Manager, Market Research & Competitive Insights
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is looking for a Manager of Market Research and Competitive Insights to join our Marketing Insights team. The ideal candidate will lead a holistic approach to competitive market research that includes not only primary survey based research, but also augmenting it with data from other sources such as social listening, news and industry trends to name a few. We are looking for someone with a strong foundation in qualitative and quantitative market research along with the ability and desire to expand beyond it. This person has the curiosity, work ethic, and experience that allows them to take business questions from stakeholders and translate them into research methodologies and briefs and provide insights that drive decisions.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Partner with marketing leadership team to understand business questions that can be answered through market research.
- Propose appropriate market research methodologies that most effectively provide insights that drive marketing strategy.
- Own end-to-end execution of brand health trackers and ad-hoc studies, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Communicate research findings to the Marketing team, other business functions and the executive team.
- Leverage other data sources to augment findings from market research such as social listening, news and industry trends and reports to provide comprehensive insights.
- Partner with Brand and Paid Media team on running brand lift studies on various ad platforms when appropriate.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Become acquainted with the teams, product, and business operations.
- Familiarize yourself with market research already conducted.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work closely with various stakeholders within marketing on identifying open questions that can be answered with market research.
- Prioritize and propose studies that will drive impactful marketing decisions.
- Get familiar with social listening and other tools if you do not have prior hand-on experience.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Start establishing yourself as the go-to resource for all questions related to understanding Toptal’s client and talent personas and competitors.
- Have a well-defined roadmap of periodic and ad-hoc studies that help drive marketing strategy.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Establish a steady cadence of impactful market research insights that are shared across the marketing team and Toptal leadership.
- Develop a strong understanding of Toptal’s client and talent personas and competitive landscape that enables you to provide powerful, actionable recommendations that drive marketing strategy including messaging and targeting.
- 5-7 years of experience in Market Research - Qualitative and Quantitative at a brand or research agency.
- Experience running market research end-to-end from understanding research objectives, selecting the appropriate methodology, managing research vendors and sharing insights with stakeholders and executive team.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, analytics, business, liberal arts or related field.
- Experience in brand tracking, ad effectiveness measurement, focus groups, in-depth interviews and copy testing desirable.
- Ability to understand business objectives and identify opportunities to apply market research methodologies to drive decisions to achieve them.
- Ability to work with senior leaders and stakeholders with a broad range of business objectives and questions and translate them into actionable market research proposals.
- Desire and ability to work beyond traditional market research including Social listening, news monitoring and competitive analysis to produce multi-faceted, comprehensive perspectives on Toptal’s client and talent personas and competitors.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.