2012 - PRESENT
- Found acquisition targets for a third fund, created valuation models for targets of interest, helped in the acquisition process and negotiations, and managed portfolio properties. The client was a North American real estate PE group ($2 billion in AUM).
- Performed a market assessment and price benchmarking exercise on the indoor, outdoor and portable fireplace industries in North America for Colorado-based private equity. The client invested in other competitors found during the assessment and as part of recommendations.
- Prioritized a new market entry strategy in Europe (Germany, Spain, Portugal, Holland, Belgium, and so on) based on a market sizing exercise and through conducting expert interviews in each of the countries and regions of interest. The client was a global SaaS provider. Based on the recommendations, the client decided to go to the market in Germany first and Spain second.
- Created LBO financial models and valuations for each portfolio property and created a financial model to manage the consolidated fund including waterfalls for different LP and co-investors. The client was a North American PE group focused on parking facilities ($500 million in AUM).
- Conducted an in-depth commercial and financial due diligence on a high-tech vacation home rental market place for a Chicago-based venture capital fund. Our analysis determined that the business's underlying investment assumptions were too aggressive and that the company managed key accounts poorly. The client decided not to invest based on the recommendations.
- Designed and implemented an account segmentation tool and implement it across the country for a global consumer packaged goods company. The client had 300,000+ individual accounts and had no visibility at the C-suite level. In line with the scope of work, data-mined account information from several sources collecting over 1 billion data points for the accounts that allowed the company to segment each of its accounts by size, target market, consumer type, profitability, and so on.
- Implemented a market analysis of the total addressable market for a health tech company. The goal was to understand competing technologies in a brand new space, generating recommendations on pricing for a new technology and understanding alternative use cases for the technology. This is an ongoing project. The client is a Canadian neurotech company.
- Led a Series A capital raise for a London-based online travel agency and was responsible for generating a company valuation, defining the company's growth strategy, and finding strategic investors.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Market Research, Due Diligence, Performance Reports, Finance Operation Improvements, Finance Process Improvement, Finance Strategy, Corporate Finance, Strategic Investments, Venture Capital, Private Equity, Private Equity Valuation, Leveraged Buyouts, Leveraged Buyout Model, Strategy, Business Strategy, Market Sizing, Market Assessment, Valuation Multiples, Valuation Modeling, Valuation, Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG), Online Travel Agencies, OTA, Saas Pricing, Pricing Models
Senior Investment Banking Analyst
2009 - 2010
Bulltick Capital Markets
- Restructured a $7-billion debt resulting in $100 million yearly savings for the state of Mexico.
- Designed a $35-million JV between a major private college and Mexico's largest fitness company.
- Structured and placed a $25-million mezzanine loan for an Italian hospitality firm.
- Led the valuation and due diligence for the largest direct response TV company in Mexico leading to the sale of the company for $90 million to a global PE group.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Benchmarking, Capital Raising, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Cost Reduction & Optimization, Due Dilligence, Revenue & Expense Projections, Financial Modeling, Financial Reporting, Three Statement Operating Model, Valuation, Investment Banking
Senior Associate Consultant
2006 - 2009
Bain & Company
- Worked at Bain's private equity practice which helped global private equity firms with commercial and financial due diligence projects, market assessments, product and price benchmarks in several sectors including CPGs, appliances & electronics, chemicals, industrial machinery, and so on.
- Spun-off successfully the financial services division of a Spanish energy company for US$150 million. Was responsible for conducting product and price benchmarks, generating a valuation of the company, and helping on the roadshow until it was sold to GE Capital.
- Led a global benchmark by region of the services offered to small-and-medium enterprises for a US global bank. Designed and redefined the firm’s global strategy for the sector.
- Identified and implemented levers in the credit card division (activation, utilization, and retention—AUR model) that exceeded US$90 million in additional earnings for a global Spanish bank.
- Developed a price-demand elasticity model for the largest beer bottler in Panama. Proved that the demand was inelastic. Presented the results to the CEO and avoided a price reduction that saved tens of millions to the company every year.
- Quantified and realized US$100 million in synergies/savings between the largest soft drink company in Mexico and a juice company during a post-merger integration project that occurred immediately after the company's acquisition.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Data Analysis, Pricing Analysis, Portfolio Analysis, Valuation, Business Intelligence, Cost Benchmarking, Financial Benchmarking, Comparable Company Analysis, Capital Structure Analysis, Cost Reduction & Optimization, Due Dilligence, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Revenue & Expense Projections, Financial Modeling, Fundraising, Market Research, Three Statement Operating Model, Profitability Analysis
2005 - 2006
Procter & Gamble
- Served as the Tampax brand manager for Mexico and was selected as the only co-op responsible for leading a brand (instead of acting as an assistant brand manager).
- Launched the Tamapx Compak line and increased revenues by +30% (YOY) for the brand.
- Designed and launched all marketing activities for Tampax including new product launches, brand activations, and was in charge of implementing strategies to capture additional share of market.
Focus areas: Profitability Analysis, Business Plan Development, Business Intelligence, Customer Lifetime Value, Cost Reduction & Optimization