Verified Expert in Engineering
Machine Learning Developer
Timo is a full-stack data scientist with eight years of professional experience in data-heavy applications and a PhD in machine learning and statistics. He can work in different roles on the data lifecycle in industrial applications as a data engineer, data scientist, ML engineer, or data analyst. Timo is experienced with Python and SQL, and many modern data frameworks.
Python, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Cloud, Containers, Relational Databases, SQL, Warehouses, Machine Learning Operations (MLOps)
The most amazing...
...project I have contributed to was to build up a commercial real estate analytics data platform for a small startup from scratch.
Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer
Legal Tech Scaleup
- Developed a data-driven lead-scoring algorithm for classifying the quality of incoming law cases.
- Conceptualized and developed extendable MLOps infrastructure that streamlines the development and maintenance of ML models using open-source software (OSS) and serverless infrastructure in GCP.
- Developed a data-driven model for scoring ongoing law cases with increasingly better data coverage.
- Informed stakeholders in biweekly meetings about the importance of setting up an MLOps infrastructure if ML is planned to be used more heavily in the company.
- Consulted on questions related to the client's general data infrastructure, such as improving data quality and data coverage.
Data Platform Engineer
Real Estate Analytics Platform
- Developed a cloud-based data platform on Google Cloud Platform (GCP) that fuels a commercial real estate analytics platform covering the Norwegian market.
- Researched data sources with the product team to conceptualize and develop new features for the analytics application.
- Implement data pipelines from extraction, including web scraping, API connections, and data dump imports to transform the web application's data using dbt.
- Set up and maintained a self-hosted Airflow infrastructure to schedule data pipelines and various workflows.
- Delivered customized data sets for clients using the analytics application and made the data accessible through Streamlit applications.
- Implemented and maintained an API using Python's FastAPI framework, enabling seamless data delivery to web application developers.
Data Scientist, Data Engineer
- Acted as a tech consultant on several projects related to data science, machine learning, and optimization.
- Developed the data science back end of the Norwegian COVID-19 tracking app Smittestopp for identifying contacts between potentially infected individuals based on Bluetooth and GPS data.
- Served as a data engineer and analyst for a biotech company involved in discovering new drugs for aggressive forms of bile duct cancer.
- Led a small team of developers to conceptualize and implement a large-scale solver for vehicle routing problems with several business constraints, which were defined by key company stakeholders.
Postdoc and PhD Student
Simula Research Laboratory
- Wrote 10+ articles contributing to the fundamental understanding of commonly used methods in data science, machine learning, and AI. They were all published in internationally renowned journals and conferences.
- Wrote articles about new metaheuristic optimization methods, such as consensus-based optimization.
- Established international collaborations with leading researchers at universities in San Diego, Munich, Oslo, Genoa, and London.
- Co-supervised the research interns and PhD students working on data science and machine learning projects.
- Organized symposia, workshops, summer schools, and conferences.
- Taught courses about machine learning methods at summer schools and workshops.
- Presented research to international technical and non-technical audiences.
- Conducted long-term research visits to data science and math departments at the Technical University of Munich, Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, and the University of California in San Diego.
Visiting Postdoctoral Scholar
University of California - San Diego
- Contributed to the fundamental understanding of generative models and deep neural networks in the Department of Mathematics at UCSD.
- Established connections between UCSD and Simula Research Laboratory in Oslo.
- Co-authored scientific papers and disseminated research results to a broader audience.
Intern and Student Trainee
OHB System AG
- Acted as a full-time intern for six months and spent the next six months as a part-time student trainee in the systems engineering department of a spacecraft manufacturer OHB System.
- Developed a mathematical model for microforce emissions from reaction wheels on in-orbit satellites.
- Performed data analysis, modeling, and visualization for a comprehensive study about forces emitted by reaction wheels of in-orbit satellites.
- Corroborated mathematical models using study data.
- Co-authored a scientific paper on managing the micro-vibration impact on satellite performances, describing the study findings and developed models.
Student Research Assistant
University of Bremen
- Developed mathematical simulations of physical processes such as heat diffusion and stress and strain simulations.
- Implemented a C++ toolbox for solving the level set equation (transport equation) with mass conservation and interface re-initialization.
- Integrated level-set methods into two-phase heat equation solver based on extended finite elements and the FEniCS software framework.
- Co-authored conference presentations and technical reports about level-set methods and solving multi-phase heat equations.
Data Analysis Back End for a National Corona Tracking Application
Data Analyst for Drug Discovery Analysis
Vehicle Routing Optimization for Logistics Scale-up
Scikit-learn, NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, TensorFlow, Matplotlib, Keras, PyTorch, Flask-RESTful, PyMongo, PySpark, Kepler.gl, XGBoost
Data Science, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Object-oriented Design (OOD), ETL, Test-driven Development (TDD), REST, Continuous Deployment, Continuous Integration (CI)
JSON, Azure Cosmos DB, NoSQL, MongoDB, Relational Databases, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Google Cloud
Applied Mathematics, Predictive Modeling, Machine Learning, Statistics, Dimensionality Reduction, Clustering, Regression, Classification, Data Inference, Statistical Learning, Optimization, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Data Analysis, Data Engineering, Dash, Metaheuristics, CVXOPT, Mathematical Modeling, Partial Differential Equations, Data Modeling, Deep Learning, Data Analytics, Cloud, Relational Database Services (RDS), OR-Tools, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision, OpenStreetMap, Operations Research, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Containers, Warehouses, Machine Learning Operations (MLOps), Data Build Tool (dbt), Airbyte, ELT, Streamlit, FastAPI, Poetry, Prefect, MLflow, HyperOpt
Python, XML, YAML, SQL, R, Kotlin, HTML, CSS, Snowflake
MATLAB, Scikit-image, Plotly, GitHub, Git, OptaPlanner, ParaView, Pytest, Jira, Gradle, Jekyll, Azure App Service, Spark SQL, Apache Airflow, BigQuery, Docker Compose, AutoML
Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Docker, Azure, Azure PaaS, Databricks
Flask, Bootstrap, Apache Spark, JUnit
PhD in Informatics and Applied Mathematics
University of Oslo - Oslo, Norway
Master's Degree in Computational Mathematics
University of Bremen - Bremen, Germany
DP-900: Microsoft Azure Data Fundamentals
Apache Spark (TM) SQL for Data Analysts
Deep Learning Specialization