Staff Software Engineer2021 - PRESENTClearco
Technologies: Ruby on Rails (RoR), TypeScript, Architecture, Technical Leadership, Go
- Designed and implemented a Stripe-based invoicing system for one of the company's new product initiatives.
- Joined the company's Architect's Chapter as a founding member, helped establish the group's mission of improving the engineering culture at Clearco, and presented the first proposal to the group.
- Designed and re-architected a major redesign of the external account integration system responsible for ensuring the company's adjudication process has a reliable data stream for producing accurate capital offers.
Full-stack Staff Engineer2021 - 2021Copper
- Wrote an API change policy to govern the evolution of the company’s APIs. This policy created a consensus on the team around how to evolve the API, leading to streamlined planning of upcoming features.
- Planned a transition from weekly releases to continuous delivery, which will greatly speed the company’s release cadence. The plan is approved by leadership and is scheduled for Q3 of this year when I will lead the transition.
- Designed an adaptive flow control algorithm based on TCP/IP congestion control to govern the ingestion of data from Sherlock (a newly acquired company) into Copper’s systems, enabling Copper to complete a major milestone in Sherlock’s acquisition.
- Improved greatly the observability of the company’s Webhook delivery jobs for our operations and support teams. This has dramatically improved our support team’s ability to diagnose Webhook delivery issues.
Senior Web Developer2018 - 2020Shopify
- Built and shipped several features, including leading the web development for purchase orders.
- Managed and led the web development work of a project to port the transfers feature to React.
- Mentored and onboarded team members to create the inventory web team as a founding member.
- Managed an intern developer until their early promotion to full-time developer.
- Built the parser/compiler of a prototype virtual machine-based Liquid renderer; this new engine is now in production and showing 4-10 times performance gains. My work "blew [the] mind" of the Shopify CEO.
Software Development Engineer II2016 - 2018Amazon.com
- Implemented incoming message and call notifications to iPhone users of the Alexa application. As a critical component of the core experience, my code executes at least several million times per month with few defects and operational issues.
- Led a project to transition the communications features of the Alexa application to React Native to allow faster iteration on a single codebase for iOS and Android.
- Reduced unnecessary pages on the team's on-call practices by implementing suppression triggers—improving quality of life for on-call engineers by reducing night-time pages.
Principal Software Applications Developer2015 - 2016Entrust
Technologies: Java, Swing, React, Amazon Web Services (AWS), APIs, RESTful APIs
- Served as a lead developer of IntelliTrust: the company's cloud-based authentication and authorization platform; designed the system’s service-oriented architecture and implemented its inter-service communication framework.
- Designed and led the implementation of the project’s React-based front end.
- Implemented a multi-tenant SAML identity provider that was capable of federated authentication with Google Apps, Office 365, Salesforce, and other SAML Service Providers.