Verified Expert in Finance
Matt has served as a director of business development and finance for multiple venture-backed companies, where he's helped raise seed and venture capital funding totaling $30 million. He enjoys leading or supporting small teams as well as providing senior executives and board of directors with deliverables such as fundraising materials, financial models, board and investor presentations, market analyses, and negotiated contracts.
- Led the business development efforts and consulting engagements targeting turnaround, supply chain, and private equity-focused consulting practices as well as supply chain senior executives within Fortune 1000 companies.
- Supported the restructuring engagement of a top-three strategy consulting firm; co-led a team of five, reporting to the chief procurement officer of a Fortune 500 chemical manufacturer.
- Developed and managed processes to systematically contact, categorize, and renegotiate terms with 1,000+ vendors over a six-month period.
- Coordinated the efforts with 30 corporate and site buyers in order to identify opportunities for negotiation leverage.
- Secured $14 million of recurring savings from $200 million of spend, surpassing internal target by 40%.
- Secured $8 million of recurring savings over a two-month period while reporting to CFO of a TSX-listed utility company.
- Founded Ascend Fitness, a customer on-boarding platform targeting the $25 billion US health club market.
- Hired and managed a team of five, including one co-founder, three software developers, and one domain expert.
- Led the product team to launch an MVP in one month, version 1 in six months and multiple subsequent iterations driven by customer development efforts and user feedback.
- Built a sales pipeline of 197 enterprise leads, culminating in 27 product demo meetings with senior executives.
- Secured SaaS contracts with a top-20 club operator, independent trainers, and a leading corporate wellness provider.
- Raised a convertible note seed round (followed by a strategic investment from a leading club operator) to fund the product development and commercial launch.
Director of Business Development
- Led the business development, market research, and finance projects; developed and presented related materials at API board of directors meetings.
- Negotiated the license, service, and research agreements with multiple third parties; achieved favorable economic and IP-related terms—saving more than $500,000.
- Developed a pro forma financial model for $28 million Series C financing; led the 2013 $15+ million budgeting process and developed budget tracking tool for API management to monitor the actual vs. budget expenditure.
- Created pitch materials and supported CEO on 20+ strategic partnership meetings with corporate candidates.
- Surveyed and monitored a competitive landscape for a leading program: identifying multiple acquisition/licensing candidates and providing API guidance on competitive product features and performance.
Master of Business Administration Degree (MBA) in General Management
University of Virginia Darden School of Business - Charlottesville, VA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Biology
University of Virginia - Charlottesville, VA, USA