Verified Expert in Finance
Management Consulting Expert
Marvin is an accomplished life science, finance, and consulting executive with 20+ years of experience who has successfully participated in transactions totaling $15+ billion. He has extensive strategy consulting and program management experience in helping companies execute against key initiatives. Marvin enjoys advising clients from startup through Fortune 500 and helping them to achieve superior results and sustainable value creation.
Paradigm Healthcare Consulting
- Led integration planning and corporate strategy efforts for the foreign subsidiary of a top ten pharmaceutical company.
- Worked closely with the senior leadership team to develop an integrated strategic plan, organizational structure, and financial forecast to achieve the integration of the two organizations and cost synergies of $100+ million within six months.
- Oversaw the project management of a multichannel marketing initiative with a $40 million annual budget for a leading US oncology company.
- Developed the program structure, program, workstream plans, key milestones and ensured effective change management for the initiative—successfully meeting all program targets and the budget objectives set by senior leadership.
- Directed the financial valuation and market assessment of a biosimilar venture for a leading Asia biopharmaceutical company with a potential portfolio value of over $3 billion, creating and presenting the final recommendations to senior leadership based on a fully dynamic financial valuation model that modeled product-level cash flows.
- Spearheaded the development of a strategic and financial plan as well as a presentation covering over $6 billion in revenue for a leading global oncology company.
- Worked closely with leadership in a three-day off-site workshop and retreat to develop and finalize the key strategic imperatives and objectives, SWOT analysis, and in-depth tactical action plans by function.
- Directed an engagement team that developed and coordinated the global launch strategy of an oncology product for a leading pharmaceutical company, including developing the overall commercialization strategy; conducting a comprehensive market research program; creating the presentation encompassing the product launch as well as positioning, pricing, market access, and functional support planning. The product achieved fast track status and over $1 billion in global revenue.
- Supervised the strategic and financial evaluation of a critical market opportunity exceeding $1 billion for a leading vaccine-based biotechnology company, developing the final presentation and presenting to the leadership team and board of directors highlighting the attractiveness of the market, value creation opportunities, and final recommendations.
- Conducted market research and built a market valuation model based on financial forecasts that assessed the key market segments and the product's competitive advantage with critical stakeholders.
Head of Corporate Planning
- Led a cross-functional team of 30+ to define, develop, and implement company-wide strategic and business unit planning. Was selected as a member of the Millennium Product and Pipeline Management (MPPM) steering committee.
- Led a new, organization-wide approach to corporate planning that exceeded expectations by implementing a novel balanced scorecard dashboard ahead of plan that provided the management committee and the board of directors with an evergreen system for monitoring and making critical strategic and operational decisions.
- Developed key performance metrics, indicators, and milestones for four key focus areas, including product, pipeline, people, and value creation that used in investor relations communications and company presentations.
- Spearheaded and developed Millennium’s business plan by working closely with senior management to define key corporate strategic, operating, and financial goals and implementation timelines that were approved by the board of directors.
- Conducted internal stakeholder interviews and external market research that supported vital findings.
Principal and Member of Global Management Team
ISO Healthcare Consulting (a former Monitor company)
- Directed and developed multiple franchise and marketing strategies for leading pharmaceutical companies in core therapeutic areas such as oncology, neurology, cardiovascular, and orphan drugs.
- Worked closely with senior marketing executives, and led engagement teams to develop and implement the strategic imperatives, lifecycle management strategies, new product launch strategies, and business development opportunities.
- Led a cross-functional engagement team in the design, development, and implementation of a leading-edge R&D decision support system for the subsidiary of a top-ten pharmaceutical company with an R&D budget of $800 million.
- Integrated and streamlined all business processes and developed performance metrics and indicators that formed the basis for the final financial dashboard. The end system enhanced senior R&D management decision-making and portfolio management by integrating activity-based project costing, resource management, product development, commercial strategy, and alliance management.
US Practice Leader
Cambridge Pharma Consultancy (a former IMS Health subsidiary)
- Led project teams in the development of US marketing and pricing and reimbursement strategies for products in inflammatory, metabolic, cardiovascular, and antibiotic therapeutic areas.
- Worked closely with senior marketing leadership to develop optimal product strategies that maximized product potential by integrating pricing policies with marketing and development strategies and developed presentations that supported the final recommendations.
- Conducted extensive market research and thought leader interview programs that encompassed physicians, payers, and patient stakeholders.
- Developed novel pricing and market access strategies that enabled multiple products to achieve revenue of $1+ billion.
Group Head — R&D Portfolio Management
- Led the Portfolio Management Group and evaluated Merck’s R&D development product portfolio utilizing the research planning model featured in Harvard Business Review and Fortune. These recommendations and results enabled and enhanced senior management strategic planning, R&D resource allocation, and portfolio value optimization.
- Was selected as a core team member of commercialization teams for major Merck development projects such as Zocor®, Crixivan®, Fosamax®, and Singulair®.
- Worked closely with cross-functional team members to develop commercialization and financial strategy for each project and presented key findings to senior management.
- Led the financial assessment and participated in the due diligence and negotiation of a licensing arrangement with Celltech, a British biotechnology company, for several commercially promising asthma compounds. The Economist cited the deal as an example of the way companies are developing better methods of measuring the economic value of R&D products.
- Developed a financial cash flow-based model that determined the breakeven pricing and optimal pricing strategy for Crixivan®, a best-in-class product for HIV.
- Worked closely with marketing to develop price and quantity-based revenue forecast scenarios and with R&D and manufacturing to model different investment and expense scenarios that could impact the overall return-on-investment (ROI).
- Evaluated the risk characteristics, key drivers and the overall value of the Merck R&D portfolio, developing cash flow based valuation models integrated with Monte Carlo-based risk modeling using internal marketing, R&D and financial projections over a 20-year horizon for each product in the portfolio.
Manager — Financial Evaluation and Analysis
- Developed integrated, dynamic cash flow-based valuation models that evaluated multiple corporate finance transactions involving over $7 billion in assets.
- Participated in due diligence and deal negotiations, making recommendations to the corporate development and licensing teams as well as senior finance management on proposed deal structures and terms.
- Gained transactional experience including joint ventures, co-licensing and development arrangements, divestitures, and acquisitions.
- Built integrated financial models based on internal revenue, cost, and expense forecasts that highlighted key areas for cost reduction.
- Developed financial analysis and risk-based scenario analysis that supported senior management decision-making on a corporate restructuring initiative that resulted in cost savings of $2.5 billion.
Senior Business Analyst — Corporate Development, Licensing, and Planning
- Developed a strategic framework and assessment of the biotechnology industry that recommended increasing Merck’s involvement in biotechnology and the use of equity arrangements in early-stage technology deals.
- Created financial models and income statement projections to highlight the impact of different strategic scenarios.
- Developed the key financial findings that supported a $775 million corporate restructuring.effort.
- Built an integrated financial model that leveraged internal forecasts for marketing, sales, manufacturing, R&D, and other critical functions to model the impact of strategic scenarios under consideration by senior management.
Executive Education in Systems Dynamics, Corporate Finance
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Sloan School of Management - Cambridge, MA, USA
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Corporate Finance
University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business - Notre Dame, IN, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
Western Washington University - Bellingham, WA, USA