Amin Shah Gilani
Amin is a developer and entrepreneur who writes clean, test-driven code in Ruby and ES6 wrapped in perfectly-crafted containers for DevOps. As a freelancer and two-time co-founder, he's launched products making $10,000+ in revenue, successfully raised funding in Silicon Valley for his Pakistan-based startup, and won two hackathons—from among 300+ global entries. In his spare time, he authors technical content and contributes to open-source.
MacOS, Ubuntu, Atom, Git
The most amazing...
...thing I've coded is a Bitcoin-to-currency converter bot that I would send bitcoin to and it would convert it to PKR and wire it to my bank account.
Co-founder | CTO
- Built the technology that powers the company.
- Created complex Nginx configurations that power the core application.
- Constructed a powerful, very available infrastructure to handle the huge traffic demands.
- Containerized multiple microservices to make the software infrastructure and platform agnostic.
- Developed scalable pipelines for support and partner communications.
Interim Chief Technology Officer
- Managed the technology team which—at the time—consisted of myself and mobile developer, and identified the roles required to grow the team in a manner consistent with company goals.
- Documented application structure, engineering processes, and built an internal issues management process that lead to the identification of tens of issues—many of which were critical to product performance.
- Identified key features to work towards, and a potential 40%-60% reduction in technology-related costs. These aided in developing a roadmap for company technology.
- Was responsible for site reliability and responded outages 3 incidents within a few minutes—even when the outage was out of work hours. Customers were appropriately informed, and the incident was recorded with mitigations strategies recommended.
Engineering Blog Editor
- Authored original works, liaised with authors regarding their works, and edited works.
- Conducted, aided in, and applied SEO research to works.
- Published works to the engineering blog, and released newsletters to the subscriber-base.
- Documented the implicit team process, allowing quick iterations and reference.
- Made plenty of mistakes, but was once called "intimidatingly productive" in a review.
- Used personal influence and connections to reopen previously closed content distribution avenues—directly increasing readership.
Freelance Senior Ruby on Rails Engineer
ABC Containers (via Toptal)
- Created a customized ERP for the business.
- Automated almost all of the manual aspects of the business logic.
- Developed a database schema that would fit past data and aid in new data.
- Implemented real-time business reports.
- Reviewed and translated business logic into code.
CEO | Developer | Head of Operations
Payload Technologies, Inc.
- Architected an auditable financial system that allowed users to exchange balance and make payments among each other.
- Developed a messaging application that allowed users to talk to each other in real time.
- Implemented an escrow system that would hold and payout the agreed amounts based on user actions.
- Used third-party APIs to securely store Bitcoin.
- Created a service that automatically liquidated Bitcoin into currency through third-party exchanges.
- Created brochureware websites for clients.
- Set up and maintained WordPress and Joomla websites.
- Registered and managed domain names on behalf of clients.
- Implemented Google apps for clients.
Project C.A.R.E. | A Community Effort to Eradicate Forced Child Begginghttps://care.gilani.me
In Pakistan, it is common to see young children, under the age of 15, who are forced to beg on the streets by their parents or a faceless mafia. Only in Pakistan are these future doctors, engineers, and entrepreneurs ignored by every citizen that passes them.
We wanted to help eliminate this terrible practice, but imagine our surprise, when we discovered that a law already exists to curb it. This SDG Hackathon gave us the ability to use our technology for good.
As citizens of Pakistan and as human beings, we asked ourselves why there are children still begging on the streets when there are strict laws protecting them and seemingly well-performing government organizations.
We realized greater civilian reporting and oversight of these organizations is all that remains to be improved upon so we started doing just that with technology.
Please Use Githttps://hackernoon.com/please-use-git-da3bea7d1234
Despite Git being ubiquitous among organizations and teams, I’ve met a surprising number of people in Pakistan that don’t use version control. It makes it incredibly difficult for me to collaborate with them.
Two Welcome Side Effects of Webpack in Rails | Articlehttps://web.archive.org/web/20170924211345/https://www.euruko2017.org/2017/09/19/two-welcome-side-effects-of-webpack-in-rails.html
How to Build an Effective Initial Deployment Pipeline
A Guide to Security Best Practices for Remote Teams
Unlimited Scale and Free Web Hosting with GitHub Pages and Cloudflare
Rails Service Objects: A Comprehensive Guide
Scale with Speed: The Bitcoin Lightning Network Explained
A Software Defined Radio Tutorial: Images From the International Space Station and Listening to Hams With an RTL-SDR
Ruby on Rails (RoR), ASP.NET MVC, Bootstrap 3+, Express.js
Vue, Node.js, Amazon Product Advertising API, Google Play API, React, jQuery, Coinbase API, Twitter API, Stripe API, Stripe
Cucumber, RSpec, Git, GitHub Pages, GitHub, Adobe Photoshop, Jekyll, Atom, GitLab, NGINX, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Trello, Slack, LaTeX, Ghost, Docker Compose
Test-driven Development (TDD), Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Behavior-driven Development (BDD)
iOS, Docker, Ubuntu, MacOS, Linux, Mailgun, Raspberry Pi, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Blockchain
APIs, Domains & Hosting, Semantic UI, Bitcoin, Embedded Software, User Experience (UX), Digital Signatures, kramdown, HubSpot, Documentation, Writing & Editing
MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3)
Bachelor of Science Degree with Honors in Economics and Finance
Lahore School of Economics - Lahore, Pakistan
Ruby Association Certified Ruby Programmer Silver
Ruby Association (https://www.credential.net/vbkdpiax)
Ruby Association Certified Ruby Programmer Gold
Ruby Association (https://www.credential.net/2vxzz0eg)
Getting Started with Python
University of Michigan | Coursera (https://coursera.org/verify/2GU354Z9X8XT)
Ruby on Rails: An Introduction
Johns Hopkins University | Coursera (https://coursera.org/verify/HSL4KJ7AHJ94)