Verified Expert in Design
Alex is a passionate digital product designer with over 13 years of UI/UX experience. He has worked in both boutique design studios and large IT enterprises, feeling most comfortable in a creative environment where visual design is second only to usability. With a pragmatic approach, a highly structured design process, and close team collaboration, Alex can evolve clients' initial requirements into a complete design solution, ensuring a smooth development delivery.
Web App for an Advertising Platform
Tablet App for an Audio Mixing Console
Medical Form Builder for Private Practices
Responsive Web Platform for a Performance Coaching Tool
- Created a tablet app that communicates with an audio mixing console to facilitate touch control of the functionality and provide a customizable dashboard of the most commonly used features.
- Designed and tested interaction patterns that create a seamless tactile interaction with close attention to fine controls, like faders and knobs, by taking advantage of device haptics for realistic control feedback.
- Provided information architecture and user flows to divide the app's structure.
- Iterated through wireframes and tested prototypes to ensure an intuitive and accessible layout.
- Conducted design interviews that evaluated the technical skills of designers applying to join the Toptal network.
- Collaborated with a team of design screeners on initiatives to improve Toptal's screening process.
- Onboarded and trained new team members in the screening methodology.
- Designed an advertising web platform that allows users to create and manage campaigns with detailed information on scheduling, custom location, budget, target audience, and artwork to be displayed and receive reports on campaign performance.
- Built an accompanying iOS mobile app that gamifies the bike rider experience with features such as performance trophies, achievements, and a leaderboard and offers information on payments and device setup.
- Created various illustrations for onboarding and set-up processes and animated them using Adobe After Effect and Lottie.
- Edited promotional videos and created various marketing assets.
- Created a detailed design system that includes everything from component states, typography, imagery, and iconography to a grid layout and system behavior.
- Provided design quality assurance and collaborated on LED device color calibration.
Brown Paper Tickets
- Designed a responsive website for a Seattle-based business that provides ticket management support for any organizer hosting any ticketed event.
- Developed user flows, information architecture, a visual style guide, and a complete UI/UX design.
- Devised a custom seat selection functionality for zone seating, multiple price points, donations, and discounts.
- Created custom illustrations and icons for the website on empty states, error pages, and photo manipulations for page headers and banners.
- Built a detailed component library that includes various UI elements to be used throughout the website.
- Built a responsive one-page website for an indie electro-pop music band, with an interactive music player at the heart of the experience.
- Designed the band logo in close collaboration with the band members to capture the spirit and attitude of their music.
- Created style guides and wireframes and tested prototypes to validate the interaction before fully designing the final solution.
- Designed a web platform that applies emotional resilience techniques in a coaching program allowing participants to easily complete surveys, learn and plan new techniques, and receive inputs from experts, all while having a strong sense of progress.
- Built the information architecture and user flows that defined the product's structure.
- Iterated designs through wireframes and validated layouts and interactions to ensure an intuitive experience.
- Created meaningful illustrations, communicating the focus of each program step.
- Developed a design system that enables the product's scalability.
- Built an online therapy and counseling mobile app that connects users with licensed therapists.
- Collaborated on competitor analysis to identify market opportunities and potential functionality gaps.
- Created user personas based on interviews and surveys of the two main user groups–patients and therapists.
- Designed the information architecture and user flows. Iterated prototypes of the main functionality, including scheduling, video chat, surveys, task assignment and review, and payments.
- Built the logo and app icon design and provided the base of the visual identity.
- Designed a component library and style guide to be handed off to the development team.
- Designed a landing page for a Pittsburgh-based web development company highlighting their strengths, experience, and services provided.
- Created custom vector illustrations to communicate the company's value proposition.
- Developed a responsive layout with a focus on clarity and minimal user distraction.
- Improved call-to-action focus and placement to increase conversions.
- Created user personas and journey maps based on research data provided by the client and discussions with an industry expert consulting on the project.
- Designed user flows that would enable straightforward and intuitive navigation of the app functionality.
- Prototyped clickable wireframes that illustrate the main functionality, helping the client present their business to potential investors.
UX/UI Designer | Illustrator | Animator
- Designed a mobile app that helps boy scout troops better organize their activities and keep track of everyone's progress.
- Created custom illustrations for 136 boy scout merit badges.
- Animated 136 boy scout merit badges to be used as a gamification element and increase task completion motivation.
- Designed user flows and information architecture to ensure an intuitive app structure.
Lead UI/UX Designer | 2D Animator
- Designed the UX and UI of a complete home automation app for native Android, including its presentation website.
- Built responsive UI and UX of several eCommerce websites.
- Developed the UX and UI of a responsive online marketplace for visual artists.
- Created and animated a series of typography-based illustrations.
- Redesigned the company website to focus on our value propositions following a new business plan.
- Managed and trained junior designers enrolled in our internship program.
- Designed an athlete IPO mobile app's UI for Android and iOS.
- Collaborated on several in-house print design projects.
- Provided design QA and worked closely with the development team to facilitate a smooth design implementation.
Junior UI Designer
- Designed a scheduling mobile app for a local public transportation network.
- Collaborated with a design team on the company's rebranding and proposed logo designs from which the final version was selected.
- Redesigned the company's website UI following technical and usability requirements.
- Produced a series of illustrations for an international marketplace for heavy machinery.
- Created various large- and small-scale print designs for indoor and outdoor use.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Babes-Bolyai University - Cluj-Napoca, Romania
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring