Daniel Martin Prieto
Verified Expert in Finance
During his 15-year career, Daniel has advised some of LatAm's most interesting startups and many others in the USA. He has worked as an investor and board member at Axon Capital, a leading regional venture capital fund. He founded Equity Advisors, a boutique investment bank that advises startups and middle-market businesses. Daniel also serves as a financial consultant through Toptal as it provides him the opportunity to assist American businesses with complex financial issues.
eCommerce Advanced Financial Model
- Advised companies mainly in America interested in being prepared for a great financial round or M&A process. Helped many to design their financial model, pitch deck, and financial structure, among others.
- Created complex financial models that have helped CEOs and CFOs have a clear vision of their finances: enabled them with the budgeting, cash flow projections, and costing.
- Developed fundraising materials for rounds averaging $500K - $5M looking to have a seed or Series A round.
Founder | CEO
- Founded Equity Advisors, a boutique investment bank focused on serving SMBs and startups, providing investment banking and outsourced CFO services such as financial modeling, valuation analysis, business plan development, and fundraising preparation.
- Advised over 300 SMBs and startups with sales ranging from $500,000 to $10 million as either their investment bankers or part-time CFOs. Customers are in a variety of industries but are primarily from the technology sector.
- Created a fundraising boot camp and worked with over 200 startups to develop their financial models, formulate their valuation, create pitch decks, and determine investor profiles. This led to over 30 successful seed and series A rounds.
- Served as a part-time CFO to over 200 customers. Assisted in improving their cash position, managing their working capital and cash conversion cycle, budgeting and planning, and negotiating with boards, investors and lenders.
- Served as a finance expert and board member of several startups in the tech industry.
Pitch Deck Expert
Fab Finishes Inc.
- Created a three-statement operating financial model to reflect a potential acquisition of another eCommerce site.
- Included key assumptions needed to understand the cash flow needs.
- Added and predicted potential synergies and their financial impact.
Financial Modeling Expert
DSTLRY Media, Inc.
- Created a complex three-statement financial model with different scenarios to understand the cash needs of the company properly.
- Architected a sensibility analysis and break-even point under different circumstances.
- Created a tailor-made Gantt chart to reflect the proper timeline.
Seed Fundraising Expert for SaaS
- Created a financial model to control the CEO review's accounting movements.
- Created a financial fundraising model for the series A round in which critical assumptions were defined together with the cash flow needs.
- Valued the company based on different startup valuation methodologies.
Financial Modeling Expert
EDM Americas Inc.
- Oversaw the implementation of a model I designed throughout the entire organization, allowing an in-depth review of the budget.
- Helped create a forecast enabling a potential buyer to complete due diligence faster and make a decision on a possible acquisition.
- Collaborated and trained the finance team on financial modeling and budget control.
Financial Modeling Expert
EDM Americas Inc.
- Created a financial model for the next four years, including the budget and financial dashboard.
- Advised in a potential M&A transaction to a $25 million US SMB focused on the US market.
- Helped the financial team update the accounting information properly in the new reports so that it was automatic for them on a monthly basis.
Fund Manager | Office Representative
Axon Partners Group
- Identified and analyzed over 2,000 investment opportunities in tech startups. Responsible for managing over 150 leads, which included business plan validation, valuation, negotiation, and financial due diligence. Participated in several investments.
- Joined and represented Axon on the board of directors of six companies in the technology sector, providing support to the entrepreneurs in business plan execution and their inorganic initiatives. Analyzed over 300 M&A opportunities for the companies.
- Managed and represented the local office through the Axon Colombia SAS vehicle, establishing and maintaining relationships with 15 investors and three local regulators.
- Managed the local team of two associates and supported dozens of consulting or investment banking deals.
- Served as a speaker or panelist at multiple events including Endeavor, the Red de Angeles de Bavaria, and Procolombia.
Assistant Vice President
- Managed the corporate trade loans and structured finance products providing risk management, process, and financing support to the sales and relationship management teams. Was responsible for $900 million in assets representing $9.4 million in fees.
- Maximized the value of the product suite, training the sales force to deepen relationships with over 50 customers.
- Increased the fee-earning asset base by 17%, growing from $767 million to $894 million.
- Sold innovative products including loans with digital foreign currency options and cash management features to over 30 corporate customers.
Junior Product Manager
- Managed a portfolio of institutional client products including standby letter of credit ("SBLCs"), collections, letters of credit, international accounts, and international payments, achieving budgeted goals. Responsible for $5 million in fees.
- Led the oil and gas sales team responsible for marketing SBLCs, resulting in $2+ million in divisional revenue.
- Conceived and implemented a new process for placing collateral loans to startup companies, deploying $17 million and generating $150,000 in revenue.
Time Deposits and Supply Chain Transactor
- Managed and controlled a $1.3 billion investment portfolio during the 2008-2009 financial crisis, complying with stringent senior management liquidity requirements.
- Administered the Colombian supply chain finance programs, originating and closing deals with critical customers.
- Closed relevant new deals and trained the sales team several times.
- Controlled the annual budget, monitoring expenses, compensation, and headcount for Citibank Colombia.
- Created an analysis of historical trends, analyzing and optimizing headcount, which was approved by senior management and the president of retail banking.
- Managed to serve all the needs from the CHRO as requested throughout time.
Master's Degree in Advanced Finance
IE Business School - Madrid, Spain
Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Engineering
Universidad de los Andes - Bogota, Colombia
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring