Verified Expert in Engineering
Software Engineer and Developer
Diego is a seasoned software engineer specializing in mobile apps and embedded projects, with a knack for resurrecting troubled projects. He has excellent communication skills, significant customer-facing experience, and top-notch programming, debugging, and technical skills. With hands-on leadership and a passion for creating great products and teams, Diego brings 20 years of experience building software solutions for consumer electronics, medical, scientific, and enterprise communities.
iOS, Android, Embedded C, Embedded Linux
The most amazing...
...app I've created as a solo developer is used by millions of students registering for college assessment exams.
Lead Mobile Developer
An Augmented Reality Digital Desk Platform
- Refactored the company's core technology from a standalone app to an SDK package for embedding into multiple third-party applications.
- Led the team that converted the mobile app logic into a self-contained SDK for both iOS and Android.
- Liaised between the company and 3rd-party development teams for SDK integration.
- Interviewed and made hiring recommendations for offshore development resources.
- Maintained and enhanced both iOS and Android codebases.
Founder | Mobile Developer
- Designed and developed mobile iOS, Android, and Windows apps.
- Specialized in hardware integration and medical, retail, and aviation software.
- Worked with multiple clients to repair troubled development projects.
Mobile Developer | Lead Firmware Developer
- Created a hardware interface SDK and multiple apps to provide ARINC flight data and satellite weather information to commercial, military, and private pilots.
- Worked with hardware and firmware teams to design interface methods and protocols for efficient and scalable communications between iPhones and iPads and the client's MFi-certified aircraft avionics interface hardware.
- Built iOS frameworks to provide third-party developers access to the client's avionics interface hardware and ARINC 429 avionics protocol, encoding, and decoding.
- Developed an iOS framework to provide real-time aviation weather information, including tiled raster maps of HD NEXRAD radar, lightning, and METARs, for overlaying onto third-party moving map applications.
- Created GCD 64 Wx and DAC Bus Reader applications for the Apple App Store and several internal iOS applications used by hardware, firmware, and support teams.
Senior Firmware Developer
Audi On Demand
- Created firmware, including device drivers, for their next-generation vehicle control system on embedded Linux, using a common IoT framework.
- Architected and developed wireless protocol for app-to-vehicle communications.
- Wrote device drivers to interface with CAN bus devices, cellular modems, security encryption modules, and Bluetooth modules.
- Developed an iOS application to test Bluetooth to mobile integration.
Architect | Senior Software Engineer
- Architected app designs for iOS and Chromebook to replace paper ACT exams and developed a prototype iPad-based exam app and a React Native photo registration app.
- Worked with Apple to implement the edu-assessment-mode entitlement.
- Created the ACT photo app using React Native, which was utilized by millions of students registering to take the ACT exam.
- Transitioned the projects and supported the new internal development team.
Director of Development
- Led the team in developing a secure medical communication app that allowed healthcare providers to send text and images securely while maintaining HIPAA compliance.
- Defined the architecture for Android and iOS mobile apps, Python server applications, and RESTful APIs.
- Distributed and managed company apps in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.
- Designed APIs used by external development partners.
- Built middleware to connect external HL7 sources, a medical interoperability language, to the DocbookMD network to provide real-time critical reporting and notifications.
Co-founder | CTO
- Created a healthcare provider software suite integrating data acquisition from multiple medical devices and exercise equipment to allow providers to capture essential encounter information with minimal interaction.
- Designed a HIPAA-compliant web portal allowing multiple user types to access protected health information.
- Integrated nulifeScience technologies into hospital EHR and scheduling systems.
- Provided the technology vision and roadmap required to achieve the company goals.
Director of Software Development
- Shipped over 30 unique, networked multimedia products in five years. Many of these products received the Design and Engineering Award from the Consumer Electronics Association at the annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES).
- Led the development of Windows CE and Windows Mobile for Windows Phone products.
- Worked with Adobe and multiple other vendors to embed Flash into touchscreen products.
- Directed a large team of disparate engineers, including offshore contractors.
iOS App for Wearable Tech Bracelet
Photo Identification App for iOS and Androidhttps://www.act.org/mobileapps
Omni Sales App
Aviation Weather App for iOShttps://apps.apple.com/us/app/gdc64wx/id991165844
iOS App for Personal Air Quality Monitorhttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/raycombs/sprimo-personal-air-monitor
iOS SDK, iOS Frameworks, Core Data, UIKit, Android SDK, React Native, Core Bluetooth, ASP.NET, SwiftUI, Express.js
iOS Native Libraries, Camera API, Sockets, REST APIs, Socket.IO, API Development, Node.js, Google Maps SDK, Lottie-iOS, WebRTC, FFmpeg, React
Xcode, Android Studio, GitHub, TestFlight, Xcode Playgrounds, VPN, Figma, Expo
Model View Viewmodel (MVVM), Requirements Analysis, Agile, Cross-platform, Mobile Development, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Best Practices, Design Patterns, Gamification, Automation, HIPAA Compliance, REST, DevOps, Microservices
iOS, Android, Mobile, Software Design Patterns, Embedded Linux, Bluetooth LE, Firebase, Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Chrome OS, Windows, Windows CE, Arduino, Xamarin
Project Management, Banking & Finance
Networking, Embedded Systems, Firmware, Embedded Software, Video Streaming, Software Development Management, Video Livestreaming, LiveStream, Mobile Apps, Device Firmware Updates (DFU), Software Design, Leadership, Architecture, Startups, Native Mobile Apps, Cloud, CTO, Team Leadership, Code Review, GPS, Mobile GPS, Tracking, App Store, Technical Leadership, Hiring, Fintech, Device Drivers, TCP, UDP, Buffer Management, Internet Protocols, iPad, App Submission, System-on-a-Chip (SoC), Real-time Operating System (RTOS), Health, Embedded Hardware, Mobile App Development, Low-level Programming, APIs, Back-end, Audio, iOS Camera, TCP/IP, Multithreading, Audio Streaming, HTTPS, Software Architecture, API Integration, Third-party APIs, Digital Health, Hardware/Software Interaction, UI Animation, User Interface (UI), User Experience (UX), Networks, Optimization, Android App Design, Manufacturing, Industrial & Manufacturing, PCI Compliance, Integration, Real-time Communication (RTC), RTP, Scraping, Web Scraping, Technical Architecture, Modems, Embedded Development, Microcontrollers, Network Protocols, Over-the-top Content (OTT), Point of Sale, SDK Development, Mobile UI, Video Players, Scalability, Abstraction, Retail, Technical Consulting, Product Management, ARINC, Weather, HL7, Bluetooth, Wireless Communication, Internet of Things (IoT), WiFi, Podfile, Firmware over the Air (FOTA), Web Development, Yocto, Motion Control, Digital Signal Processing, CAN Bus, Microchip PIC18, Lottie, Routing, WAN, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, Emerging Technologies, WebSockets, Game Development, Computer Vision, Financial Transactions, Online Banking, Sierra Wireless, PIC32, POS, Bluetooth Beacons, SSL, Multicast, Audio Codecs, Video Codecs, TI DSP C2000, Aviation, MFI, Environmental Science, Linux Kernel, Augmented Reality (AR), iPerf3, Electrical Engineering, Full-stack, Front-end
Bachelor's Degree in Physics
The University of Texas at Austin - Austin, Texas, USA