Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As Toptal’s Editor in Chief, you will be responsible for defining excellence across all Toptal publications including the Toptal Engineering Blog, Toptal Design Blog, Toptal Finance Blog, and future business-oriented and thought leadership publications on the Toptal site. You will be defining and maintaining editorial quality standards across all publications, ensuring that every single article published is A+ and something of which we are extremely proud. You will work closely with teams across Toptal and the editors for each publication to create and execute the strategic and creative direction of all Toptal publications. You will also work to build new publications from the ground up and scale them.
This role is a near-unlimited creative license to create thought-leading studies for Toptal’s 200,000+ subscribers on subjects that you find compelling across tech, software engineering, design, finance, entrepreneurship, business, and more.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Define what content excellence means at Toptal and ensure that every single article published on Toptal.com meets this quality bar.
- Ensure that every single article published has an overwhelmingly compelling reason it needs to be published, read, and understood by its target audience.
- Work with editors across each publication on the “packaging” (introduction, conclusion, organization, visuals, etc.) of every article as needed until it meets the A+ quality bar.
- Work with the lead editors of each Toptal publication to build, refine, and scale the editorial processes necessary to support the conception and execution of a consistent pipeline of high-quality studies across the domains of software engineering, design, business, and more.
- Direct the strategic and creative direction of all Toptal publications, with guidance from the lead editors for each publication.
- Stay up-to-date with relevant news and rising trends in software engineering, design, finance, entrepreneurship, business, etc., and incorporate these events into the creative direction of Toptal publications in a timely and strategic manner.
- Work with a team of designers and illustrators to define visual communication standards and ensure all visuals reflect clear, concise thinking and convey significant value to the reader.
- Analyze the performance of historic and newly published articles across key metrics and use the insights to guide future creative direction.
- Take ownership of growing Toptal’s readership, targeting all published pieces to an audience of smart, educated, and driven readers.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to the team on strategy.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- 2+ years of experience writing as an individual contributor in an academic or research setting is preferred.
- A background as a writer or editor at a top publication is preferred, with strong preference for publications that have a focus on the tech industry and startup space.
- Experience with software engineering, design, startups, or the tech industry is preferred.
- You must have strong experience with thesis-centered writing and written analysis.
- You must be exceptionally creative, with a strong knack for creating clever, compelling material for an intelligent audience.
- You must be highly motivated by the prospect of building new publications from scratch and scaling them.
- You must have an outstanding eye for quality and an absolute unwillingness to compromise on your standards for an A+ article.
- Ability to clearly understand and communicate how subpar work should be improved.
- Exceptional clarity of thought in communication and analysis.
- You must be a relentless, creative problem solver.
- You must have outstanding written and verbal communications skills, as well as perfect grammar and command of the English language.
- You must be open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's co-founder and COO, Breanden drives Toptal's growth by building world-class teams and operational infrastructure spanning 40+ countries to meet the talent needs of Toptal's 10,000+ clients. As a frequent writer, Breanden has published articles on leadership of distributed teams and hypergrowth company culture. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, talent, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales. Breanden has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University.
- As Toptal’s Director of Operations, Dror works with teams across the company to build their strategic direction, execution frameworks, KPIs/analytics, and team structures, helping Toptal teams evolve to support and drive Toptal’s continued growth. Dror leverages in-depth experience working within a range of Toptal’s operational teams to ensure best practices are surfaced, adopted, and evolved across the company. Dror has a BSE in Chemical and Biological Engineering and a minor in Computer Science from Princeton University.