Ernesto Grijalva Ortega, CFA
Verified Expert in Finance
Management Consulting Expert
Ernesto is a former core member of the private equity practice at The Boston Consulting Group in New York, where he specialized in due diligence, strategy, pricing, and transformation projects. Prior to BCG, he was an investment advisor, helping to raise and manage $500 million of assets at JP Morgan. Ernesto enjoys freelancing projects where he can leverage his previous experiences working with entrepreneurs, investors, and lenders.
Macroeconomic Research & Newsletter
- Provided guidance to entrepreneurs on strategic decisions as an active member of the advisory board.
- Assisted in the creation of marketing materials and business plan for the successful fundraising of USD 1.5 million in seed round and two additional rounds.
- Provided strategic guidance in key negotiations with suppliers and alliances.
- Supported the management team in the creation of the 5-year business plan and marketing materials, which were used in the third fundraising effort looking to raise USD 2.5 million of growth equity.
The Boston Consulting Group
- Conducted 10+ pre-diligence/commercial due diligence projects in various industries - Consumer, Retail, Real Estate, Financial Services, and Healthcare - as part of the Private Equity team. Efforts included market growth and trends, competitive positioning, historical performance of targets, business plan development and assessment, identification of key risks and proposed mitigations, target identification, and synergy analysis.
- Developed a strategic and investment roadmap for an international real estate developer which included: (a) selection of Real Estate sub-asset classes and geographies of focus; (b) financial model to assist in land acquisition decision-making; and (c) budgeting model to understand capital needs and to optimize capital structure of selected projects.
- Developed a full pricing strategy for a leading Latin American consumer packaged goods company. Project also included the creation of pricing tools for daily use (e.g., price pianos). The proposed initiatives generated a +10% impact on the bottom line.
- Created a 2020 portfolio strategy for private equity investments in the real economy. Output was a set of investment guidelines for the Chief Investment Officer (CIO) to deploy USD 1 billion for a family conglomerate.
- Defined attractiveness (with quantitative and qualitative model), size, and market entry strategy into key emerging markets for a major telecommunications company.
- Managed PMO (project management office) during a major transformation at a leading global hedge fund; resulted in the successful outsourcing of its back-office.
- Led new joiner training, including 5-day boot camp on key consulting skills (e.g., financial modeling, back-of-the-envelope analysis, slide writing, storytelling) for the entering, post-MBA class of 2016.
- Coordinated and defined the transformation initiatives at a top-5 retail bank in Colombia.
Global Investment Specialist
- Advised and managed over $500 million in total assets of Latin American client portfolios. Assisted clients across Wealth Management products and services: Investments, Credit, Fiduciary, Financial Planning and Portfolio Construction with responsibility on investment recommendations.
- Guided clients in defining their long-term goals, risk profile and constraints, and actively managed the resulting most suitable portfolio.
- Advised clients on investment opportunities across asset classes (fixed income, equities, alternatives, foreign exchange) using a variety of investment vehicles (single lines, exchange traded funds, mutual funds, structured products, derivatives, hedge funds, Private Equity and Real Estate).
- Recommended on portfolio allocation and construction, responsible for trading, investment/portfolio reviews, client development and recommendations including research and investment rationale for each recommendation (equity, credit, FX, hedging).
- Assisted the alternative investments group in the fundraising of selected private equity and hedge funds by organizing roadshow, meetings and preparation of marketing materials for key clients.
- Engaged in Ultra High Net Worth (UHNW) client acquisition efforts, including cold calls, research, referrals, constant communication with prospectors and Investment Bank colleagues, periodic visits to the region.
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) in Finance
CFA Institute - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
Universidad de San Andres - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Exchange Student in Finance
University of Bath - Bath, UK
Exchange Student in Business Administration
University of British Columbia - Vancouver, BC, Canada
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring