WebGL Developer2017 - PRESENT3Decide
- Developed a 3D web component for viewing, navigating, and interacting with hierarchical 3D models.
- Developed a 3D web component for viewing and interacting with textured 3D surfaces.
- Conceived semantic description for 3D scenes, their content, appearance, and navigation possibilities.
- Built flexible architecture supporting several types of 3D model formats (OBJ, FBX, gITF), materials, animations, and lighting styles.
- Introduced several postprocessing effects to interact, highlight, and modify scene elements.
- Executed performance optimization to reduce data overhead, lower hardware requirements, and provide compatibility with mobile devices.
Technical Manager2017 - PRESENTEmitu
- Designed and developed an IoT system with applicability in several industries, such as rent-a-car, logistics, health, smart buildings, and more.
- Implemented a cloud solution featuring device management, sensor and location data gathering/visualization, flexible rule definition, and more.
- Built software to run in remote devices to read and transmit sensor and location data.
- Architected and implemented the communication protocol between distributed devices and services.
- Orchestrated fleets of remote devices and managed cloud server instances.
- Optimized queries for storage, aggregation, and query of large amounts of sensor and location data.
- Led building, testing, and release processes through several steps of development.
- Executed team management tasks, from task assignment to implementation of several work policies.
- Assumed recruiting and training responsibilities towards the new staff.
- Performed customer development, support, and management.
Co-founder | Technical Manager2015 - PRESENTSceelix
- Engaged in entrepreneurial activities and programs towards the creation of a new business.
- Developed a procedural generation system—allowing for the automated, rule-based production of 2D/3D content, with possible usage in games, simulations, media production, urban planning, and others.
- Implemented a core generation engine—featuring complex algorithms for data aggregation, geometric modeling, GIS data handling, image processing, and other operations.
- Developed a cross-platform desktop application: the Sceelix Designer; using .NET/Mono which features its own GUI system and 3D-rendering capabilities.
- Built a modular, decoupled, and extensible API for both the core and designer parts—allowing users to easily introduce new features.
- Implemented a Unity 3D plugin that introduced its direct connection with Sceelix—allowing instant data communication between the tools without the need for export formats.
- Developed a PHP back end for license activation and registration as well as other marketing and support activities.
- Integrated a back-end system with external payment APIs such as Gumroad and the Steam platform.
- Developed an automated-build, documentation generation, packaging, and distribution system for quick software updates.
- Assumed the recruiting and training responsibilities towards the new staff.
- Performed customer development, support, management, and self-studies.
- Proposed, supervised, and supported several research projects built on top of Sceelix.
- Led several talks and workshops for education, advertisement, and customer study purposes.
Unity Developer2019 - 2020Icon Interactive (via Toptal)
Technologies: Monogame, Unity3D, Imperative Programming, ReSharper, MeshLab, JetBrains Rider, Git, C#.NET, Computational Geometry, CSG, Unity, C++, C#
- Designed, implemented, tested and compared several geometric algorithms to extract visible and occluded surfaces from high detail 3D models.
- Adjusted algorithms to operate from several points of view, as well as to export the final results in OBJ format.
- Performed study and evaluation of several Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) approaches.
- Developed support tools and testbeds inside the Unity Editor for debugging and testing.
- Improved final algorithm performance by implementing it in a C++ library and integrating it as a native Unity plugin with a C# wrapper.
Procedural Generation Consultant2018 - 2020INESC TEC
Technologies: Paint.NET, GIS, QGIS, Unity3D, C#, Sceelix
- Provided tutorial and consultancy sessions on the Sceelix software and procedural general methodologies.
- Worked on GIS data specification and cleanup to achieve the necessary consistency.
- Created several graphs on Sceelix to define a procedural generation process to create a 3D Scene.
- Set up a lighting and post-processing environment within Unity and integrated the Sceelix output in an automated pipeline.
- Configured animated flybys for production of video and image captures.
Unity Senior Developer2019 - 2019Imbellus (via Toptal)
Technologies: Game Design, Imperative Programming, ReSharper, Shaders, JetBrains Rider, Procedural Generation, C#.NET, Git, Unity3D, C#
- Led study and evaluation of alternative Unity Rendering Pipelines for the developed product.
- Performed analysis and adjustments to migrate Standalone application to WebGL 2.0 and later WebGL 1.0 technologies, using Unity.
- Developed build-time algorithms to optimize the deployed size of Unity asset bundles.
- Introduced methods to improve loading and rendering performance through asset optimization and object batching.
- Engaged in post-processing shader development in the scope of several application workflows.
- Worked on procedural algorithms for generating custom layer information for 3D terrains.
- Developed Unity editor plug-ins to improve productivity and asset management.
Unity Environment Engineer2017 - 2018Dimension Science, Inc. (via Toptal)
Technologies: GIS, Imperative Programming, ReSharper, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Microsoft Visual Studio, Procedural Generation, Git, C#.NET, Sceelix, Unity3D, C#
- Developed a system for automatic/procedural generation of both fictitious and real-world 3D urban environments, with a particular focus on roads and traffic details for use in driving simulations.
- Built a plugin for Sceelix using C#, introducing several new procedural generation algorithms for geometric data creation, loading, manipulation, and serialization.
- Developed a semantic representation of 3D urban traffic features for supporting complex AI simulation.
- Created a Unity3D editor plugin and test environment for navigation and experimentation with the generated urban environments.
- Constructed an ASP.NET server that centralized the procedural generation process and provided easy delivery of 3D content directly to the Unity3D editor without the need for additional Sceelix installation on the user's side.
Researcher | Consultant2012 - 2013INESC TEC
Technologies: GIS, SQL, Imperative Programming, ReSharper, Notepad++, Microsoft Visual Studio, Procedural Generation, PostGIS, C#.NET, 3ds Max, C#
- Integrated manual and procedural 3D data sources into a single pipeline for visualization, animation, and testing.
- Coordinated and complemented human resources towards reporting and publishing tasks.
Invited Assistant Professor2012 - 2012University of Porto, Faculty of Arts
Technologies: SQL, ArcPy, ArcGIS, Python
- Taught a programming course for the master's program in geographical information systems and spatial planning.
- Introduced students to the Python programming language and to the ArcGIS library, ArcPy.
Intern Software Developer2012 - 2012Esri R&D Center–Zurich
Technologies: GIS, Imperative Programming, Procedural Generation, Subversion (SVN), Esri CityEngine, Eclipse RCP, Java
- Conducted research on a novel approach for visual editing of grammar-based rule sets for the procedural generation of 3D models.
- Designed the visual methodology, based on flow graphs, which greatly improved the user experience when defining procedural generation rules.
- Developed a plugin for the CityEngine software which was built upon the Eclipse Rich Client Platform.
- Implemented, as part of the plugin, a visual graph-based editor and a 3D visualizer of the results produced by the edited graphs.
Invited Assistant Professor2011 - 2012University of Porto, Faculty of Engineering
Technologies: MINIX, C++, C
- Taught C/C++ lab course in hardware interface and low-level embedded systems for the bachelor's degree program in informatics engineering.
- Taught a C++ course in advanced algorithms and data structures for the bachelor's degree program in informatics engineering.
Researcher | Consultant2010 - 2011INESC TEC
Technologies: GIS, SQL, Imperative Programming, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), PL/pgSQL, Microsoft Visual Studio, Procedural Generation, Subversion (SVN), PostGIS, PostgreSQL, XNA, C#
- Designed a PostgreSQL/PostGIS solution that operated directly on its contained geographic data to produce 3D information.
- Developed a fast procedural generation framework capable of enforcing a series of production rules on geographic input data.
- Built a geometric modeling kernel for the execution of 3D creation and manipulation functions on urban data.
- Implemented a graphical application for the progressive loading, navigation, and visualization of large-scale 3D urban environments.
- Conceived a multi-user collaborative solution for parametric editing of 3D urban elements.
- Contributed to the export and integration of the produced 3D data into popular simulation platforms, such as OpenSim and Second Life.