Verified Expert in Engineering
Database and Data Engineering Developer
For over the past 20 years, Muhmud has been working with database services, mainly in the UK. He is a specialist in database development, administration, and business intelligence. Muhmud is also an accomplished Java/Spring full-stack developer, and AWS DevOps engineer, using tools such as Gitlab, Docker, and Kubernetes. More recently, he has also been involved with Go and Rust development. Muhmud's highly developed, hybrid skill set makes him a tremendous asset to any team.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), PostgreSQL, MySQL, Spring, Java, Docker, Go, Rust
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on was to develop a transformative transactional replication service using MS SQL and .NET to provide real-time business intelligence.
Rust and C Developer
- Developed and maintained back-end services written in Go.
- Deployed Kubernetes clusters on Amazon EKS and Azure AKS using Terraform.
- Built and maintained complex CI pipelines using Jenkins and Groovy.
- Maintained low-level, customer-facing applications written in Go, Rust, and C.
- Wrote automated system tests using Python and Pytest.
Data | Java Architect
- Designed a migration path for a web application from monolith to microservices. The web application has more than 100,000 users.
- Led a team of four developers to implement the designed application migration path.
- Took ownership of all PostgreSQL changes related to the migration.
- Designed the database table structure to allow Outbox pattern implementation to stream data to Apache Kafka.
Database Architect | Java Lead | AWS Architect
Open Practice Solutions
- Designed a database, optimized queries, indexed, and performed administration work for MySQL.
- Designed and deployed a new MySQL database environment to an AWS-based Galera cluster with ZFS storage.
- Led the design and development of new micro-services environment using Java and Spring WebFlux, and implemented services for payments and notifications.
- Containerized all application deployments and migrated to Docker.
- Built the AWS cloud environment from scratch, including site-to-site VPN, cross-site DNS, AWS Auto Scaling, database deployment, Redis caching, and more.
- Designed and implemented a monitoring platform for all AWS and private cloud servers and applications using Graphite, ElasticSearch, logstash, Telegraf, and Grafana.
- Built an event-driven streaming data pipeline solution using Java, MySQL, Debezium, and Apache Kafka.
- Designed and implemented an OLAP data analytics platform using MonetDB columnar database and the Pentaho Mondrian OLAP server.
IOD (via Toptal)
- Wrote technical articles, whitepapers, and blog posts for NetApp relating to their latest cloud offerings, including ONTAP Cloud and Cloud Sync.
- Worked with stakeholders to create ideas for new articles, determine article scope, and review changes.
- Performed proof of concept and performance testing work in AWS with ONTAP Cloud in order to provide statistics and test results for various articles.
- Ensured the technical accuracy of articles produced by other writers.
Database Architect | Node.js Developer
Perdoor (via Toptal)
- Designed and implemented a back-end RESTful API for mobile property app, including a database design and development using MySQL.
- Worked with project owner to aid in product development and design of the iOS mobile app UI.
- Deployed all back-end services to AWS and the setup of cloud-based dev/test environments.
AWS RDS | Database Developer
Quick, Inc. (via Toptal)
- Designed new, relational database schema in PostgreSQL for migration to AWS RDS from existing Firebase system.
- Created the full documentation, including database diagrams, design overview, additional functionality, such as for encryption-at-rest & field-level encryption, etc.
Database Designer | Node.js Developer
Humanlytics (via Toptal)
- Completely redesigned an MS SQL database system created by Chinese developers which required working with the team in China through translated Skype sessions to understand the requirements.
- Wrote migration scripts to populate the new database schema from the existing data as well as performing a reconciliation to ensure migrated data was accurate.
- Developed a RESTful API from scratch using Node.js (ESLint, Flow, Jest, Sequelize) and based on the newly developed database system.
- Created API endpoints for reporting that enabled users to specify custom data warehousing style aggregate queries to return data for the dashboards and reports.
- Implemented Apache Solr to provide search capability for customers, personnel, departments, and more. Developed independent business logic modules for salary calculation with full unit test coverage.
- Managed the set up and deployment of the API and front-end UI in AWS and Ali Cloud using Docker. Created a daily database refresh mechanism for the new database system hosted in Ali Cloud RDS.
Data Engineer | BI Developer
Cartful Solutions, Inc. (via Toptal)
- Developed complex reporting functions in SQL for event data stored in Amazon RDS for PostgreSQL.
- Made significant use of PostgreSQL JSON support to query event payloads.
- Designed a reporting schema for the data to be hosted on Amazon RedShift.
- Developed an ETL process for the event data to be loaded into the reporting schema.
Vedel IT Sdn Bhd
- Developed a back-end REST API for an in-house recruitment system using Java and PostgreSQL.
- Took ownership of the technical evaluation for new hires in various technology areas.
- Provided presales technical consultations for prospective clients.
- Performed structured evaluations of competing third-party software platforms for the company's back-office processes.
- Implemented the line management for the company's internal IT team.
SQL Server BI Architect
Cubic Transportation Systems Ltd.
- Designed and implemented a project that involved an accounting and operations data warehouse using SQL Server 2014 Analysis Services.
- Developed a web application to manage invoicing information using ASP.NET MVC and AngularJS.
- Built a back-end SOAP web service in C# to support the invoicing application's front-end.
- Implemented an SSIS ETL process to pull data from multiple data sources, including Oracle.
- Performed on-call support for the TfL's (Transport for London) SQL Server infrastructure.
MySQL Database Administrator and Developer
City Link, Ltd.
- Migrated and upgraded MySQL servers from a physical to a virtual cloud—including a configuration review, performance testing of new servers, and setup of replication for high availability.
- Developed a message processing back-end system using Java, RabbitMQ, and Memcached for the processing of over a million real-time messages per day.
- Built a WebSockets-based web front-end dashboards for real-time reporting using D3.js.
- Assessed various NoSQL solutions, including Redis and Riak, to be used alongside MySQL.
- Designed and implemented a financial data warehouse using SQL Server Analysis Services.
Aspect Capital, Ltd.
- Rearchitected the legacy environment from multiple platforms, including Oracle and MySQL, to a single MS SQL environment with OLTP and reporting clear separation.
- Implemented a system on top of the NetApp SAN infrastructure to provide a snapshot-based backup/restore and the instant creation of writable clone copies for databases of any size for testing.
- Set up a database mirroring for high availability as well as implementing PowerShell scripts to perform failovers.
- Developed a transformative transactional replication system using C++, CLI, and MS SQL features, such as CDC and Service Broker, to implement a real-time reporting system.
- Performed a POC for three competing platforms to host a financial tick database holding row volumes in the billions, including Oracle Hybrid Columnar Compression (HCC) and Vertica.
- Applied a PowerShell-based SQL Server build system for performing repeatable server builds, allowing for full operating system and database server configuration.
- Implemented a Windows service using C++ and CLI to manage the MS SQL database environment, including backups, maintenance, archiving, monitoring, and documentation.
- Used XSLT to create code generators for Java, C++, CLR, and SQL.
MS SQL | DBA | Developer
- Administered an MS SQL server for a two-node failover cluster environment hosting externally-accessed reporting back-end.
- Maintained Oracle development servers as well as provided support and advice to .NET and database developers.
- Designed and implemented a large-scale Oracle batch processing system using PL/SQL and Java.
- Implemented a data transformation system for hospital episode statistics using Oracle and featuring complex multi-row calculations.
- Used XSLT to perform PL/SQL code generation for data cleaning and transformation service in Oracle and create XML data reports.
The Retail Experience, Ltd.
- Developed a handheld-based productivity system for a major footwear retailer.
- Built a PoC for using MS SQL replication for managing the distribution of data to 300 remote sites.
- Implemented a complex reporting SQL for the company's back-end MIS reporting system.
- Implemented the commission part of the system—including application development and back-end SQL reporting.
Business Intelligence Project for Healthcare Sector
AWS Migration from Private Cloud Provider
Java/Spring Boot Microservices Development
qsh - Query SHellhttps://github.com/muhmud/qsh
Related Blog: https://firstname.lastname@example.org/improving-on-the-command-line-sql-experience-48c2b544c71b
SSAS, Eclipse IDE, Apache Maven, Emacs, Solr, Jira, Git, Docker Compose, ELK (Elastic Stack), Logstash, Zenoss, DTS, Grafana, Mondrian, Terraform, Visio, Amazon Simple Email Service (SES), Microsoft Visual Studio, RabbitMQ, TFS, Erwin, AccuRev, ScalaTest, AWS SDK, GitLab, Kibana, Jenkins
ETL, Entity-relationship Diagrams, Business Intelligence (BI), Test-driven Development (TDD), Scrum, REST, OLAP, Microservices, RESTful Development, Model View Controller (MVC), Functional Programming, Behavior-driven Development (BDD), Reactive Programming, DevOps
PostgreSQL, Database Administration (DBA), Database Modeling, Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), MySQL, Database Replication, NetApp, Oracle PL/SQL, JSON, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), PL/SQL, Redshift, Database Management Systems (DBMS), MariaDB, MonetDB, Vertica, NoSQL, Redis, Riak, Memcached, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Elasticsearch, Databases, MongoDB
Data Engineering, Data Architecture, Data, Data Warehousing, Query Optimization, Software Development, Data Warehouse Design, Freelancing, Back-end, Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery (BCDR), SANs, SSH, SMO, Architecture, Multithreading, Relational Database Services (RDS), Business, Reporting, Boot, Galera Cluster, Graphite, Shell Scripting, RESTful Microservices, Entity Relationships, SOAP, SCOM, WebSockets, Clustering, IIS, High Availability Disaster Recovery (HADR), Cloud, TypeORM, Apollo, Computer Science, Scripting, Cross-compilation
Spring, Windows PowerShell, .NET, JUnit, Dropwizard, Hibernate, Spring 5, Express.js, Swagger, Spring Boot, ASP.NET, WebFlux, AngularJS, Lift, JNI
Node.js, Objection.js, Vue, D3.js, REST APIs
Oracle, Amazon EC2, Linux, Windows Server, Docker, Azure, Firebase, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Apache Kafka, Kubernetes
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (Software Engineering)
Wolverhampton University - Wolverhampton, UK