Verified Expert in Finance
Jay is a 25-year private investment professional experienced in capital raising, deal sourcing, underwriting, capital markets, portfolio management, and restructuring. As the regional head of middle-market finance at Merrill Lynch and president of Centre Lane Investment Corp., he has invested $864 million in middle-market companies. Jay consults on corporate finance advisory issues while leading an angel-funded medical device business as a co-founder and CEO.
Middle Market Loan Investment Presentation
Co-founder | CEO
- Devised and patented a unique, low-cost system to reduce the risk of opioid addiction.
- Led the company's fundraising efforts, including developing financial projections, executive summary, presentation deck, and legal documentation, and spearheaded investor sourcing. Also, awarded a $260K SBIR grant from the CDC.
- Raised convertible notes offering and series seed preferred stock round. Attracted a leading angel investor group to anchor the preferred stock raise.
- Built partnerships with a software development firm, a large regional pharmacy chain, a drug disposal company, and multiple hospitals and medical schools.
- Managed all financial functions, including financial and tax reporting. Applied for and received research and development tax credits and NY state engineering grant, specifically a 75% reimbursement.
Curator Capital, LLC
- Worked with an early-stage healthtech company as its de facto CFO. Built the company's financial model, helped with its pitch deck, advised on its capital structure and cap table, attended investor meetings, assisted in term sheet negotiations, etc.
- Advised a technology-driven private debt startup on the build-out of its origination, underwriting, portfolio policies, procedures, and infrastructure, and worked full time over two years as the head of the investment team.
- Assisted a private equity firm in raising a $9 million second-lien term loan to help finance a $36 million acquisition, pitched the deal to dozens of alternative lenders, and generated multiple term sheets.
- Advised on acquiring a public BDC, managing more than three billion dollars of private corporate debt by nine billion dollar REIT, analyzed and valued each portfolio investment, and interviewed all investment staff.
- Analyzed and valued each portfolio investment and negotiated the purchase price to acquire a $300 million private corporate debt portfolio by a $5 billion investment manager.
- Supported an entrepreneur-owned company in refinancing a defaulted $22 million credit facility, authored the offering memorandum, contacted more than 100 lenders, and received multiple term sheets.
- Helped a search fund source term sheets for a $14 million debt facility supporting a $31 million acquisition.
Centre Lane Investment Corp.
- Managed fundraising, originations, portfolio management, and operations of a middle-market private credit fund for a private equity firm.
- Invested more than $200 million, returning a 28% IRR to investors in the first two years (information publicly available via SEC) and double-digit returns over the fund's life (latter information is under NDA).
- Managed the effort to take funds public on NASDAQ as a business development company (BDC), including the completion of all filings and a national fundraising roadshow.
- Led the SBIC licensing process, including the completion of all required documentation and track record materials. Met with the SBA investment committee in Washington, DC, with one of three investment committee members approving all transactions.
Regional Head — Middle Market Finance
- Led a team closing 26 lead-agented middle-market leveraged loan transactions totaling $588 million with no losses.
- Sourced transactions through an internal private wealth advisor network and private equity firms in the Eastern region, Merrill Lynch's largest market.
- Led internal projects, including the transition of the business to a new division, the development of profitability models, as well as the establishment of new approval guidelines.
- Participated as an investment committee member and held individual credit authority up to $15 million.
- Spoke regularly at conferences to audiences to promote the overall business.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance
New York University - New York, NY, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Economics
Cornell University - Ithaca, NY, USA
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Series 7 and 63
Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring