Verified Expert in Finance
Bill has executed on dozens of venture, growth, recapitalization, and M&A transactions. He’s worked in investment banking (Raymond James), corporate development (Aderant, owned by NYSE: ROP), and private equity (Fulcrum Equity Partners). He enjoys freelancing to help clients develop and operationalize their growth plan and consider all funding options across capital raising, corporate finance, and M&A in order to drive growth and maximize value.
Be Curious Partners
- Led a $2 million Series Seed II round for Good Buy Gear (a disruptive eCommerce business for baby gear), including all phases of diligence and deal negotiation, and subsequently sat on the board of directors. Coordinated the round with highly reputable participating venture funds including Relay Ventures and Access Venture Partners.
- Mapped the $46 billion "new mom" economy to eight investment categories of interest and implemented a rigorous opportunity screening and deal development process.
- Built and managed all back-office responsibilities for management company spanning tax and accounting, LP reporting, legal, and all other vendors.
- Engaged in value-added advisory relationships with four portfolio companies, including one board seat and three board observer roles. Advised monthly or bi-weekly in areas including strategic planning, financial forecasting, unit economics, team building, product development, and fundraising.
- Prepared and presented comprehensive portfolio and management company updates to the advisory board on a quarterly basis.
Director of Strategic Programs
Aderant (Subsidiary of NYSE: ROP)
- Led tuck-in acquisitions of Handshake (30-employee provider of knowledge management software) and BillBlast (six-employee provider of legal billing software). For both, built detailed projection models (including synergy analyses), with both models forming the basis for go-forward budgets. In addition, managed all facets of business diligence including sales and marketing, professional services, support, financial, and technology (internal and third party). Led successful integrations completed in under 90 days.
- Implemented and led strategy deployment process, a program to drive the development, execution, and monitoring of a comprehensive set of action plans and KPIs rolling up to an annual strategic plan geared to achieve stretch goals.
- Built and maintained a comprehensive, five-year business projection for presentation to operating board of corporate parent Roper (NYSE: ROP). Built the product-line P&L forecast model (encompassing six product suites) with scenarios based on a wide set of business triggers.
- Built a bottoms-up projection model for the company's first cloud-based product. Worked with the product GM to size the market and develop comprehensive assumptions by customer size, region, and product module decision to drive the model. Targeted rapid growth from $0 to $5 million ARR over a 24-month period.
- Created and led the committee to provide official governance for pricing changes as well as a forum for strategic decision-making around pricing. Built and maintained the company's first comprehensive price catalog encompassing six product suites and hundreds of modules. Ran quarterly meetings and administered all other facets of the committee (minutes, decks, price change scenario analyses).
- Designed engagement program for third-party implementation partners. De facto point of contact for all existing and potential partners in the ecosystem.
Fulcrum Equity Partners
- Executed majority recapitalization of CarePlus, a provider of market-leading anesthesia management and recruitment for amubulatory surgery centers. Represented lead equity fund in a $10 million equity group and secured $20 million in unitranche debt. Coordinated diligence efforts with a co-sponsor, wrote the investment committee memorandum, maintained LBO model/presented to potential debt and equity partners, performed internal QOE analysis, and reviewed the virtual data room.
- Executed two tuck-in acquisitions of home health and hospice providers (each in the $6 – 10 million enterprise value range) in coordination with portfolio company Five Points Healthcare. For both, built a leveraged buyout model, participated in onsite diligence, drafted and presented a lender book, determined optimal capital structure, participated in the QOE review process, and participated in negotiation of documentation.
- Executed $5 million in Series A financing for Prevalent, a provider of cybersecurity solutions. Conducted initial reviews, participated in term sheet negotiation, wrote investment committee memorandum, helped structure modified participating preferred security, coordinated diligence efforts (on-site/customer/technology), reviewed virtual data room, and participated in documentation.
- Executed a combined merger/growth round between two sub-$10 million revenue providers of loyalty technology for SMBs. Conducted merger analysis to determine relative value of businesses and incorporated complex liquidation preference rights of existing investors.
- Drove quarterly and annual LP reporting processes for an 18-company portfolio (Fund II) and a five-company portfolio (Fund I). For the annual meeting, implemented process improvements around the development of a 100+ page slide deck. For both, improved templates, drove the editing process, handled all market research, and coordinated portfolio company updates.
- Executed on a proposed $31 million buyout of an in-office medication dispensing business. Built the buyout model, participated in LOI negotiation, developed lender materials, and managed in-depth, third-party regulatory diligence which ultimately resulted in passing on the deal.
- Performed deal pipeline management throughout the lifecycle of a $93 million private equity fund, including rapid initial review and analysis of opportunities, development of one-page summaries, introductory calls, and mini-models to analyze potential transaction and returns scenarios, and presentation opportunities in weekly partner meetings.
- Supported portfolio company realizations of $65 million and $110 million enterprise values. For both, liased with investment bankers to provide company information, reviewed marketing materials, and performed ad-hoc analyses including in-depth customer analysis and waterfall and returns.
Investment Banking Analyst
Raymond James Financial
- Executed on the successful sale of a $50 million enterprise value wastewater treatment equipment business. Built a detailed forecast model, drafted all marketing materials (including executive summary and CIM), managed outreach to 100+ potential buyers, gathered and reviewed LOI's populated and managed data room, and shepherded the deal (in concert with the managing director and management team) through the process to a successful close.
- Developed a pitch for the go-private transaction of a $2 billion specialty consumer product company. Valued the company using LBO, precedent transaction, and trading comparables methodologies. Used public filings to analyze potential refinancing of a senior credit facility and reclassification of capital stock.
- Advised a client in a formal bidding process for 146 convenience stores being divested by a multinational oil and gas corporation. Assisted the client throughout the entire bidding process, including valuation using a store-level P&L model, analysis of data room information, and drafting and submission of final-round bid documents.
- Advised a client in pursuit of acquisition targets in consumer products and services industries. Responsible for identifying and evaluating a universe of potential acquisition targets in the $100 – 150 million enterprise value range.
- Led recruiting efforts for an analyst at a university. Gathered resumes, conducted on-site interviews, conducted further interviews via "super days," and participated in hiring decisions in a highly competitive industry.
Bachelor's Degree in Banking and Finance
University of Georgia - Athens
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring