Verified Expert in Engineering
Roderick is an information management expert specializing in business intelligence and data development. He is fully versed in all aspects of the data warehouse lifecycle, including data design, ETL, reporting, installation, implementation, and administration. Roderick seeks a pivotal role to leverage his substantial experience and skills and add value, stability, and success to a growing organization.
ETL, Oracle PL/SQL, Business Intelligence (BI), PL/SQL, Oracle, Data Migration, Data Analysis, SAP BusinessObjects (BO), SAP BusinessObjects Data Service (BODS)
The most amazing...
...software package I helped develop is a CMS for internet radio—handling the front-end HTML generation and all transactions—using Oracle PL/SQL.
Database Reporting Analyst
- Consulted on database reporting for an industry-leading contract office furniture and interior company.
- Developed, tested, and administered internal reports in SSRS running on a SQL Server transactional database. Wrote and tested Transact-SQL stored procedures for populating these reports.
- Designed, built, and tested project status, revenue, and market analysis reports and graphical presentations in SSRS and Power BI.
- Co-designed new inventory and product catalog data models. Created ad hoc SSIS tasks and SQL queries to populate the databases and select tables in the main transactional system, sourcing from a flat file, Excel, the file system, or native SQL.
- Wrote and tested code fixes, feature enhancements, and cosmetic changes for a front-end Perl CGI interface running on top of the same transactional system in an auxiliary role—to reduce the workload on our primary developer.
Business Intelligence Data Architect
- Consulted on business intelligence for a direct auto loan division of a Fortune 500 bank. The scope covered ETL and reporting.
- Wrote, designed, and optimized an SSIS package to transfer an Oracle direct auto loan application source data into a new SQL Server reporting data mart.
- Tested and optimized Transact-SQL procedures called by SSIS, which I wrote to transform source-replicated data to the corresponding target data warehouse formats.
- Designed and built administrative dashboard reports using SSRS, SharePoint Server, and Power View.
- Analyzed raw SQL queries from MicroStrategy reports for adding new data elements that would eliminate the need for raw SQL.
CTG HealthCare Solutions
- Acted as an ETL consultant for a healthcare IT services solutions provider as a member of a team of ETL developers.
- Wrote and tested SSIS packages to load new healthcare customer, claims, and laboratory data into the existing data warehouse.
- Administered multiple SSIS configuration settings for the separate development, QA, and the production environments for all the team members' packages (not just mine).
- Conducted a data analysis of incoming flat file source data for data mapping, defect management, or unit testing.
- Coordinated the user requirements with a business analyst.
Senior Technical Analyst
- Worked as a data analyst and developer for a financial and business services IT consultant group which specialized in public employee retirement systems.
- Wrote and tested the data migration and data reconciliation stored procedures in SQL Server (T-SQL) or Oracle (PL/SQL) to transform the legacy pension data to the new vendor data model, both for conversion and data cleanup.
- Wrote SSIS and DTS packages for an assortment of tasks: importing source legacy and other third-party non-RDBMS data, exporting transformed data to flat file or transferring error result sets from the vendor database back to the conversion database for source/target data validation.
- Wrote, in Oracle systems, SQL*Loader command scripts for similar load operations outlined in the previous item (output routines were in PL/SQL).
- Created and managed the MS Access databases for QA and data-mapping.
Oracle Developer and Analyst
- Acted as an Oracle consultant for a Fortune 500 corporate reseller.
- Wrote and tested Oracle 10g RAC packages for external applications (usually Java) to access operational data store data; these included multiple entry points called directly by the Java front-end as well as back-end object and transactional layers.
- Worked as the technical lead for integration testing between the DBA and application development teams.
- Wrote and tested triggers and stored procedures to populate ODS tables from mirror tables of the transactional IMS legacy system.
- Wrote Perl script to parse JDB error logs as part of a data-quality initiative.
Product Systems Analyst
- Worked as a systems analyst for Elite Business Intelligence, an award-winning OEM co-branded version of the entire Business Objects Enterprise suite packaged with the Elite Business Intelligence Data Warehouse and prepackaged business objects documents; I worked in the full lifecycle development, QA, and support.
- Led the development for the ETL process using Business Objects Data Integrator.
- Wrote and tested the data integrator workflows to transfer source data from Elite Enterprise production database into business intelligence data warehouse tables.
- Ported existing Elite Enterprise reports to BusinessObjects Web Intelligence.
- Oversaw beta testing and quality control.
- Coordinated the customer support of the product: trained the front-line and field support, acted as the primary contact for escalated development support, and provided onsite support for customer beta sites.
- Conducted, assisted, and supervised multiple customer installations and migrated customer base from Business Objects 5.1.x to Enterprise 6.5.
- Managed defects and issues.
- Worked on the initial development and new feature testing; coordinated and tracked comprehensive and regression testing between QA and development.
Business Objects Reports Developer
- Acted as a Business Objects consultant for a healthcare industry professional public liability reporting system.
- Built and tested healthcare loss prevention reports using Business Objects.
- Designed and created a reporting universe in Business Objects Designer.
- Wrote SQL transformation load scripts for auxiliary reporting tables in Oracle 8i and 9i.
Oracle Database Analyst | Perl Developer
- Consulted as a database analyst for streaming advertising reporting data warehouse.
- Scoped, designed, and tested ETL algorithms in Oracle 8i PL/SQL, then served as technical support for Java developers who ported these algorithms to the Java Database Connectivity.
- Built and administered multiple test Oracle instances for development and testing environments.
- Wrote a web reporting user interface using Perl CGI scripts, querying reporting tables in Informix.
- Scaled and built additional control and support tables in Informix.
Senior Oracle Data Warehouse Analyst, Developer, and Administrator
Enigma Digital | Clear Channel Interactive
- Acted as the lead Oracle PL/SQL developer, designer, and analyst for a radio website's traffic-reporting data warehouse.
- Worked on the full data warehouse life cycle: designed and built a physical data model using ERWin; scoped, designed, and tested daily ETL routines in Oracle 8i PL/SQL; managed ETL reports in Excel, and administered the final live process.
- Wrote and tested PL/SQL packages and stored procedures for a web interface used to publish, manage, and administer integrated media websites; also developed back-end on the Oracle Application Server.
- Wrote and tested back-end SQL procedures which were necessary for front-end Java servlets to call for data access.
Data Design Analyst
Sony Pictures Entertainment
- Worked as a data design consultant for an entertainment industry OLAP reporting data mart; worked within the full data warehouse lifecycle.
- Built, designed, and tested executive-level OLAP reports using Business Objects; starting with requirements gathering and proceeding through to the final deployment.
- Created batch OLAP reporting procedures in Business Objects Document Agent.
- Designed a core data mart model and designed, created, and administered multiple OLAP reporting universes in Business Objects Designer; including custom reporting objects and universe synchronization.
- Scoped, designed, and created OLAP reporting data mart in Oracle 7.3, with load scripts, user functions, and data integrity checks in PL/SQL.
CRM System Services Analyst
- Acted as a CRM and data warehouse analyst and as a member of one of IBM's first Professional Services teams—supporting new data warehouse customers on multiple database platforms.
- Built and supported financial data warehouses for RS6000-based systems running DB2/PE 1.2.
- Wrote data population scripts in DB2 SQL and supplementary data transformation scripts in Perl.
- Developed OLAP reports in Business Objects.
- Trained IBM personnel in proprietary CPM-developed solution package that includes data analysis, cleansing, transformation, data mining, and campaign management modules.
- Helped design logical and physical data models for banking, insurance, healthcare, and retail warehouses, using ERWin 3.0. The banking prototype is apparently the core of the current existing IBM BDW model, still in use.
- Analyzed research for a customer marketing firm—examining neural networks, genetic algorithms, and other potential technologies to implement in the company's data quality, data mining, and campaign management software.
- Acted as the chief onsite representative for six months at the customer site during full software install/database build.
- Built proprietary banking data warehouse from flat file data, cleansed and transformed data, provided analyst support for customer scoring package.
- Wrote SQL database query scripts for the purpose of prepping variables for an in-house neural network scoring package on multiple SQL platforms including Oracle, Teradata, Access, and DB2.
- Developed the preliminary version of a profitability analysis scoring package in Visual Basic of which the underlying SQL algorithm remained at the core of the first production-grade version.
Toad, Microsoft Access, Oracle Designer, Erwin, Microsoft Power BI, Power View, Apache Tomcat
ETL, Database Development, Business Intelligence (BI), OLAP
Oracle, Microsoft BI Stack, Unix, SharePoint
PL/SQL, SQL Server 2014, Oracle PL/SQL, OLTP, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), Oracle 11g, SQL Loader, Oracle SQL Developer, MariaDB, MySQL, IBM Informix, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), IBM Db2, Teradata
Data Warehouse Design, Data Warehousing, Data Modeling, Data Migration, Data Analysis, Scripting, Data Mining, Web Intelligence, SAP BusinessObjects (BO), SAP BusinessObjects Data Service (BODS), Data Architecture, Business Objectives, CGI, MicroStrategy, Internet Information Services (IIS)
Master of Arts in Applied Mathematics
University of California, San Diego - La Jolla, CA, USA
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
Harvey Mudd College - Claremont, CA, USA
MCTS 70-448: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance