Verified Expert in Engineering
Database Engineer and Developer
Peter is a seasoned data platform expert specializing in the Microsoft stack, including Azure. With skills ranging from data architecture and engineering to database administration and development, his 29 years of experience, multiple certifications, and passion for learning set him apart in addressing clients' diverse data requirements. Most recently, Peter helped a growing company migrate their on-premise data and AI estate into Azure as part of an ERP migration to Microsoft Dynamics 365.
SQL Server BI, Azure, Database Design, Data Engineering, Data Warehousing, Azure Data Lake, Windows PowerShell, SQL, Azure Synapse, Data Architecture
The most amazing...
...project I've done is migrate a complex data and AI estate to Microsoft Azure cloud for CRB Group, optimizing the data flows for their Azure SQL Data Warehouse.
President | Principal Engineer | Data Architect
- Founded the consulting company and provided consulting services to clients since 2007.
- Designed and developed numerous databases, primarily tailored for Microsoft SQL Server.
- Performed database administration tasks for numerous clients using Microsoft SQL Server.
Senior Data Architect | Consultant
- Migrated the company's data architecture to Azure using Azure SQL, Synapse, Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2, and Azure Data Factory, optimizing Microsoft Dynamics 365 data ingestion, Azure SQL Data Warehouse (SQL DW) loading, and Power BI consumption.
- Implemented ingestion processes from Microsoft Dynamics 365 into a data lake using Azure Synapse Link and Export, enabling data analysts to utilize familiar Synapse serverless views and external tables for streamlined data warehouse ETL.
- Migrated Azure subscriptions to a new Azure Active Directory tenant. By changing the tenant on existing subscriptions instead of relocating resources, CRB saved significant time and costs, totaling hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars.
- Provided individual mentoring to fellow data team members and facilitated Azure data exploration meetings. Fostering team growth contributed to CRB's ability to meet the demands of a growing business.
- Implemented database, Synapse source control, and CI/CD processes using Azure DevOps. This streamlined a dependable change management system for CRB's data and AI infrastructure, enabling multiple engineers and analysts to collaborate seamlessly.
- Stabilized and managed CRB's SQL Server estate and implemented Redgate SQL for monitoring. Transitioning from constant troubleshooting to a robust data environment enabled CRB's data team to concentrate on delivering new business value.
- Created a PowerShell utility to export files stored in an SQL Server database to a file system (shares) where they could be archived and shared.
- Developed PowerShell tools to facilitate migrating SQL Server databases to new servers in a new AD domain.
Development Database Administrator | Database Administrator Consultant | Data Architect
- Designed and built many SQL Server databases to complement software development initiatives, supporting InComm's foundational operations and growing business endeavors. Many of these applications continue to operate in production.
- Designed and implemented database source control, change management, and deployment processes, giving InComm confidence in deploying their applications and associated database changes to production.
- Facilitated meetings between operations and development database administrator (DBA) teams, helping to break down silos and encourage more collaboration between teams.
- Aided multiple software development teams by reviewing database designs and SQL migration scripts to support their development processes.
- Implemented replication for numerous SQL Server databases. Often, this was used to isolate reporting from a replicated copy of a production DB, reducing the impact of reporting queries from the production databases.
- Triaged production database issues to help InComm resolve problems quickly and efficiently.
Data Architect | Database Administrator Consultant
- Managed SQL Servers and databases to facilitate a gift card purchasing system initiated by Alula, a pilot venture of Coinstar. These SQL Server instances were hosted on AWS Windows virtual machines.
- Designed and developed the SQL Server databases to support the gift card purchasing system.
- Designed and implemented data architecture to facilitate reporting isolation using SQL Server replication.
Data Architect | Data Engineer | Consultant
- Designed and implemented a data warehouse to support a service call reporting solution, which helped its client, Comcast, reduce in-person service visits by 15%.
- Developed ETL to bring Comcast service call data from various sources, predominantly Oracle, into an SQL Server data warehouse.
- Created custom, metadata-driven SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) tasks to make ETL processes more flexible, efficient, and extensible.
Senior Database Administrator | Data Architect | BI Architect
- Evolved a rudimentary supply chain integration tool into SSIS, providing a more reliable and better-monitored system.
- Assisted the other DBA in day-to-day SQL Server administrative tasks.
- Developed Statera's BI practice and industry metric inventory documentation.
Senior Development Database Administrator
- Implemented database source control at eCollege, aiding developers in effectively managing programmable objects and schema migrations.
- Developed a database to support Sharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) technologies.
- Supported the management of development and test SQL Servers for various development teams.
Database Administrator | Data Architect
Cendant Travel Services
- Supported both the production and development of SQL Servers for multiple teams.
- Implemented Cendant's first SQL Server clusters, significantly enhancing their availability and reliability.
- Developed software architectures for accessing the data tier database.
Software Engineer | Database Administrator | Database Developer
School Link Technologies
- Designed and developed SQL Server databases to support myLunchMoney.com website.
- Developed migration tools to help customers migrate from Microsoft Access to Microsoft SQL Server.
- Developed database migration tools to ensure the dependable installation and updates of customer databases at School Link Technologies. The software verified database versions for compatibility, ensuring seamless operation.
Software Developer | Data Warehouse Developer
- Created an ETL process to load network monitoring data into a data warehouse.
- Used Perl to convert SQL results into HTML tables on web pages.
- Developed SQL reports for the network monitoring data.
Tsunami Consulting | CSC | BLM
- Oversaw the development and testing of databases and their servers.
- Co-developed KornShell-based database patching tools.
- Optimized SQL performance for software developers and fellow database administrators.
- Developed Visual Basic (VB) software that enabled customer service representatives to load images of Yellow Pages contracts when receiving customer calls.
- Created software to scan Yellow Pages contracts, save the images, and store them in a central location for easy retrieval.
- Established a standardized language for contract document metadata.
Lotus Notes Developer and Administrator
Grey Wolf Systems
- Managed Lotus Notes infrastructure for various clients.
- Developed custom Lotus Notes applications for clients.
- Evolved the company's Lotus Notes practice through certifications.
New Data Warehouse Architecture
Data Factory Metadata-driven ETL
Synapse Link and Export to a Data Lake
Document Export Utility
Azure Subscription Migration to a Different Tenant
Database Design, Database Development
SQL Server DBA, Database Modeling, Microsoft SQL Server, Azure SQL, Azure Cosmos DB, SQL Server 2010, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), SQL Server 2000, Sybase, IBM Informix, SQL Server 2017, MySQL, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), Database Replication
Data Architecture, Data Modeling, Data Engineering, Data Warehousing, Azure Data Lake, Azure Data Factory, Azure Synapse, Engineering, Oracle8i, Unix Shell Scripting, Delta Lake, Dynamics CRM 365
SQL, Python, C#.NET, Visual Basic 6 (VB6), C++, HTML, Perl, Visual Basic
SQL Server BI, Synapse, Microsoft Visual C++, Lotus Notes, Microsoft Power BI
Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace Engineering
University of Colorado - Boulder, Colorado, United States
Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Fundamentals
Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals
Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist: SQL Server 2005