Ruby Developer in Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan
Engineering Blog Editor2017 - PRESENTToptal, Inc.
Technologies: Google Docs, Google Sheets, Kramdown, HubSpot, Trello, Slack, SEO, LaTeX
- Authored original works, liaised with authors regarding their works, and edited works.
- Conducted, aided in, and applied SEO research to works.
- Published works to the Engineering blog, and released newsletters to the subscriber-base.
- Documented the implicit team process, allowing quick iterations and reference.
- Made plenty of mistakes, but was once called "intimidatingly productive" in a review.
- Used personal influence and connections to reopen previously closed content distribution avenues—directly increasing readership.
Co-founder | CTO2017 - PRESENTNazdeeq.com
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Nginx, Docker, Kubernetes, Amazon Product Advertising API
- Built the technology that powers the company.
- Created complex Nginx configurations that power the core application.
- Constructed a powerful, very available infrastructure to handle the huge traffic demands.
- Containerized multiple microservices to make the software infrastructure and platform agnostic.
- Developed scalable pipelines for support and partner communications.
Freelance Senior Ruby on Rails Engineer2017 - 2017ABC Containers (via Toptal)
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, GitLab CI, Mailgun, eSignature
- Created a customized ERP for the business.
- Automated almost all of the manual aspects of the business logic.
- Developed a database schema that would fit past data and aid in new data.
- Implemented real-time business reports.
- Reviewed and translated business logic into code.
CEO | Developer | Head of Operations2014 - 2017Payload Technologies, Inc.
Technologies: Ruby on Rails
- Architected an auditable financial system that allowed users to exchange balance and make payments among each other.
- Developed a messaging application that allowed users to talk to each other in real time.
- Implemented an escrow system that would hold and payout the agreed amounts based on user actions.
- Used third-party APIs to securely store Bitcoin.
- Created a service that automatically liquidated Bitcoin into currency through third-party exchanges.
Technology Consultant2012 - 2014Treebark
Technologies: HTML/CSS, Photoshop
- Created brochureware websites for clients.
- Set up and maintained WordPress and Joomla websites.
- Registered and managed domain names on behalf of clients.
- Implemented Google apps for clients.
- Project C.A.R.E. | A Community Effort to Eradicate Forced Child Begging (Development)https://care.gilani.me
A crowd-sourced effort to eradicate forced child begging.
In Pakistan, it is common to see young children, under the age of 15, who are forced to beg on the streets by their parents or a faceless mafia. Only in Pakistan are these future doctors, engineers, and entrepreneurs ignored by every citizen that passes them.
We wanted to help eliminate this terrible practice, but imagine our surprise, when we discovered that a law already exists to curb it. This SDG Hackathon gave us the ability to use our technology for good.
As citizens of Pakistan and as human beings, we asked ourselves why there are children still begging on the streets when there are strict laws protecting them and seemingly well-performing government organizations.
We realized greater civilian reporting and oversight of these organizations is all that remains to be improved upon so we started doing just that with technology.
- Please Use Git (Other amazing things)https://hackernoon.com/please-use-git-da3bea7d1234
Counterarguments to the most common reasons against using Git.
Despite Git being ubiquitous among organizations and teams, I’ve met a surprising number of people in Pakistan that don’t use version control. It makes it incredibly difficult for me to collaborate with them.
- Two Welcome Side Effects of Webpack in Rails | Article (Other amazing things)https://web.archive.org/web/20170924211345/https://www.euruko2017.org/2017/09/19/two-welcome-side-effects-of-webpack-in-rails.html
- Scale with Speed: The Bitcoin Lightning Network Explained (Publication)The Bitcoin Lightning Network is an independent solution that’s heralded as the solution to bitcoin’s scaling problem by keeping fees minuscule and making transactions instant, away from the blockchain. In this article, Toptal Freelance Blockchain Developer Amin Shah Gilani explores what the Bitcoin Lightning Network really is, how it can make the guarantees it provides, and its current state.
- How to Build an Effective Initial Deployment Pipeline (Publication)Do you run deployment scripts from your development machine, or find yourself referring to deployments by the day of the week they were deployed, instead of using version numbers? It’s time for a better solution. In this article, Freelance Ruby Engineer and automation enthusiast Amin Shah Gilani walks you through his perfect deployment pipeline to use at the beginning of your project. With this CI/CD configuration, every push is tested, the master branch is deployed to staging servers with a fresh database dump from the production server, and versioned tags are deployed to production with backups and migrations running automatically.
- Rails Service Objects: A Comprehensive Guide (Publication)Rails ships with everything you need to prototype your application quickly, but when your codebase starts growing, you'll run into scenarios where the conventional Fat Model, Skinny Controller mantra breaks. When your business logic can't fit in either a model or a controller, that's when service objects come in and let us separate every business action into its own Ruby object.
- A Guide to Security Best Practices for Remote Teams (Publication)Learn how, with the right remote worker security policy, distributed teams can be just as secure as in-house teams. Toptal Freelance Software Engineer and full-time remote worker Amin Shah Gilani walks us through common security attack methods, cyber defense strategies, and, finally, an example of a good remote worker security policy.
- Unlimited Scale and Free Web Hosting with GitHub Pages and Cloudflare (Publication)Whether you’re a bootstrapped startup that needs a brochureware website or a corporation that needs a high-performing web app, this post is for you. In it, Toptal Software Engineer Amin Shah Gilani teaches you how to setup a static, SSL-secure website for the very low cost of free, using Github Pages and Cloudflare.
FrameworksRuby on Rails (RoR), Bootstrap 3+, Express.js
ToolsCucumber, RSpec, Git, GitHub Pages, GitHub, Adobe Photoshop, Jekyll, Docker Compose
ParadigmsTest-driven Development (TDD), Behavior-driven Development (BDD)
OtherAPIs, Domains & Hosting, Semantic UI, Bitcoin, Documentation, Writing
Libraries/APIsNode.js, React, jQuery, Coinbase API, Twitter API, Stripe API, Stripe
PlatformsDocker, Ubuntu, Mailgun, Raspberry Pi, Ghost.io, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Blockchain
StorageMongoDB, PostgreSQL, AWS S3
- Bachelor of Science degree with honors in Economics and Finance2010 - 2015Lahore School of Economics - Lahore, Pakistan
- Getting Started with PythonJANUARY 2017 - PRESENTUniversity of Michigan | Coursera (https://coursera.org/verify/2GU354Z9X8XT)
- Ruby on Rails: An IntroductionJUNE 2016 - PRESENTJohns Hopkins University | Coursera (https://coursera.org/verify/HSL4KJ7AHJ94)