Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Warehouse and BI Developer
James is a data warehouse and BI developer with over 15 years of experience in business intelligence, from design and development to support and testing. He has worked on numerous greenfield projects and reworks of existing implementation projects, and his industry experience covers private banking, accounting, manufacturing, travel, and law. James takes pride in his work and values trust and open communication.
SQL Server BI, Azure SQL Databases, Microsoft Power BI, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
The most amazing...
...project I've developed is a data warehouse framework that allows rapid implementation of a star schema and data store with minimal coding.
Data Warehouse and BI Developer
- Developed a highly-configurable data warehouse framework, refined over the past five years after an initial 6-month project. It combines the configurable star schema's performance and usability and is complimented by the data store flexibility.
- Created a Microsoft Power BI report pack for accounting consultancy clients, and included the integration of write-back visuals, facilitating cell-level commenting and budgeting while redesigning the existing star schema data model.
- Built a tool for social media monitoring and reporting using Twitter API and Google Translate API. The tool retrieves social media posts that suggest potential clients' financial wrongdoing for due diligence purposes.
- Utilized Temenos Transact banking data to develop complex logic and provide funds transfer pricing for assets under management (AUM), flow, and margin and base rate analysis.
- Researched various data tools and resources to find new ways of adding value to businesses while attending conferences, exploring new technologies, and keeping up to date with market changes.
Lead BI Developer
- Redesigned the existing Microsoft Power BI data sets to use a centralized star schema data model based on the Azure SQL Database, expanding the data sets report possibilities and improving maintainability and usability.
- Trained team members new to business intelligence, focusing on star schema design, SQL, and Microsoft Power BI.
- Used Microsoft Dynamics 365 data and covered multiple manufacturing, finance, sales, general ledger, inventory, and purchasing aspects.
- Exported data with To-Increase integration solutions and standard entities, leading to a better understanding of the Microsoft Dynamics 365 database, and used AXDB to understand the Microsoft Dynamics 365 data model.
- Implemented the Insight Data Warehouse and BI solution at some of the largest Temenos clients, such as Nordea in Luxembourg and ABN Amro in Amsterdam, including short visits to Aktia Bank in Helsinki, Commerzbank in Luxembourg, and KBC in Dublin.
- Delivered the first significant private banking implementation of the Insight R14 star schema version at Nordea in Luxemburg.
- Delivered business requirements for AUM, flow, profit and loss, decentralized autonomous organization (DAO), portfolios, adjustments, budgets, and KPIs.
- Collaborated with the product team on incorporating private banking developments into the main product.
- Provided reports that were written in SQL and exported them using SSRS and Microsoft Excel.
- Covered financial reporting, billing, debt, work-in-progress reports, realization, client case status reports, rebates, and tenders.
- Gathered requirements for a team intranet portal to track the team's work and consolidate the available resources.
Technical and Business Analyst
- Applied Agile methodologies and worked on large IT projects focused on new reservation systems and their integration into the legacy data warehouse and management information systems.
- Collaborated with the finance team to provide reports and better understand the requirements.
- Utilized the SQL Server for testing the data warehouse and later moved to support and developed the ETL for bugs and future requirements based on T-SQL.
Data Warehouse Framework
The solution uses a dynamic ETL accommodating dimension and bridge, in addition to transactional, snapshot, and accumulating tables. It includes comprehensive logging, covering schema changes, batch details, and ETL steps for maintainability.
As part of the project, I delivered cubes using SSAS, reports using SSRS, used SSIS file exports for third-party systems, and allowed users to maintain their hierarchies and other configuration using Master Data Services.
Client Report Pack Development
Microsoft Power BI write-back tools integrated into the report pack allow budgeting and commenting within Microsoft Power BI. I designed the look-and-feel of the reports and documented the process for future implementations.
Insight BI Private Banking Implementation
The business intelligence solution included a data warehouse framework and cubes that needed to be reworked for private banking purposes.
The project included using:
• T-SQL transformations to cover AUM, flow, profit and loss, portfolios, and DAO
• T-SQL process for upload, including adjustments, budgets, and KPIs
• SSAS cubes
• Azure DevOps Server
SQL, T-SQL (Transact-SQL), C++, Visual Basic
SQL Server BI, Microsoft Power BI, Excel 2016, Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, Jira, TFS
Kimball Methodology, Business Intelligence (BI), Testing, ETL, Agile, Azure DevOps
SQL Stored Procedures, Databases, SQL Server 2016, Azure SQL Databases, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), Database Administration (DBA), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Master Data Management (MDM)
Data Warehouse Design, Star Schema, Data Warehousing, Data Engineering, Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, Data Analytics, Data Architecture, Data Analysis, Systems Analysis, SQL Server Administration, User Requirements, Master Data
Bachelor's Degree in IT Software
Sheffield Hallam University - Sheffield, UK
Vocational Certificate of Education in Computing
Grantham College - Grantham, UK
General Certificate of Secondary Education in Mathematics, English, Science, Geography, and Art
Central School - Grantham, UK
MCSA: BI Reporting
MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Administration
MCSE: Data Management and Analytics
Agile Data Warehouse Design with Lawrence Corr
MCSA: SQL 2016 Business Intelligence Development
MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Development
Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Business Intelligence Expert
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring