Finance and Strategy Consultant
2016 - PRESENT
- Created a three-year financial forecast and model for a SaaS startup acquired by a blue-chip corporation; also produced the output for CEO's board presentation.
- Developed the business plan, financial strategy, and raised funding for a startup in a community energy space.
- Estimated the market size, assessed the business plan viability, reviewed the business model, and analyzed the path to profitability for a food startup.
- Produced a fundraising pitch deck for an internet security startup.
- Developed a business plan and social impact criteria for a startup in a sustainable living space.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Corporate Finance, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Business Planning, Business Plan Development
2011 - 2015
- Joined a portfolio company as the CFO and made the acquisition of a Dutch lighting company—raising €10 million and leading the M&A and due diligence process. Completed three funding rounds for €15 million total.
- Led deep restructuring efforts to increase gross margin percentage from 23% to over 40%. This included stronger financial controls, a pricing strategy, a revamped product platform, a better supply chain and production, and new, higher margin products.
- Led the annual strategy reviews—leading the move into new markets and new product strategy.
- Spoke at international conferences; maintained relations with industry players and venture capital funders across the EU, US and Asia; explored partnerships and acquisitions, winning some business along the way.
- Developed a rolling 18-month forecast model; trained the finance and sales team to maintain the model and processes; also, built short-term cash flow projections, and detailed output template for monthly board reports. Led the efforts to improve forecasting detail and accuracy.
- Oversaw the financial accounting and controlling team; overhauled ERP and accounting system.
Focus areas: Financial Strategy, Venture Funding, Fundraising, Late-stage Funding, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Budget Controls, P&L Forecasting, Cash Flow Forecasting
Climate Change Capital Private Equity
2008 - 2011
- Worked on all aspects of the investment process at this $300 million clean technology fund, investing in early-to-late-stage cleantech businesses in Europe and North America.
- Evaluated 300 businesses and business plans in clean power, waste and water treatment, clean transport, and bioplastics per year.
- Won the investment approval, negotiated the term sheets and legal as well as completed investments in LED lighting, anaerobic digestion, water treatment, solar energy, and smart grid businesses.
- Built financial models, performed due diligence, assessed market size, and wrote investment memos to support investments in solar energy, plastics recycling, anaerobic digestion, gasification, waste management, water treatment, and LED lighting.
- Researched and presented market reports on solar energy and LED lighting markets.
- Supported a portfolio company's project finance rollout. Participated in board meetings for portfolio companies.
Focus areas: Venture Funding, Late-stage Funding, Early Stage Funding, Financial Modeling, Due Dilligence, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Market Research, Financial Strategy
Climate Change Capital Advisory
2006 - 2007
- Advised blue-chip energy companies for Climate Change Capital, the leading merchant bank for the carbon sector.
- Advised an oil-&-gas major on the spin-out of four solar energy businesses in India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
- Coached local management teams to develop business plans for each entity; built financial models and investor slide decks. Organized investor road trips; controlled and coordinated all communications.
- Marketed the businesses to over 40 international investors, running the sale process through three stages; advised the client on best process management.
- Successfully negotiated and completed the spin-outs, with assurances for the client protecting personnel/reputation.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), M&A Modeling, Financial Modeling, Financial Advisory
Financial Times/Bloomberg News
2001 - 2005
- Wrote news and feature pieces, primarily for the Financial Times, as a freelance journalist from Mexico City; covered topics such as microcredit, corruption, legal obstacles to investment, and the nascent domestic bond market. Conducted investigative journalism into corporate governance abuses, resulting in international breaking news.
- Covered UK politics for Bloomberg News London, reporting on the Blair government as well as writing in-depth features and news stories on climate change, energy, pensions, and other British government policies.
Focus areas: Market Research, Journalism, Business Writing
Associate, Investment Banking
1997 - 2001
- Analyzed and structured financing packages for high-risk corporate acquisitions and leveraged buyouts with values in the billions of dollars.
- Progressed from financial modeling and due diligence to supervising analysts, drafting terms, developing structures, liaising with client CFOs and presenting to credit committee.
- Completed a $2 billion acquisition loan for biotech acquisition by pharmaceutical client Roche; executed and originated a $300 million Eurobond issue for Nestle.
- Built financial models, including complex debt structures, to support transactions during French smart card acquisition and oil & gas services merger. Led due diligence efforts and wrote investment memos for credit committee. Helped introduce new structures to optimize credit risk.
- Built LBO models and executed due diligence for LBOs in the plant hire industry and capital leasing businesses.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Credit, Lending, Corporate Finance, Bank Debt Raises, Leveraged Buyout Model, M&A Modeling, Three Statement Operating Model, Banking Provision Models, Financial Modeling, Due Dilligence