Freelance Full-stack Developer2021 - 2022Protagonist
Technologies: Python, REST, PostgreSQL, Natural Language Processing (NLP), React, CSS, HTML, SQL, Database Design, TypeScript, Back-end, TensorFlow, APIs, CI/CD Pipelines, Auth0, Front-end, Full-stack Development, Docker, Terraform, Full-stack, Software Design, API Integration, REST APIs, Search Engines, Amazon Web Services (AWS), DevOps
- Developed end-to-end solutions as a full-stack developer for the Protagonist collaboration platform, including chat, forums, profiles, and a web publishing system.
- Created a content recommendation system using deep neural network sentence embeddings.
- Led the requirements gathering discussions in the early stages and much of the technology selection and design work.
Tech Lead | Tech Lead Manager2016 - 2021
- Redesigned and led the implementation of a data consistency enforcement system in Google Maps as the tech lead of the geo schema team. As a result, complex new data quality rules have been written and applied to billions of proposed map data changes.
- Championed new projects as the tech lead manager of the geographic changes team to facilitate continuous data refreshing and drove consensus across the Google teams. Executing this vision required managing and expanding the team.
- Owned and maintained the systems that understand address-related data and can put the structured data into a localized presentation format in Google Maps products and APIs. Prioritized requests and developed a long-term plan to evolve these systems.
Data Scientist | Engineer2014 - 2016Samsung NEXT
- Developed computer vision systems, including face detection and recognition. Implemented and trained convolutional neural networks to detect photos of pets, people, and sunsets.
- Implemented a scalable photo analysis pipeline, back-end API, and photo storage system using Python and AWS.
- Created classifiers to assign and identify user archetypes resulting from staff work-life quizzes. Analyzed quiz results to make inferences about company health.
Freelance Enterprise Architect2012 - 2013TRAC Intermodal
Technologies: C#, Testing, Deployment, ASP.NET Web API, Software Architecture, Back-end, APIs, CI/CD Pipelines, REST, .NET, Architecture, Legacy Software, Integration, Legacy Code, API Integration, ETL, Technical Leadership, REST APIs
- Designed TRAC's next-generation software stack for a team of 25 developers, which included language, framework, and library selections.
- Redesigned the company's entire software development lifecycle, introducing automated unit and integration testing, configuration management, and deployment automation.
- Assisted with hardware and software vendor analysis and selection.
Engineer2004 - 2012Daylife
Technologies: Python, Microservices, PostgreSQL, RabbitMQ, NGINX, Memcached, Apache Lucene, Software Architecture, PHP, SQL, Database Design, Back-end, APIs, CI/CD Pipelines, REST, NoSQL, Full-stack Development, Architecture, Full-stack, Integration, Software Design, API Integration, ETL, SQLAlchemy, REST APIs, HTML, Scalability, Data Engineering, Search Engines, Search Engine Development, DevOps
- Developed a custom, distributed data storage system based on Apache Lucene to power Daylife's API, which supports filtering multiple arbitrary fields and sorting their weighted combinations over 100,000,000 news articles.
- Implemented natural language processing algorithms for analyzing news articles through term vector clustering, classification, and named entity resolution.
- Designed Daylife's microservices architecture and framework, segmenting Daylife systems into 50 independently deployable and testable subsystems.
Senior Associate | Consultant | Senior Consultant2001 - 2004Princeton Consultants
- Implemented various projects for CSX train dispatch, including software to simulate field equipment such as signals and switches.
- Developed a technical disaster recovery plan and a strategic ten-year roadmap.
- Maintained systems to manage a non-qualified deferred compensation plan for The Hartford.
- Created printing press optimization prototypes for R. R. Donnelley.
- Enhanced and customized intermodal logistics software for CSX and Crowley Maritime.