Verified Expert in Finance
Ben is a thoughtful and creative investor with a background in public equity, distressed credit, and PE. He has applied his experience to large ($15B) public and mid-market companies in dozens of industries, including aerospace, wireless networking, SaaS, and retail. Ben is currently building a private credit investment vehicle and is available for short-term projects to help clients improve business strategy, evaluate and execute financing/fundraising, and develop financial forecasts/models.
Short Recommendation of a $1 Billion Pharma Company
Analysis of BrewDog USA's Crowdfunding Scheme
Senior Investment Professional (Equity Analysis, Equity Sales)
Forbes Media - Q.ai - Main
- Designed and marketed over 20 AI-powered investment models, most of which outperformed through H1 2022.
- Used fundamental and statistical analysis to improve existing and new investment strategies.
- Launched an AI-powered oil and gas strategy in December 2021; up more than 90% since inception and above 2500 bps over the benchmark.
- Refined existing predictive hedging overlay and developed the structure for integration with third-party brokerages.
Lakeside Capital Group
- Negotiated the sale of a $10 million interest in a PE fund in a secondary transaction. The sale of the LP interest resulted in a small gain versus a likely substantial loss. Evaluated potential risk/reward with an independent waterfall analysis.
- Led an M&A process for an oil and gas services portfolio company. Performed M&A modeling, due diligence, and valuation for the strategic acquisition ($10 million) that added new service verticals.
- Built and maintained a multi-year, three-statement financial model to forecast performance and create quarterly and annual budgets for an aerospace manufacturing portfolio company with over $60 million in revenues.
- Developed a multi-year financial model to support negotiations with bank contacts for an expanded $30 million loan for increased agricultural development and residential home construction.
- Structured new common and preferred equity investments in an aerospace manufacturing portfolio company. Used the new securities to raise more than $10 million while complying with debt covenants and limiting dilution to current shareholders.
- Evaluated regional startups for potential direct angel investments. Led due diligence and conversations with founders. Recommended changes to startups' pitch decks to ensure better fundraising success.
- Led the financial modeling and forecasting for two M&A sales processes to explore the sale of two operating companies to strategic and financial acquirers. Led communications with investment banks and built the M&A models for both.
- Managed a public equity portfolio with a total value of $150+ million. Positioned the portfolio for long-term growth with a concentrated group of high-quality companies. Led investment research and executed tax-efficient sales when appropriate.
Malkin Capital (MBA Internship)
- Evaluated the potential upside and downside risk of short selling a dubious drug manufacturer. Recommended a short position that would have returned 63.3% since the proposed investment (24.4% IRR).
- Supplemented investment research by contacting more than ten specialist doctors who treat patients and prescribe competing drugs for relevant conditions.
- Used current prescription data to estimate the market size for the target's key drug; determined that management likely overstated the total addressable market (TAM) potential by 4:1.
Owl Creek Asset Management (MBA Internship)
- Led a research project to assess changes in the payments industry and the impact on select companies. Used industry research and company analysis to present a short idea to the investment team.
- Assessed the risks of additional regulatory changes to the North American payday lending industry. Evaluated a distressed company in the industry to identify a potential investment in the complex capital structure.
- Sourced and maintained research contacts to support investment research on a niche medical device category.
Stadium Capital Management
- Identified an undervalued wireless hardware manufacturer with a strong competitive position, cultivated 75+ industry contacts to develop industry knowledge, and recommended an investment that generated a 100%+ return in under a year.
- Conducted detailed primary research of the ISP industry. Attended multiple industry conferences and shadowed a wireless ISP's CFO and CTO over multiple days. Built an ISP financial model to better understand expected returns and key metrics.
- Led the primary research of an apparel retailer. Built a relevant financial model and visited 100+ store locations. Presented research to the retailer's CEO and CFO, identifying areas for improvement and store manager feedback on new store layouts.
- Led research for a potential investment in a publicly traded European football club. Prepared a detailed analysis of the ties between on-field sports success and financial performance for a management meeting with the CFO.
- Created a research presentation to inform the investment committee on additive manufacturing and relevant investment opportunities.
MBA in Business Administration
Columbia Business School - New York, NY, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Commerce
University of Virginia - Charlottesville, VA