Noah is a senior software developer with nearly a decade of experience in Ruby and PHP. He loves to focus on the little things that will make massive improvements to the users' day-to-day. His project experience includes eCommerce, social media, and internal tooling.
ExperienceGit - 9 yearsMySQL - 9 yearsPHP - 9 yearsRuby - 8 yearsAgile Software Development - 8 yearsPostgreSQL - 8 yearsRuby on Rails (RoR) - 8 yearsAmazon EC2 - 3 years
MacOS, Vim, Git, Ruby, PHP, PostgreSQL, MySQL
The most amazing...
...thing I've worked on for my own company is a school lunch menu app used weekly by thousands of families in three states.
Senior Software Engineer
- Led a project to improve our internal tooling for processing transferring accounts out of Wealthsimple. The improvements led to nearly 40 hours in operation time saved per month.
- Co-led an internal study group to help new organization members learn Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
- Led a project for one of our microservices to support unifying our applications into one app.
- Participated in an internal mentorship program as a mentor for two more junior engineers.
- Designed and built the foundational architecture for a new integrations system which reduced the time to make most integrations by 50% and took the time to modify settings from over an hour to just a few minutes.
- Acted as a team lead for over a year, focusing on building integrations for the launch of Air Canada's Aeroplan loyalty program relaunch.
- Designed and implemented a new inventory management system to support our complex system of program segmentation. Collaborated with our lead architect on this project.
Owner and Developer
- Took over the company after it was spun off from my previous employer, Agape Red. Took the product from two to five school districts in one year. At its peak, it was used by over 10,000 families weekly.
- Built a C# application for Windows computers to easily import school's nutritional information from Nutrikids, a commonly used resource for menu planning.
- Created a mobile and web app for online ordering in schools. Students were able to order ahead of time and skip the lines in the cafeteria.
Software Consultant and Developer
Agape Red (OpsCompass)
- Developed a social networking application for football coaches and utilized Neo4j to create networking recommendations and determine mutual acquaintances.
- Contributed to Agape Red's internal project management tool, Heartbeat. I improved the experience for our clients by strengthening our time-tracking integrations and adding more ways for clients to give feedback.
- Contributed to Red Basket, a crowdfunding platform funded by Woodmen of the World. I built additional reporting tools for administrators and worked with the design team to improve the user experience.
ISTA Auth and Admin Portalhttps://auth.istaonline.org
The entire application was built without a framework and lacked modern security and organizational patterns that come with something like Laravel or Rails. This put data in a vulnerable position and made making changes very difficult.
With the new auth and admin portal, I salvaged the existing business logic for end users, working perfectly fine but putting it all behind a new authentication flow. The users noticed very little difference but still could use the features they were used to.
For the admins, I was able to rebuild sections of the existing admin portal page-by-page in the new system and fall back to the existing system for things I had not yet moved over. This new system allowed me to build features 3x as fast as in the old system, integrate unit and integration tests and leave the code in a cleaner state for future developers.
Pyrex | Strongly Typed Rubyhttps://github.com/ActsAsAnAntipattern/pyrex
Borrowing from the testing framework, RSpec, I settled on mimicking the structure of a method declaration by using blocks, with arguments passed being the method arguments.
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Bootstrap, Laravel, Kohana, Ruby on Rails 4, React Native, Ember.js
jQuery, Devise, REST APIs, React
Git, RSpec, Vim Text Editor
REST, Agile Software Development, B2B, B2C
MacOS, DigitalOcean, Amazon EC2
PostgreSQL, JSON, MySQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3)
API Integration, Component-based Architecture, Cordova