Verified Expert in Engineering
Rodrigo is a software architect whose natural curiosity has led him to excel on several fronts, including low- to high-level architecture, handcrafted microcontroller operating systems, and ultra-high-speed stock trading server clusters. Rodrigo is passionate about programming, from low-level device drivers working on a limited kernel computing environment to high-level, robust distributed-workload network services that provide virtually unlimited service to consumers.
The most amazing...
...things I've done were creating an ARM OS from scratch, building one of my modern C++ libraries, and my patent-pending screencast video codec.
Senior C++ Developer
Mantis Health, Inc.
- Rewrote the medical device rendering engine to utilize the hardware's potential fully.
- Reduced glass-to-glass latency in half on all four displays, making the medical device way smoother for surgeons to use.
- Took complete ownership of the software components in order to optimize the system entirely.
- Implemented recording functionalities with simultaneous H.265 hardware accelerated video encoding without impacting the delicate real-time low-latency video feed viewers.
- Delivered technical product management notes on current system specifications on zero-trust secure video storage and delivery.
- Corrected use of cryptographic primitives for the secure operation of the system.
- Provided cryptographic guidelines for both server-side and client-side operations.
C and Python Developer
Dracal Technologies Limited
- Adapted low-level USB controller code to be portable for Linux, macOS, and Windows.
- Adapted code to properly use USB devices under Windows.
- Created the Python wheel for a project to be universally distributed.
- Delivered a single codebase that automatically builds for all three supported platforms.
NVIDIA Jetson Expert
Ivy Next Ltd.
- Implemented a full-motion smooth accelerated video for the medical device.
- Went from 15 frames per second to 60 fps, with room to spare for future analytical AI.
- Implemented accelerated H.264 and H.265 encoding functionality.
- Created vanity features such as on-screen displays, video censorship, and a platform to achieve it easily.
macOS Application Architect
- Created a full macOS application to manage secure DNS services.
- Merged the existing iOS code into a single codebase for all Apple devices: iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and macOS computers.
- Created a full CI/CD pipeline to automatically build and test products before uploading them to Apple servers for review selection.
Chief Software Architect
- Created a complete video streaming service from scratch on a custom Linux server that reached 4k resolution at a time when the market alternatives were using 720p at most.
- Delivered a finished box with the product ecosystem, from build to testing.
- Helped the UI team build the visual application by providing an API to the system.
Product Chief C++ Software Architect
Online Freelance Network
- Served as the product chief architect responsible for 360,000 lines of code.
- Oversaw and approved changes to the product mainline.
- Created the test plans and automation to guarantee product quality.
- Owned and managed the product architecture and development.
- Traveled to customer sites to diagnose and find complex bugs in production datacenters.
- Built helper tools to find problems at the Linux driver level for big ISPs.
Senior Software Engineer
- Created a hardware-limit-pushing bonus game level that created a pioneering colorful cinematic experience thanks to leveraging the hardware chipset that was previously unused.
- Built a new low-level library to leverage the hardware acceleration with OpenGL and video decoding, which opened possibilities for FMV implementations. This required extensive reversing of the obscure chipset on the custom motherboards.
- Developed a brand new statistical model for bonus credit administration between a swarm of machines. This was a delicious math problem to solve that was exciting from start to finish, especially when sent to production to solve year-old problems.
- Helped other teams with occasional low-level inquiries at the hardware level.
- Trained the client-server team for full-stack MEAN development of an experimental new farm of HTTP-based servers. Trained the team for all the components so they could take it over from there.
Senior C++ Architect
- Served as security enhancement hardware-level code developer and reverse engineer as well as Windows Driver developer for security enhancement.
- Hardened Windows internals using Kernel Mode and User Mode cooperation.
- Extracted, modified, and reflashed BIOS firmware to install our protections against malware and viruses using the same techniques they use, but against them.
Senior Software Architect
- Worked on a special task force project to integrate the in-house flagship software framework to a 3D modeling environment to give BIM (building information modeling) capabilities to the product.
- Modeled the project after the requirements of the Brazilian Marines' first nuclear submarine project. The software controls all steps of the building process with real-time 3D visualization and editing of the manufacturing process.
- Developed the entire submarine solution, with the exception of a module, while having to reverse-engineer Java bytecode due to seriously flawed API documentation.
- Worked as part of the engineering applications team that wrote custom solutions used by the company projects all over the world.
- Wrote applications using Windows and C++ technologies for efficient and extremely performant data structures and algorithms that held huge amounts of data.
- Architected a new framework for engineering applications along with hacking into MFC message loops to create fully dynamic dialogs at runtime.
- Rewrote an in-house reporting engine, achieving triple the original speed and cutting through the scripting complexity for end-users.
- Owned and oversaw the coding for common framework components.
- Created an efficient C++ ORM solution for company-wide use.
Senior Software Engineer
- Developed low-level system code for protection against malicious code.
- Ported the main company product to 64-bit Windows.
- Used malware techniques against them to protect customer computers.
- Acted fast on client emergencies that couldn't wait for a fix.
Senior Software Engineer
Trends Engenharia e Infraestrutura Ltda.
- Developed an embedded operating system in C and Assembly.
- Created an extensible "infinite ROM space" technique that leverages the external Flash memory chip as extra ROM space by using IAP reprogramming during code execution.
- Implemented Starcos and MIFARE faring for bus passenger billing.
- Co-architected the financial market order management system server in C++.
- Co-architected the then-unique HTTP-based Ajax Push communication protocol.
- Helped optimize the server kernel vectorization for high user load.
- Contributed to the IBM USA Microelectronics monster labeling system team.
- Processed huge amounts of data traffic using SAP and MQSeries queues for big-volume clients.
- Designed and developed components and integration programs in C and C++ between SAP servers and custom industrial print queue programs.
- Contributed to the development of the IBM Application Services' IGSB (IBM Global Services Brazil) segment on the Medco PBM account.
- Developed software for US-based end-users as a member of the B2C team.
- Developed C++ high server load web components for the Broadvision container.
- Filtered candidates during interviews during the C++ team expansion phase from 4 to 100+ workers.
- Contributed to the C++ team for GPS-enabled on-site service devices. GPS on mobile devices was new at the time.
- Worked with the team for an "Uber for technicians" type software that was available in 2005.
- Helped cut through operation costs by calculating efficient traffic routes for service personnel.
Software Developer and Researcher
- Helped maintain the Insigne Linux distribution lifecycles, which had its fair share of novelties.
- Developed extensive Kernel-level hacking and drivers for all kinds of new hardware devices.
- Helped develop a six-headed system (one computer, six monitors, and keyboard/mice sets), which was a novelty at the time.
- Created the secure license management software and algorithm for licensing the Insigne Linux distribution and managing their support contracts.
- Created the build system for automatic source package to distribution media creation. Basically a CI/CD environment back in 2002.
Cryptox | OpenSSL C++ Wrapperhttps://github.com/madera/cryptox
Moneta | Serialization and ORM for C++03 and Uphttps://github.com/madera/Moneta
Boost, SwiftUI, Qt, Qt 5, GStreamer, OpenCL, .NET, Business Rules Engine, Realtime, NativeScript
OpenCV, Windows API, Linux API, OpenGL, Sockets, FFmpeg, Libav, Node.js, WebRTC, Xcode Server, React, Microsoft Foundation Class Library (MFC), REST APIs, Vulkan, OpenSSL
Git, Visual Studio, CMake, Makefile, GNOME, Subversion (SVN), Docker Hub, Jenkins, Jira, GitLab, Xcode, Intel DPDK, MQSeries, VPN, CVS, OpenSSH
Cross-platform, Requirements Analysis, Real-time Systems, Unit Testing, Desktop App Development, Data Science, API Architecture, Model View Viewmodel (MVVM), Management, Object-relational Mapping (ORM), CMMI
MacOS, Windows, Linux, Embedded Linux, iOS, Kernel, Blockchain, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), NVIDIA CUDA, Oracle, Kubernetes, Unix, Mobile, Windows CE, Android
JSON, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Berkeley DB, Dell Blades, MySQL, HP Servers, IBM Db2
Networking, Distributed Systems, Embedded Systems, TCP/IP, Non-blocking I/O, Cryptography, Computer Vision, Algorithms, Low Latency, Low-latency Software, Low-level Programming, C++20, Network Protocols, Boost.Asio, Video Codecs, Technical Leadership, 2D Games, IT Networking, Endpoint Security, Optimization, Code Architecture, Architecture, APIs, Library Architecture, Videos, Multithreading, GUI, Real-time Computing, Code Review, Source Code Review, Back-end, Real-time Operating System (RTOS), Embedded Software, Embedded Hardware, Real-time Embedded Systems, Embedded Development, Embedded Controllers, Digital Electronics, Image Processing, GPU Computing, Gentoo, Performance, Video Streaming, Video Surveillance, Software Architecture, Software System Architecture Development, Data Architecture, Solution Architecture, Windows Services, Video Processing, Firmware, 3D Graphics, Game Engine Programming, Encryption, Technical Product Management, Product Owner, Video Players, Video & Audio Processing, Deep Learning, P2P, Linux Kernel Drivers, Machine Learning, Fintech, 3D Games, Games, Financial Markets, Financial Data, Financial APIs, Financial Market Data, Casinos & Gaming, Netcode, WebSockets, Interviewing, CI/CD Pipelines, Audio Codecs, Machine Vision, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Windows Kernel Drivers, ARM, Audio Streaming, Device Drivers, OpenCL/GPU, Embedded Java, Mathematics, Education, Financial Data Analytics, Construction, Construction Engineering, GitHub Actions, UI Testing, ISP Servers, Dell PowerEdge Servers, Statistics, Probability Theory, Research, QR Codes, Reporting, Operating Systems, FIX Protocol, Algorithmic Trading, Stock Market, Stock Exchange, Stock Trading, Unix Shell Scripting, SAP, Servers, UDP, High-load, Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI), Virtualization, Mobile GPS, Mobile UI, Linux Kernel Programming, Linux Kernel Modules, Linux Kernel, Shell Scripting, Package Distribution, Mobile Security, Transport Layer Security (TLS), HTTPS, App UI, NVIDIA Jetson Nano, USB, Data Processing
Healthcare, Security, IT Security
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie - São Paulo, Brazil