CTO2017 - PRESENTCare & Family Health
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Express.js, Redux, Travis CI, Docker, React, Node.js
- Acted as the main full-stack developer for the company since its inception. Responsible for the backend, the frontend, and DevOps.
- Implemented security- and privacy-focused solutions due to the sensitive nature of the data (PHI), with encryption at rest and transit throughout the system's different components.
- Setup and integrated infrastructure using AWS, focusing on ECS, S3, DynamoDB, SNS, and SQS.
- Managed a small team of developers and was responsible for major technological decisions across all projects.
- Guaranteed scalability of the system for thousands of users while optimizing the infrastructure resource usage.
- Integrated with multiple third-parties, such as payment gateways (Stripe), governmental institutions (Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care), and communications providers (Stripe, RingCentral).
- Implemented fully-featured telemedicine capability into the system, where patients can have video appointments with a practitioner.
- Introduced continuous improvements and automations to make the system more efficient for the users. An example is the use of OCR to handle documents with minimal human intervention.
Full-stack Developer2016 - 2017Kaja (via Toptal)
Technologies: Java, AngularJS, PHP, Node.js
- Developed an intelligent itinerary planner that takes into account multiple variables, such as the users' preferences, point-of-interest properties (location, rating, category, and so on) using machine learning techniques such as spatial clustering and genetic algorithms.
- Developed a recommender system for events based on the users' Facebook liked pages. The system further cross-referenced the Facebook data with Last.fm's API in order to discern musical tastes.
- Added i18n to the product (both static and dynamic elements) using Microsoft Azure's Cognitive Services for automatic cached content translation.
- Implemented a customized itinerary viewer with Google Maps.
- Developed custom map overlays and integrated with the Directions API with client-side caching.
- Handled the complete redesign/rebranding of the website.
Invited Assistant Professor2016 - 2016Universidade Europeia (Laureate International Universities)
Technologies: Assembly, MySQL
- Taught and was responsible for the curricular unit Databases given to first-year students majoring in Game and Apps Development.
- Taught and was responsible for the curricular unit Computer Architecture given to first-year students majoring in Computer Science and Computer Science with Management.
- Placed in the top 10% of faculty with regard to student satisfaction.
Postdoctoral Researcher2016 - 2016Instituto de Telecomunicações
Technologies: V-REP, Artificial Neural Networks (ANN), Evolutionary Computation, Java
- Developed a novel technique to automatically synthesize neural-based control for robots with complex morphologies.
- Built a client-server application to interact with the V-REP robotics simulator via its API, enabling the parallel and distributed evaluation of robotic controllers.
- Published three peer-reviewed publications.
- Won the Fraunhofer Portugal Challenge 2016.
Doctoral Researcher2012 - 2016University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE-IUL)
Technologies: Electronics, Robotics, Machine Learning, Artificial Neural Networks (ANN), Evolutionary Computation, Java, Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Developed a novel artificial intelligence approach for automatic synthesis of robotic control.
- Designed and developed the hardware, software, and artificial intelligence for a real-world swarm robotics system.
- Published 24 peer-reviewed publications.
- Maintained and improved a custom distributed computing system.
- Applied digital fabrication techniques for fast, iterative hardware design.
- Won a Paper of Excellence award (IEEE ICDL-EPIROB, 2012), was nominated for a Best Paper award (PPSN, 2016), and won a Best Robot Video award (AAAI Video Competition, 2016).
- Wrote my Ph.D. thesis and won the "Fraunhofer Challenge" (Fraunhofer Portugal AICOS) and the "Best Ph.D. Thesis in Robotics" award (Portuguese Robotics Society).
Teaching Assistant2013 - 2015University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE-IUL)
Technologies: Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Java
- Taught the curricular unit: Introduction to Programming to first-year students majoring in computer science, computer science with management, and computer science with telecommunications.
- Taught the curricular unit: Object-Oriented Programming to first-year students majoring in computer science, computer science with management, and computer science with telecommunications.
- Organized multiple events at the university in collaboration with the local IEEE student branch.
Web Developer2009 - 2012PTWS Lda
- Developed custom full-stack eCommerce solutions based on open-source platforms.
- Created third-party payment gateways for multiple eCommerce platforms.
- Managed a small team of developers.
- Installed, configured, and developed modules for web software (Joomla, PrestaShop, WHMCS, and more).