Brian Pagán, EngD, MSc
Verified Expert in Design
Brian is a US ex-pat working as a human experience designer focused on healthcare, sustainability, fintech, and IoT. For 20 years, Brian helped startups and businesses like Philips, ING, Land Life Company, and WaitWhat turn innovation strategies into award-winning products and services. His specialties include prototyping, behavioral design, and UX strategy. Brian has given talks and workshops in 12 countries. His first book, The Creative Empathy Field Guide, is available in ebook and paperback.
Masters of Scale Courses
Philips Personal Health Programs
Strategic UX Designer (Remote, Freelance)
- Co-created digital strategy and online touchpoints for tourism companies in Croatia and Slovenia.
- Facilitated a company strategy session with Infosit's executive team on location.
- Designed the MVP of Valamar's new booking interface for flight and hotel packages.
- Created the brand positioning and identity for Infosit's digital experience platform.
- Conducted a Creative Empathy workshop at Infosit's 2022 team-building retreat.
Founder | Innovation Coach | UX Consultant
The Greatness Studio
- Founded and engaged an invite-only community of more than 100 UX professionals.
- Assisted a range of clients, including Unilever, UCB, Vodafone-Ziggo, ING, Exact, and Land Life Company.
- Conducted over 50 workshops and talks. Coached 12 individuals and 21 startups.
- Developed seven new design tools for empathy-centered, ethical innovation.
- Performed design and field research for three renewable energy and waste management projects.
Innovation Mentor (Remote, Volunteer)
IFRC Solferino Academy
- Worked with talented youth innovators for the Solferino Academy's Limitless program.
- Mentored Dativa Nuwashaba's team from the Uganda Red Cross Society.
- Coached the team on a video prototype of their gender-based violence response service.
- Our team was one of ten final winners from 60 teams in total.
Project Coach (Semi-remote, Freelance)
Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences
- Coached 11 undergrad students at Communication and Multimedia Design.
- Helped each student navigate their human-centered design process.
- Facilitated group sessions with each cohort to grow a collaborative culture.
- Encouraged students to think beyond the screen via journey mapping and research.
- Gave micro-workshops to help students expand their creative boundaries and knowledge.
- Fostered a safe space for students to embrace discomfort and bring their whole selves to work.
Digital Product Designer (Freelance)
- Designed the touchscreen interface for entry and exit terminals at Avrio car parks in high fidelity.
- Simplified the first-use flow for onboarding in the MVP Avrio Parking mobile app.
- Created high-fidelity designs for administrators for Avrio's MVP control center web app.
- Conducted semi-structured interviews with the founders to gather requirements.
- Maintained a living app map, showing the control center's screens and app states.
Strategic UX Consultant (Remote, Freelance)
- Guided the UX strategy on Tipbox's MVP apps for film and TV production management.
- Mapped the main characters, their customer journey, requirements, and UX principles.
- Performed an initial UX review, resulting in 34 findings and recommendations for improvement.
- Set up an alpha test panel with 14 industry professionals for two rounds of UX research.
- Created a research-based system personality, including creative guidelines to bring it to life in the mobile and web apps.
UX Lead | Product Designer (via Toptal)
- Researched and designed the Masters of Scale Courses mobile app, from strategy to UI.
- Designed and researched the accompanying CMS web app from end to end.
- Created an engagement strategy with behavioral design and gamification.
- Crafted interactive mobile and web app prototypes from low-fidelity to high-fidelity stages of design.
- Co-created our feature roadmap and white-label platform strategy.
- Conducted rolling research with a test panel of 36 participants.
Strategic UX Designer (Freelance)
- Defined and designed the MVP (minimum viable product) for a holistic KYC customer viewer.
- Conducted the UX and usability research, including stakeholder interviews.
- Mapped requirements, character profiles, UX journeys, and flows.
- Prototyped the MVP web app and validated it with users and stakeholders.
- Provided UI design documentation and a product feature roadmap.
- Scripted and produced an animated video explaining ING's global KYC strategy.
UX Lead (Freelance, Remote)
Land Life Company
- Overhauled the UX and UI design for our customer portal and reforestation dashboard.
- Created a simple design system based on the brand's existing visual identity.
- Facilitated ideation and product strategy workshops with key stakeholders and web developers.
- Created interactive prototypes and employed them in usability testing.
- Designed and delivered new icon sets for different weather types and categories of trees.
- Managed the planning and delivery of the UX track of our redesign project.
Project UX Director (Freelance)
- Crafted and documented the UX strategy for Polestar.com.
- Defined the MVP roadmap with strategy, technology, and creative directors.
- Designed and prototyped meta-level navigation for the whole ecosystem.
- Facilitated co-creation workshops with client stakeholders.
- Coached four UX designers across multiple Scrum teams.
Strategic UX Designer (Freelance)
- Designed the MVP of Human Capital Planner, a new pension management service.
- Expanded NN's brand design system with new patterns and principles.
- Implemented Agile processes across six business, design, and development teams.
- Delivered interaction, visual designs, and prototypes for three B2B pension web apps.
- Coached informally design professionals to help elevate UX maturity within the organization.
UX Lead (Remote, Freelance)
- Designed the MVP of MaxData’s blockchain product around a chat UI.
- Created the end-to-end journey flows for our B2B and B2C value propositions.
- Designed the information architecture and human interactions for the web and mobile apps.
- Delivered two journey maps, 92 wireframes, three prototypes, and detailed specifications.
- Conducted research about blockchain, utility services, and telecoms to articulate our business objectives.
Creative Lead | Senior User Experience Designer
- Worked on more than 30 projects—winning four design awards.
- Launched 14 web and mobile products using agile and lean startup MVP methods.
- Pioneered privacy-by-design mobile app patterns, years before GDPR.
- Co-founded the Persuasive Design Lab as a competence center for digital health coaching.
- Co-authored mobile app design system guidelines as part of a global rebranding.
Mobile UX Lead | User Experience Consultant
- Provided strategic and tactical design on 65 digital projects for 22 clients.
- Developed six sales pitches, nine blog posts, four conference talks, and two workshops.
- Worked with an assortment of clients including Philips, Volvo, TribalDDB, KLM, KPN, Gucci, Beeline, and Elsevier.
- Designed a mobile app for GeoIQ to assist first-responder rescue units in disaster scenarios.
- Created a new omnichannel digital experience strategy for a large consumer electronics company.
User Experience Designer (Remote)
- Designed the MVP of Bsmrt, a mobile learning service for young people in South Africa.
- Authored and hand-coded five education and entertainment modules.
- Conducted UX research on Bsmrt from the study design to analysis and reporting.
- Facilitated strategy workshops with key stakeholders.
- Defined and documented UX design, research, and quality assurance processes.
Web and Visual Designer
- Designed and coded ten standards-compliant websites for three clients.
- Increased monthly web visitors for one client by 3,900% in five months.
- Created a new main brand and eight new sub-brands for a food and beverage services company in Germany.
- Planned and executed over 30 print, outdoor, and online marketing campaigns.
- Crafted the interior design for two cocktail lounges, each with a different theme.
Engineering Doctorate (EngD) in User-system Interaction
Eindhoven University of Technology - Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Master of Science Degree in Work and Organizational (Industrial) Psychology
Maastricht University - Maastricht, The Netherlands
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Social Sciences focused on Psychology
University College Maastricht - Maastricht, The Netherlands
Certified Professional for Usability and User Experience — Foundation Level (CPUX-F)
Certified in Distributed Management
SAFe Agilist (SA)
Scaled Agile, Inc.
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring