- Full-Stack DeveloperKaja (via Toptal)2016 - 2017
Technologies: Node.js, PHP, Angular 1.5, Java
- Developed an intelligent itinerary planner that takes into account multiple variables, such as the users' preferences, point-of-interest properties (location, rating, category, etc) using machine learning techniques such as spatial clustering and genetic algorithms.
- Developed a recommender system for events based on the users' Facebook liked pages. The system further cross-referenced the Facebook data with Last.fm's API in order to discern musical tastes.
- Added i18n to the product (both static and dynamic elements) using Microsoft Azure's Cognitive Services for automatic cached content translation.
- Implemented a customized itinerary viewer with Google Maps. Implemented custom map overlays and integrated with the Directions API with client-side caching.
- Implemented a complete redesign/rebranding of the website.
- Invited Assistant ProfessorUniversidade Europeia (Laureate International Universities)2016 - 2016
Technologies: MySQL, Assembly
- Taught and was responsible for the curricular unit Databases given to first-year students majoring in Game and Apps Development.
- Taught and was responsible for the curricular unit Computer Architecture given to first-year students majoring in Computer Science and Computer Science with Management.
- Placed in the top 10% of faculty with regard to student satisfaction.
- Postdoctoral ResearcherInstituto de Telecomunicações2016 - 2016
Technologies: Java, V-REP, Evolutionary Computation, Artificial Neural Networks
- Developed a novel technique to automatically synthesize neural-based control for robots with complex morphologies.
- Developed a client-server application to interact with the V-REP robotics simulator via its API, enabling the parallel and distributed evaluation of robotic controllers.
- Published 3 peer-reviewed publications.
- Winner of the Fraunhofer Portugal Challenge 2016.
- Doctoral ResearcherUniversity Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE-IUL)2012 - 2016
Technologies: Java, Evolutionary Computation, Artificial Neural Networks, Distributed Computing Systems, Machine Learning, Robotics, Electronics
- Developed a novel artificial intelligence approach for automatic synthesis of robotic control.
- Designed and developed the hardware, software, and artificial intelligence for a real-world swarm robotics system.
- Published 24 peer-reviewed publications.
- Maintained and improved a custom distributed computing system.
- Applied digital fabrication techniques for fast, iterative hardware design.
- Won a Paper of Excellence award (IEEE ICDL-EPIROB, 2012), was nominated for a Best Paper award (PPSN, 2016), and won a Best Robot Video award (AAAI Video Competition, 2016).
- PhD thesis won the "Fraunhofer Challenge" (Fraunhofer Portugal AICOS) and the "Best PhD Thesis in Robotics" award (Portuguese Robotics Society).
- Teaching AssistantUniversity Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE-IUL)2013 - 2015
Technologies: Java, OOP
- Taught the curricular unit Introduction to Programming to first-year students majoring in Computer Science, Computer Science with Management, and Computer Science with Telecommunications.
- Taught the curricular unit Object-Oriented Programming to first-year students majoring in Computer Science, Computer Science with Management, and Computer Science with Telecommunications.
- Organized multiple events at the university in collaboration with the local IEEE student branch.
- Web DeveloperPTWS Lda2009 - 2012
- Developed custom full-stack eCommerce solutions based on open-source platforms.
- Created 3rd party payment gateways for multiple eCommerce platforms.
- Managed a small team of developers.
- Installed, configured, and developed modules for web software (Joomla, PrestaShop, WHMCS, and more).