Machine Learning Lead, Conversational AI Systems2017 - PRESENTPraekelt Consulting (Now called Helm)
Technologies: Data Analytics, REST APIs, Google Cloud, BigQuery, Google BigQuery, Deep Neural Networks, Neural Networks, Data Science, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Artificial Intelligence (AI), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Flask-RESTful, Python, Computer Vision, Natural Language Understanding (NLU), Machine Learning, Sentiment Analysis, Text Classification, Image Classification, Leadership, GPU Computing, Image Recognition
- Developed a natural language processing and computer vision service to build task-oriented conversational agents for low-resource languages. Technologies include transformers, PyTorch, TorchVision, Flask-RESTful, and PostgreSQL.
- Created intent classification, sentiment, and entity extraction models that rely on a variety of deep learning and classical machine learning techniques to accommodate various languages. Used transformers, sklearn, PyTorch, and TensorFlow.
- Developed a machine vision-based quality assurance application with a machine vision camera interface. The technologies include TorchVision, Flask-RESTful, GeniCam, and React. Used deep transfer learning to improve sample efficiency of clients' data.
Research Group Leader | Principal Research Scientist2014 - 2017Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
Technologies: 3D Math, OpenGL, Embedded Software, Assembly, OpenSceneGraph, GLSL, OpenCV, C++, Real-time Vision Systems, Leadership, GPU Computing, Image Recognition, Video Capture, Facial Tracking, Facial Recognition
- Developed a real-time image processing framework as well as image enhancement, target detection, object tracking, and state estimation algorithms.
- Developed software interfaces to hardware devices like cameras, pan-tilt-zoom systems, communication radios, and real-time clocks.
- Led the company's image processing team of full-time employees and students, published some papers, and helped with talent management and screening.
Senior Research Scientist, Optronic Sensor Systems2008 - 2014Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
Technologies: 3D Math, Rendering, OpenGL, C++, Real-time Vision Systems, GPU Computing, Video Capture, Facial Tracking, Facial Recognition
- Developed models for a physically based optronics scene simulator. The models were developed in C++ and an in-house 3D modelling tool.
- Developed physically based renderers for the long and medium wave infrared bands. The full software and hardware accelerated renderers were developed in C++ and OpenGL with GLSL. The rendering algorithms ranged from simple to path tracing.
- Developed physically based renderers for the short wave (reflective) and visual bands. The software and hardware accelerated renderers were developed in C++ and OpenGL with GLSL. The rendering algorithms ranged from simple to path tracing.
Senior Research Scientist, Modelling and Simulation2004 - 2008Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
Technologies: Simulations, Algorithms, OpenSceneGraph, Modeling, OpenGL, C++, GPU Computing, CUDA, Video Capture
- Developed a faster than real-time distributed modelling and simulation framework for wargaming type simulations. The simulation framework was implemented in C++ and employed TCP communication between the nodes.
- Developed vehicle and equipment models for wargaming type simulations. The models ranged from behavioural to physically based and were implemented in C++.
- Developed a 3D simulation viewer and analysis tool using Open Scene Graph and OSGEarth.