Verified Expert in Engineering
Phil is a full-stack engineer and architect with 20 years of experience taking novel systems from design to launch, whether they are performing natural language analysis for a startup or processing trillions of data updates for Google Maps. Building a successful system is not a purely technical endeavor; Phil's track record is critically supported by his consensus-building skills and thorough comprehension of business objectives.
MacOS, Linux, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Emacs, PyCharm
The most amazing...
...system I've developed is called CrossHair, which helps developers confirm or deny Python program properties by modeling Python semantics in the Z3 SMT solver.
Freelance Full-stack Developer
- Developed end-to-end solutions as a full-stack developer for the Protagonist collaboration platform, including chat, forums, profiles, and a web publishing system.
- Created a content recommendation system using deep neural network sentence embeddings.
- Led the requirements gathering discussions in the early stages and much of the technology selection and design work.
Tech Lead | Tech Lead Manager
- Redesigned and led the implementation of a data consistency enforcement system in Google Maps as the tech lead of the geo schema team. As a result, complex new data quality rules have been written and applied to billions of proposed map data changes.
- Championed new projects as the tech lead manager of the geographic changes team to facilitate continuous data refreshing and drove consensus across the Google teams. Executing this vision required managing and expanding the team.
- Owned and maintained the systems that understand address-related data and can put the structured data into a localized presentation format in Google Maps products and APIs. Prioritized requests and developed a long-term plan to evolve these systems.
Data Scientist | Engineer
- Developed computer vision systems, including face detection and recognition. Implemented and trained convolutional neural networks to detect photos of pets, people, and sunsets.
- Implemented a scalable photo analysis pipeline, back-end API, and photo storage system using Python and AWS.
- Created classifiers to assign and identify user archetypes resulting from staff work-life quizzes. Analyzed quiz results to make inferences about company health.
Freelance Enterprise Architect
- Designed TRAC's next-generation software stack for a team of 25 developers, which included language, framework, and library selections.
- Redesigned the company's entire software development lifecycle, introducing automated unit and integration testing, configuration management, and deployment automation.
- Assisted with hardware and software vendor analysis and selection.
- Developed a custom, distributed data storage system based on Apache Lucene to power Daylife's API, which supports filtering multiple arbitrary fields and sorting their weighted combinations over 100,000,000 news articles.
- Implemented natural language processing algorithms for analyzing news articles through term vector clustering, classification, and named entity resolution.
- Designed Daylife's microservices architecture and framework, segmenting Daylife systems into 50 independently deployable and testable subsystems.
Senior Associate | Consultant | Senior Consultant
- Implemented various projects for CSX train dispatch, including software to simulate field equipment such as signals and switches.
- Developed a technical disaster recovery plan and a strategic ten-year roadmap.
- Maintained systems to manage a non-qualified deferred compensation plan for The Hartford.
- Created printing press optimization prototypes for R. R. Donnelley.
- Enhanced and customized intermodal logistics software for CSX and Crowley Maritime.
You can read about the adventure at medium.com/p/db480ace2eb3.
REST APIs, Apache Lucene, Node.js, SQLAlchemy, React, Vue, TensorFlow, FFmpeg
REST, Management, Fuzz Testing, Database Design, DevOps, Data Science, Microservices, Testing, ETL
Software Architecture, Back-end, APIs, Architecture, Full-stack, Software Design, API Integration, Scalability, Search Engines, Search Engine Development, Formal Methods, Natural Language Processing (NLP), CI/CD Pipelines, Front-end, Legacy Software, Integration, Legacy Code, Migration, Technical Leadership, Data Engineering, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Computer Science, Contract Testing, Maps, Machine Learning, Deployment, Progressive Web Applications (PWA), Cordova
Flask, ASP.NET Web API, AngularJS, .NET, Angular
GIS, Emacs, RabbitMQ, NGINX, Shell, PyCharm, Auth0, Terraform
PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Memcached, MySQL, NoSQL
MacOS, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Linux, Oracle, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science and Engineering
University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA