Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company with a strong focus on sustaining a world-class remote work environment for all employees and contractors globally.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As Toptal’s Editor-in-Chief, you will be responsible for managing, leading, and defining excellence across all Toptal publications, and scaling these world-class publications as we grow. This exciting role combines the Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor roles into one, which truly allows this person to craft and shape the Publications strategy and quality execution for Toptal. You will help to establish how our brand is perceived as a thought leader in the industry.
Today we have 6 publications and 1 Talent Economy podcast, but that will continue to expand over the next few years. Our current blogs include vertical specific blogs (from engineering to design to finance) and thought leadership content experiences centered around the future of work that aim to challenge and upset the status quo.
You will be defining and maintaining editorial quality standards across all publications and podcasts, ensuring that every single article and interview published is A+ and something of which we are extremely proud. You will work closely with multiple teams across Toptal while leading the editorial strategists, writers, and editors for each publication to create and execute the strategic and creative direction of all Toptal publications. You will also work to build new vertical and thought leadership publications from the ground up and scale them.
This role allows for the creative license to establish Toptal as a thought leader to millions of monthly readers and over 600k+ subscribers, across subjects ranging from tech, design, entrepreneurship, the future of work, and more.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will champion all Toptal Publications and work directly with the team to create and implement the Publications team strategy.
You will define and implement what content excellence means at Toptal, ensuring that every single article published on Toptal.com meets this quality bar. Moreover, you will ensure that every single article published has an overwhelmingly compelling reason that pertains to establishing Toptal as an expert for our target audiences.
You will work directly with a team of editors across the publication cycle, to set and support a target publishing cadence, while ensuring that every article meets the A+ quality bar. You will also work with the lead editors of each Toptal publication to build, refine, and scale the editorial processes necessary to support the conception and execution of a consistent pipeline, while pushing the boundaries of creativity and distribution. Ultimately, you will set the strategic and creative direction of all Toptal Publications, with guidance from the lead editors for each publication.
In order to stay on the cutting edge, you will actively keep a pulse of relevant news and rising trends in software engineering, design, entrepreneurship, business, etc., and incorporate these events into the creative direction of Toptal Publications in a timely and strategic manner. You will work cross-functionally with teams not limited to Design, Growth, Enterprise, Events, Communications, and Social to establish communication standards and actively support projects that enable Toptal to establish our expertise while supporting our talent and client bases.
You will work to analyze the performance of historic and newly published articles across key metrics and use these insights to guide future creative direction. Additionally, you will work with our SEO and distribution managers to tailor our efforts to continuously scale the impact of our Publications team, by growing our large readership of smart, educated, and driven individuals.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Start to meet with the Publications leadership team - Editorial Strategist Lead, Lead Writer, Lead Editor, and Operations.
- Understand the fundamentals of Toptal, its Publications team, and what sets us apart.
- Onboard onto the Publications team by working closely with the suite of resources available to you.
- Gain a deep understanding of the roles and priorities of the team and key stakeholders.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work with editors across the blogs to deeply understand what an A+ Toptal article looks like and establish processes for ensuring top quality articles.
- Work with lead editors to understand and optimize the audience and publishing process for each publication.
- Work with the team to analyze and understand the function’s key KPIs, along with how these are monitored and impacted.
- Integrate yourself into the Marketing team.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Work closely with other teams across the company (PR, Events, Growth, Enterprise,Social, etc.) to establish new long-term initiatives to scale the impact of all teams.
- Work directly with our SEO team and distribution lead to scale our readership through targeted initiatives.
- Stay on the cutting-edge of industry trends, publishing analysis on important developments and providing intelligence to the Toptal team by reviewing relevant articles published by competitors and media outlets in the space.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Be fully immersed and familiar with all Toptal processes and tools.
- Scale by onboarding additional Editors to build up the cadence and visibility of the publications.
- Launch and scale additional publications to support new functions at the company.
In the first year, expect to:
- Run and continuously scale full-fledged publications, consistently working to improve the quality and impact of each publication.
- Be seen as an expert at the company for all things related to Publications, including the team’s structure, processes, resources, KPIs, and initiatives.
- Significantly scale both the team and work output.
- You must have an outstanding eye for quality and an absolute unwillingness to compromise on your standards for an A+ article.
- Experience in a writing or research setting is a must.
- Experience with hiring, managing, leading, and inspiring teams to create a collaborative culture, set the bar around expectations, and drive continuous creativity and innovative thinking is mandatory.
- Experience in scaling operations in a rapidly evolving environment.
- A background as a writer and/or editor at a top publication is preferred. Examples include McKinsey Quarterly, Bloomberg, or The Wall Street Journal.
- Experience with the tech industry is preferred.
- You must be an excellent leader with an exceptional ability to explain complex concepts clearly while dealing with multiple projects and priorities.
- You must be exceptionally creative, with a strong knack for creating clever, compelling material for an intelligent audience.
- You must be highly motivated by the prospect of building new publications from scratch and scaling them.
- You must have the ability to clearly understand and communicate how subpar work should be improved.
- You must be a relentless, creative problem solver.
- While a technical background is not required, you must be able to work with data and quantitative approaches for decision making.
- You must be open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.