Verified Expert in Finance
Jeff has built, led, and advised dozens of companies over 25 years, with a focus on financial services, retail, technology, and digital experience. He co-founded and scaled a digital transformation advisory company that was sold to a major consulting firm. A former CFO and Managing Director with global experience, he joined Toptal to help clients find new avenues of profitable growth while building scalable organizations.
Global Managing Director
- Grew revenue by 30% annually for a nearshore digital production firm with 120 FTE personnel. Repositioned firm’s offerings and pricing strategy to “managed resourcing” approach, increasing average contract term commitment by 40%.
- Repositioned firm’s offerings and pricing strategy to better align with the market opportunity (high-end near-shore staff) and shift away from project-based, one-off efforts. Coordinated a rebuild of the company’s go-to-market model to align operations and staffing with new operations and financial model.
- Led business and product strategy for the launch of a “robo-advisor” offering targeted to millennials for a major financial investment firm. This effort included UX, design, and development for mobile, web, media assets, and CRM.
- Restructured finance and accounting processes, team, and systems. Implemented controls and procedures to manage expense growth and profitability monitoring in real time. Standardized valuation approach for internal and external stakeholders.
Managing Partner, Founder
- Built a high-performing team across four offices in the US, scaled through great work, and sold the firm to a major international consulting firm for 9x EBITDA.
- Advised consulting and technology buyers on marketing firm acquisitions (digital, PR, data) worth over $400 million.
- Developed business model and digital marketing strategy for GE Capital Bank that helped drive deposit growth to over $32 billion.
- Created and implemented a content marketing strategy for Bank of America Merchant Services, driving down customer acquisition costs by 30% versus traditional search engine marketing (SEM) and repositioning the firm as an industry thought leader.
Chief Financial Officer
- Managed the doubling of revenue and headcount while increasing profitability and tripling company valuation.
- Oversaw implementation of a new corporate technology stack, including integration of data insights, media planning, project management, and financial reporting tools.
- Delivered financial training for all staff on the firm's business model and their contribution. Advised clients on risk and growth potential for multi-million dollar investments.
- Led operating logistics in the founding of the Society of Digital Agencies (SoDA), an international industry trade and peer group of over 100 firms.
- Prioritized investment in new channels and technologies tied to increasing market demand, especially in mobile platforms and social media.
VP Finance & Operations
- Managed the integration of agencies in a roll-up of marketing services organizations. Responsibilities included equity valuations, client conflict resolution, and financial and operating process harmonization.
- Oversaw North American client finance teams across five offices with total sales of $120 million. Led all contract negotiations, pricing, and sourcing decisions. Managed adherence to revenue growth and profitability targets globally and member of the executive planning committee on investment and scaling.
- Served as Finance & Operations lead for the largest business unit (Digital) with billings of $40 million. Managed scaling and sourcing, scope risk assessment, and profitability.
- Partnered with account directors on strategy and planning. Led procurement relationships for Philip Morris, Diageo, and Purina globally.
Director of Corporate Development, Director of Project Finance
- Modeled, structured, and negotiated project finance deals totaling over $1 billion with a primary focus on the engineering and construction for Telecom Infrastructure and Chemical Production.
- Served as a member of incubation and launch team for a web-based trading platform focused on the global used heavy equipment market. This project was Fluor’s first internally incubated digital business with $50 million in internal committed funding.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in International Management
Arizona State University - Thunderbird - Phoenix, AZ
Bachelor's Degree in Finance
Miami University - Oxford, Ohio