable of federated authentication with Google Apps, Office 365, Salesforce, and other SAML Service Providers.