Verified Expert in Engineering
Carl has a lifelong passion for building software, systems, and teams. He caught the bug in college, began working with a startup the summer before graduation, and hasn't stopped since. He loves learning new languages and technologies, and most of all, he like using them to build large, interesting things.
RStudio, Git, Atom, Linux, MacOS
The most amazing...
...system I've ever designed was a full-stack SaaS SEM bid management system that used predictive algorithms, models, and large data sets to optimize campaigns.
Senior Software Architect
- Architected and developed an Identity-as-a-Service for consumers and IoT devices.
- Applied symmetric and asymmetric cryptography techniques.
- Wrote major sections of online donations platform used by political and non-profit organizations.
- Built out IoT infrastructure for secure communication among edge devices, infrastructure servers, and users.
- Engineered support and devops as needed.
Founder and CTO
The Search Agency
- Built and led the team that developed AdMax® platform, a data-driven decision support system for online marketing campaigns.
- Developed core frameworks in Java and PHP for ORM, page formatting, concurrency control, and other platform services.
- Led product development of AdMax local platform, including working with Tier I clients to manage requirements and system integration.
- Performed data analysis using R and Python on large data sets to extract trend and performance insights.
- Built location taxonomies from public and other data source in R and Python, including polygon to point-radius conversion algorithms and fine-grained population estimates.
- Continue to serve as a member of the Board of Directors.
Vice President, Technology
- Led team to develop next-generation performance-based search technology using aspects of targeted marketing and linguistic- and meaning-based search techniques.
Managing Director, Simpli
- Led teams of scientists and engineers to develop state-of-the-art microtargeting technology. Initial applications of the technology resulted in a 3x increase in click yield.
Director of Software Development
- Heavy use of corpus-based/statistical NLP techniques and neural network technology.
Software Development Manager
American Power Conversion
- Introduced several new products, including software that Microsoft included as the UPS monitoring component in Windows 2000.
- Led redesign of core PowerChute product in Java. First deliverable was developed in half the time as the previous platform with a fraction of the defects.
- Researched technology trends and assessed impact to APC's business. Wrote several analysis papers and presented quarterly overviews to CEO and executive management.
- Led team developing award-winning SNMP network management solutions for APC devices. Products included server, workstation, and embedded hardware platforms.
- Involved with the design and implementation of PowerChute plus for OS/2, Windows NT, and Unix. Improved graphical user interface design using XVT toolkit. System was written in C++.
- Developed financial systems, office management systems, and other small business applications mainly in FoxPro.
- Designed and implemented networked workstations and servers.
Software Engineer/User Interface Designer
Gateway Design Automation
- Hired to design modern user interfaces for new product features and in upgrading existing ones.
- Initiated implementation of portable library that would enforce proprietary look and feel while using familiar paradigms from each host platform.
- Member of a team designing and implementing User Interface Management System based on early version of X Window System (X6).
- Involved with User Interface designs for M/CAE product.
Climate Data Analysishttps://github.com/carldunham/climate-data
Patent: System and method for determining weighted average success probabilities of internet advertisementshttp://www.google.com/patents/US8224698
Patent: Method and system for attributing an online conversion to multiple influencershttps://www.google.com/patents/US20110231239
Patent: Cost-per-action search engine system, method and apparatushttps://www.google.com/patents/US20030216930
Django REST Framework, Bootstrap 3, AngularJS, Django, Flask, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
REST, Agile Software Development, Object-oriented Design (OOD), Concurrent Programming, MapReduce, Event-driven Programming, Design Patterns, Service-oriented Architecture (SOA)
Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), WordPress, MacOS, RStudio, Google App Engine
MongoDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL
Software Architecture, Scientific Computing, Machine Learning, System Architecture, Spatial Statistics
Bottle.py, jQuery, Restangular, Underscore.js, Node.js
Git, Emacs, Subversion (SVN), Shell, Atom, CVS
MBA Degree in Business
University of Rhode Island - Kingston, RI
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Brown University - Providence, RI