Design Blog Editor
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is looking for a full-time Editor to edit, curate, and write high-quality articles about design. We’re an elite network of the world’s top talent in business, design, and technology! Our Publications team publishes an extensive collection of articles and other content to help people navigate the present and future of work.
The Toptal Design Blog is a hub for sophisticated design studies by professional designers in the Toptal network on all facets of digital design, ranging from detailed design tutorials to in-depth coverage of new design trends, tools, and techniques. Our design publication is an opportunity for Toptal network talent to share their expertise with a broad audience as thought leaders. We publish high-quality, outstanding articles that cover many different design fields.
The Editor will team up with Toptal’s network of specialists to edit in-depth, thought-leading articles on design tools, methodologies, tutorials, case studies, and significant trends in the world of design. The role reports to the section’s Lead Editor.
The special hybrid role requires professional editing experience plus either direct experience with design or editorial expertise within the design subject area. Potential candidates include designers with professional editing experience or editors who have written about or edited relevant content. This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English. We are unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
Since the position is fully remote and can be done from anywhere, candidates must be focused and driven to work independently while meeting deadlines for our fast-growing company!
Work closely with members of Toptal’s talent network to publish detailed articles on the most important trends in design, including tools, techniques, tutorials, and case studies.
Ensure that all articles published are of the highest quality in terms of content, accuracy, clarity, relevance, credibility, and storytelling. Keep up with industry trends, publishing analysis on important developments, and pitching story ideas after reviewing other published articles. Showcase the expertise of thought leaders from the design field by editing educational studies for an audience of top designers.
Work with our in-house illustrators and select high-quality imagery to ensure articles feature compelling visuals.
Collaborate with other Toptal editors on special projects to achieve team objectives and key results.
- The ideal candidate has at least three years of experience as a professional editor for an English-language publication.
- Direct experience working in or writing about design OR extensive experience working on product designs in a cross-functional environment alongside other team members.
- Must have a strong portfolio of studies related to digital design (for example, pieces on design theory, conceptual design explorations, or practical guides on some aspect of design).
- Knowledge of important events and trends in the design space.
- Dedication to written accuracy and precision and the highest quality standards.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and deliver quality in a fast-paced editorial environment.
- Must have exceptional attention to detail.
- Experience interviewing subject matter experts.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- A degree in Journalism, English, Communications or Writing is preferred.
- Experience as a Designer is helpful.
- Must be an independent self-starter who can get the job done with limited guidance.
- Must be able to collaborate with other team members, accept constructive feedback, and follow editorial guidelines by the team lead.
- Be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.
In the first week, expect to:
- Learn about Toptal’s Design offering.
- Onboard onto the Publications Team by meeting your co-workers and working closely with the suite of resources.
- Learn the publishing process and tools.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work with top design professionals from around the world to publish in-depth research on the most important concepts, trends, tutorials, and case studies.
- Work with professionals across a variety of fields to showcase their expertise through educational studies (practical, theoretical, and/or conceptual), designed for an audience of other top design specialists.
- Ensure that all your Toptal articles meet the A+ level of quality.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Work with your Lead Editor on improving article breadth, depth, and quality.
- Keep up with groundbreaking industry trends, publishing analysis on important developments, and pitching story ideas after reviewing other published articles.
- Provide new ideas to the publication team to raise the bar and help achieve objectives and key results.