React Developer and DevOps (Amazon AWS) Manager2017 - 2018Orobo (via Toptal)
- Created a front-end application for international money transfer and bill payments based on React.
- Designed AWS infrastructure and configured EC2 instances, load balancers, VPCs, and related services.
Full-stack Core Developer2017 - 2017Protorisk (DIFC), Ltd. (via Toptal)
- Created a fully customizable dynamic chat flow designer for the next generation of Botpress.io.
- Created a custom queuing library with data persistence in RDBS based on the Eventemitter pattern.
Node.js API Developer2016 - 2016Hotspot (Global), Ltd. (via Toptal)
Technologies: Node.js, PostgreSQL
- Created a RESTful API in Node.js.
- Implemented a PostgreSQL geospatial data model and nearby search.
- Integrated iOS push notifications.
- Worked with the iOS developer to align API architecture and documentation.
- Worked with the client to align functionalities and scope of their product.
Interim VP of Engineering2016 - 2016Labster (via Toptal)
Technologies: Project Management, Agile, Lean
- Created and optimized Agile development processes.
- Implemented and customized JIRA as a platform for managing all teams within the organization.
- Created screening process and test materials for building a QA team.
- Worked with other team members to implement support and service desk.
Head of Development2007 - 2014DevLogic
Technologies: C#, Node.js, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, ASP.NET MVC
- Introduced an ITIL process for customer support services.
- Developed and supported an ITSM solution based on the BMC Remedy AR system.
- Worked as a customer consultant, helping customers define and clarify their ideas, product development phases, and scope to ensure quick go-to-market.
- Acted as Scrum master or Scrum product owner on multiple projects based on C# and Node.js.
- Supported sales personnel in customer meetings with regards to planning, technical possibilities, innovation, etc.
- Handled job candidate interviews and evaluations.
Developer2004 - 20075th Dimension
Technologies: Clarion, C#, SQL Server
- Worked on the development of an ERP solution based on Clarion.
- Specified architecture and managed development of a unified student information system for over 20 faculties of the University of Sarajevo.
- Developed an application for managing procurement processes in large organizations.
- Developed an application for managing payment processes, tracking, and analysis of financial flows.
- Organized training for volunteers from the Faculty of Math and Science.
IT Manager2001 - 2004Bosnia and Herzegovina Automobile Club
- Created a new road assistance and membership management system with a distributed database in over fifteen cities and thirty locations across the country.
- Created a specialized point-of-sales application used in front-office locations.
- Built an application for management and tracking of automobile races under the coordination of the Club.
- Managed a team of eight people responsible for all technology supporting races, including time measurement.
- Designed and developed the official web portal of the Club.
Developer1999 - 2001Djikic Software Development
- Worked as a team member developing a CGI-based database management tool for web.
- Created a Microsoft FrontPage plugin for generating database management HTML pages (CRUD).
- Created web portals based on an in-house CMS authoring tool.
- Worked together with a web designer to align client expectations and project cost.
- Child tracking device (Development)
I worked with the company owner to specify the entire system functionality based on his initial idea, as well as the full software architecture to support thousands of devices.
- Node.js / ExpressJS Authentication module (Other amazing things)https://www.npmjs.org/package/bearer
A bearer authentication module using a token and authorization HTTP header for ExpressJS-based applications.
- Fleet management system (Development)
I created a GPS vehicle tracking system that is independent on a GPS device hardware provider. I was the only developer on the system and created every element of the application, including a GPRS TCP/IP-based server for communication with GPS devices, web portal for end users, administration and management portal, and analytics and reporting module.
- Customer support portal (Development)
I specified the system architecture and managed a development team of 6 people to develop a customer support portal used by 3000+ users across the globe. The portal integrated multiple back-end systems that were initially independent and added ITSM processes on top.
- A Beginner’s Guide To Managing Software Development with Kanban and Trello (Publication)While the success of your project depends on many factors, one of the most common reasons projects fail is a lack of management or downright bad project management. In this post, Lead Engineering Editor Demir Selmanovic teaches you the basics of Agile project management using Kanban and Trello.
- How to Make an Android and iOS App in C# on a Mac (Publication)In the past few years, Microsoft has pulled a few aces from up its sleeve. Yes, they messed up Skype, failed with smartphones, and almost succeeded with tablets. But, they did some really amazing things as well. Relinquishing their closed empire approach, they open-sourced .NET, joined the Linux Foundation, released SQL Server for Linux, and created this great new tool called Visual Studio for Mac. In this post, Head of Open Source Demir Selmanovic details how to make an Android and iOS app in C# on your Mac.
- What The Hell Is DevOps? (Publication)Using modern DevOps Tools like Chef, Docker, Ansible, Packer, Troposphere, Consul, Jenkins, SonarQube, AWS, etc. does not mean that you are applying DevOps principles. DevOps is a way of thinking.
- Cryptocurrency for Dummies: Bitcoin and Beyond (Publication)Bitcoin created a lot of buzz on the Internet. It was ridiculed, it was attacked, and eventually it was accepted and became a part of our lives. However, Bitcoin is not alone. At this moment, there are over 700 AltCoin implementations, which use similar principles of CryptoCurrency.
- Toptal and Facebook - Creating a Global Virtual Office (Publication)Toptal has taken its place as one of the strategic partners in Facebook's effort to connect the world. Our vision of a distributed and office-less company with developers spread all over the globe has proven to be an amazing match to Facebook’s attempts to connect people worldwide.
- .NET Core - Going Wild and Open Source. Microsoft, what took you so long?! (Publication)ESA’s Rosetta mission soft-landed its Philae probe on a comet, the first time in history that such an extraordinary feat has been achieved. Closely after that, Microsoft Open Sourced .NET. The first event is a great step for mankind, and the latter is even greater for Microsoft!
- Mirror API Tutorial: Google Glass for Web Developers (Publication)Wouldn’t it be great to develop for Google Glass without learning a new programming language, and even by just using knowledge common to all web developers? Yes, it is possible! This article will introduce you to web development techniques you can use to build application used on Google Glass.
- The 5 Most Common Mistakes HTML5 Developers Make: A Beginner’s Guide (Publication)It's been over 20 years since Tim Berners-Lee and Robert Cailliau specified HTML, which became the standard markup language used to build the Internet. HTML5 was supposed to finally solve our problems and become "one standard to rule them all (browsers)". This was probably one of the most anticipated technologies since creation of the World Wide Web.
- The 10 Most Common Mistakes Web Developers Make: A Tutorial for Developers (Publication)Today we have thousands of digital and printed resources that provide step-by-step instructions about developing all kinds of different web applications. Development environments are "smart" enough to catch and fix many mistakes that early developers battled with regularly. There are even many different development platforms that easily turn simple static HTML pages into highly interactive applications. All of these development patterns, practices, and platforms share common ground, and they are all prone to similar mistakes caused by the very nature of web applications.
- A Tutorial for Aspiring Google Glass Developers: Building Your First Glass App (Publication)https://www.toptal.com/google-glass/building-your-first-glass-app-a-tutorial-for-aspiring-google-glass-developersGoogle Glass promises to revolutionize how we use our devices to interact with the world. But from a developer's standpoint, what is so special about developing for the Glass? You'll be glad to know that the answer is "Nothing!" Here's a step-by-step tutorial that walks you through developing your first Google Glass app.
- Demir is a mentor in the Toptal Global Mentor’s Program. This program is a partnership between Toptal and General Assembly to provide high quality mentorship for students from minority and low income backgrounds who are looking to begin their careers as professional software engineers. Demir shows commitment to diversity in tech by mentoring a General Assembly student every week for a year, covering everything from coding tips and tricks to advice on making it in the industry.
FrameworksExpress.js, ASP.NET MVC, AngularJS, Knockout.js
Libraries/APIsNode.js, jQuery, React, Google Mirror, Google Maps, Facebook API
ParadigmsKanban, Agile Software Development, Service-oriented Architecture (SOA), REST, Scrum, ITIL
PlatformsGoogle Glass, Windows, Linux, Android
StorageMicrosoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Elasticsearch
OtherFull-stack, Web App Development, Ajax, WebSockets
- Professional Scrum Product Owner I (PSPO I) degree in Agile Project Management2014 - 2014On-line certification (www.scrum.org) - Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics1998 - 2002University of Sarajevo Faculty of Math and Science - Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Professional Scrum Product Owner 1 (PSPO I)SEPTEMBER 2014 - PRESENThttps://www.scrum.org/certification-list