CSS Developer in Toronto, ON, Canada
Founder | Design Lead | Technical Lead2009 - PRESENTTinacious Design
- Developed responsive web designs and mobile website including fully fluid and responsive websites for all screen and device sizes.
- Custom designed and developed the front-end of a content management system/framework-powered websites using open-source technologies including WordPress, ProcessWire, and Drupal.
- Developed and consumed REST APIs.
- Converted PSD to pixel-perfect HTML.
- Added accessibility for WCAG AA-AAA, and AODA.
- Solved problems and recommended the best tools to get the job done well and quickly.
Lead Instructor – Web Development2016 - 2017Red Academy
- Worked as the lead instructor of the part-time Web Developer Foundation course at Red Academy, a ten-week certificate program designed to give students foundational principles in web development.
- Developed a suite of tools to automate the assessment of student projects.
Software Developer2016 - 2016Snapchat
- Integrated Snapchat into Bitmoji and Bitmoji into Snapchat so that users can authenticate with Snapchat to use Bitmoji and use Bitmoji from within Snapchat.
- Developed the Snapchat API to ensure that the right Bitmojis are available from within Snapchat.
- Localized the Bitmoji search data to the many languages that Snapchat supports—enabling users to easily search for content from within the Bitmoji and Snapchat apps in their language.
- Staged a content rollout functionality in the Bitmoji API to gradually roll out new content to users to prevent server overload.
- Wrote detailed technical documents for the planning and implementation of unique and complex software problems, and the development of the implementation, while being sensitive to the strict legal and security requirements surrounding data.
- Independently designed and developed the front-end application for an internal tool using React and Redux.
- Unit-tested React-Redux applications including React components, Redux reducers, along with Mocha, ES6 modules, JSDom, Enzyme, DeepFreeze, and more.
Software Developer2014 - 2016Bitstrips
- Created native Android applications which included unit testing with JUnit, Robolectric, and Espresso.
- Worked with native iOS development working with Objective-C and Swift; including keyboard extension. Developed an Apple Watch app on a hack day. Performed unit testing with Kiwi.
- Overhauled/improved and led the development of CSS in our front-end applications.
- Overhauled the Bitstrips mobile app comic editor to switch from Flash to HTML5 Canvas to help alleviate tech debt.
- Worked with a variety of build tools and package managers. For the mobile web: NPM, Grunt, Gulp, Bower, Webpack, Browsersync, CSS pre-processors, Babel, Browserify, Gradle (Android), iOS (CocoaPods, Carthage) and so on.
- Worked on Hack Day projects which included coding in Meteor and Ruby/Sinatra; and also working with the Google Maps API and image processing.
CEO | Technical Lead2013 - 2014Team Atomic, Inc.
- Co-founded a company with my business partner at the time as the technical lead and CEO.
- Solved client problems as efficiently as possible.
- Developed the business; performed client acquisition and administration.
Front-end Developer2013 - 2014Tangerine Bank of Canada
- Implemented responsive web design using Bootstrap and custom CSS.
- Developed a custom plugin using jQuery and jQuery UI.
- Supported the front-end team with front-end frameworks, build tools, problem solving, troubleshooting, and version control with Git.
Front-end Developer2012 - 2013Sheridan College
- Managed the front-end development for the Sheridan College redesign 2013 project. This included the development of a custom CSS framework by extending a basic semantic grid system, adding an object-oriented approach to CSS for decoupling style declarations from semantic markup, a custom jQuery scripting, developing a custom Accessibility widget including High-Contrast and on-page text re-sizing controls. All this and also implementing the challenging design vision provided by a third-party agency for desktop and mobile.
- Developed a custom WordPress theme design including CMS development.
- Created and developed a custom HTML email newsletter generator that queries the right posts based on post authoring requirements. For use with email campaign software for the Sheridan Insider, a custom-developed WordPress solution.
- Developed a custom microsite front-end using cutting-edge practices with CSS pre-processing and jQuery including advanced and efficient implementation of responsive web design.
- Implemented corporate training for end-users on the SiteCore content management system including training workshops, technical support via email and phone, and technical support document authoring.
- Configured and authored the content of a Wiki setup in an effort to standardize web development practices at Sheridan. The wiki acts as a hub of information and a guide for best practices for Sheridan’s scalable web development.
- Created a template for the rapid development of pages to be implemented into an existing site theme.
Web Designer | Web Developer2011 - 2013Funding Matters
Technologies: HTML, CSS, jQuery, WordPress
- Developed the Funding Matters Inc.'s website and sister company websites.
- Designed, developed, and enhanced the websites for Funding Matters’ clients.
- Created the custom Content Management System design and development in WordPress and ProcessWire.
- Designed and developed accessible websites as per the web content accessibility guidelines (WCAG 2.0) for government-funded websites.
- Bitmoji (iOS, Android, Chrome, Back-end API) (Development)https://tinaciousdesign.com/portfolio/bitmoji/
One of the core team (under five-to-ten developers) who developed the Bitmoji mobile application for iOS, Android, Chrome, and Slack.
The back-end development was done with Node.js using Express.js and Hapi.js, OAuth, MySQL, PostgreSQL. The back-end API development was done in Java using the Google AppEngine.
Test-driven development included unit tests (Karma, Jasmine, Mocha, Sinon, Chai, XCTests for iOS, JUnit for Android), integration tests (Python, Node.js), UI tests (Selenium, XCUITests for iOS, Espresso for Android).
- Tangerine Bank of Canada Website (Development)http://tangerine.ca
I developed the front-end with a small team for the ING Direct to Tangerine rebranding and website redesign project.
The new Tangerine website was the first bank website in Canada to be fully responsive. I also added accessible support for Internet Explorer 7 and a wide variety of mobile devices including Windows, Android, BlackBerry, and Apple. In addition, I developed the Google Maps API.
- Tangerine Bank of Canada Forward Banking Blog (Development)https://www.tangerine.ca/forwardthinking
I single-handedly developed the front-end of the Forward Thinking blog and content marketing platform, an AngularJS application that uses WordPress as a service.
- Sheridan College Redesign (Development)https://tinaciousdesign.com/portfolio/sheridan-college-redesign/
- ISM at the University of Quebec in Montreal (Development)https://tinaciousdesign.com/portfolio/ism-uqam/
A fully responsive, bilingual (French, English) CMS-powered website in ProcessWire to help Institut des Sciences Mathématiques (Institute of Science and Math), a higher-education client in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, manage the content on their website. Including but not limited to programs, courses, and blog items. It involved complex relationships between content types and taxonomies. The website is very quick and easy for the client to maintain.
- Responsive Web Application for a Recruiting Company (Development)https://tinaciousdesign.com/portfolio/responsive-web-app/
I created the user interface design and the front-end development for an application that helps a staffing agency manage their candidates and clients. I also worked with the CakePHP MVC framework and handled the custom jQuery development.
The application features dynamic forms that animate form sections in, as needed. The forms were designed to be enjoyable and quick to fill out. Forms were designed with the power user in mind, allowing tech savvy staff to quickly fill out forms with keyboard-friendly input.
- Lesson Planning Application Prototype (Development)http://tinaciousdesign.com/portfolio/tinacious-teaching-lesson-planning-web-app/
I developed a productivity for myself to log in and manage lesson plans when I needed to teach workshops on how to use content management systems. The application features the creation of classes, lesson plans, and features like file upload, lessons of the day (loading on the front page), and mobile and printer-friendly templates.
- Freelancer Resume Website (Development)https://tinaciousdesign.com/portfolio/resume-website/
A resume website built in the ProcessWire content management system for protecting and managing a resume. It has a password-protected resume, is fully responsive, provides PDF generation, and allows the download of dynamic content.
- Social Network Activity Feed Design and Development (Development)https://tinaciousdesign.com/portfolio/social-media-website-design/
I designed and developed an activity feed for an attendance-based social media network. It's fully responsive.
- Animated Progress Bar Plugin (Development)http://tinacious.github.io/goalProgress/
An animated progress bar jQuery plugin with 80+ stars on GitHub. Available as a package on Bower.
- Website for a Local Cupcake Shop (Development)
I designed and developed a CMS-powered website for a local cupcake shop. The website allows the client to update the featured images and cupcake menu herself, as well as create and modify image galleries.
- Interactive Quiz Game (Development)
An interactive quiz based on a news article about social privilege. The user takes steps forward or backward, depending on the answers to the questions. The final results are tallied and compared to previous quiz takers.
- Freelancer CRM/Contacts App (Development)
A front-end web application built in Angular/Ionic. I performed unit testing, code coverage reporting, and continuous integration.
A web API built using Ruby on Rails to manage contacts and companies. Complements the Angular/Ionic front-end.
Both applications work together with Devise-token authorization for secure token-based login and transactions. The API includes Rake tasks to batch import contacts and companies from Insightly CSV exports. It also deploys to Heroku.
FrameworksJasmine, Mocha.js, Sinatra, AngularJS, Angular, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ember.js, Redux
Libraries/APIsjQuery UI, React, jQuery, Node.js, React Redux, D3.js
ToolsMocha, Karma, NPM, Stylus, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Redux Thunk
ParadigmsAgile Software Development, Functional Programming, Functional Reactive Programming
PlatformsWordPress, Android, Drupal, Drupal 7, iOS, Drupal 8
OtherChrome Extensions, Ember CLI, Enzyme
StorageMongoDB, PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Bachelor's degree in Education2009 - 2010University of British Columbia - Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Bachelor of Arts degree in French and Spanish2004 - 2008York University - Toronto, ON, Canada