Associate Editor, Toptal Finance Blog
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Supporting the editors of the Toptal Finance Blog, you will help us continue to grow as a world-class English-language publication for top finance experts and their clients. Reporting to the Finance Blog’s Lead Editor, you will be working closely with editors and authors alike to help meet deadlines, craft effective article metadata, and perform article quality control.
You will offer project management, research, and editorial support to keep our editing pipeline rolling by facilitating prioritization, communicating actively with internal and external collaborators, and getting all the details perfect. This includes crafting small amounts of copy yourself, and frictionlessly adding important details to articles written by others.
All aspects of a new article must conform to specific, high standards. Stellar writing abilities, ambition, a collaborative spirit, and drive are requirements for this position.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Attend regular meetings for editors and writers to help prioritize individual workflows and balance team tasks.
- Ensure editors follow the editorial processes of the Toptal Finance Blog and wider Toptal Publications team to develop, publish, and distribute content in a timely manner.
- Follow up with editors, authors, copyeditors, editorial assistants, illustrators, expert reviewers, social media team, and Lead Editor as needed to maintain momentum on every article and ensure all checklist details are completed.
- Document the current status of each article to help maintain visibility to key stakeholders and to gather data to help improve internal processes.
- Support authors and editors by conducting research to provide best sources for hyperlinks (statistics, news articles, reports, etc.) and editorial illustrations/charts for use in articles.
- Research possible areas of interest for Finance Blog coverage and help with ideation.
- Write accurate metadata summarizing and highlighting key article features for different social media audiences,customizing to each context’s special requirements.
- Be a helpful second reader/proofreader to support articles in development as needed.
- Write accessible, accurate, and helpful text to describe images for those who cannot see them.
- Introduce new authors to our processes, answer their questions, and maintain a positive relationship with them throughout their collaboration with the Toptal Finance Blog.
- Represent Toptal Publications at network welcome events by answering questions and encouraging participation.
- Assist with other team and Toptal Publications projects as needed.
In the first week, expect to:
- Learn about Toptal’s Finance Blog offerings and get a sense of the voice of the publication.
- Onboard to the Publications team by meeting with team members and learning about what they do.
- Learn the publishing process and associated tools.
In the first month, expect to:
- Become familiar with what an A+ article looks like, and develop personal habits and processes to ensure that all pieces to be published will achieve this standard.
- Adapt to cadence of and become a regular contributor at team meetings.
- Write metadata and image descriptions.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Coordinate with contributors to help maintain pipeline priorities and momentum using a professional and helpful communication style.
- Help the team balance large numbers of simultaneous editing assignments.
- Be a helpful second reader/proofreader for articles in development as needed.
- Develop proficiency in using the CMS and in editorial processes.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Collaborate with peers on the Publications team to contribute ideas for process improvement as needed.
- Develop increased knowledge and awareness of finance and trending financial topics.
- Seek out expert contributors from the talent network to ensure impeccable article quality on the Toptal Finance Blog.
In the first year, expect to:
- Work to improve the quality and impact of the publication via partnerships and assets across Toptal (PR, events, community, etc.).
- Continually raise the bar and contribute new ideas for elevating the expertise of Toptal’s network talent.
- Act on feedback to help ensure writers enjoy working with Toptal Publications and are proud of the end result.
- Strict attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially in a project management context.
- Ability to work under pressure when needed, keeping priorities balanced and delivering on time without missing any best practices along the way.
- Self-starter who is a “power user” when it comes to using common web-based tools, and more than comfortable learning new ones as needed.
- Demonstrated writing and editing experience, especially some with a focus on finance and related topics. (Samples welcome.)
- Meticulous about implementing and enforcing processes. Strong understanding of workflows.
- Devotion to accuracy with a good eye for consistency.
- An exceptional eye for quality and a relentless drive to improve anything that falls below your standards or Toptal’s standards.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
- Bonus: Finance subject area experience can be helpful in working with the content we produce.