Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Are you a results-oriented People professional with a consistent history of driving impact in a fast-paced, rapidly-scaling environment? This role will provide hands-on and strategic support to managers and team members to cultivate an engaging, innovative, and hard-working environment. We will think big, utilize data to guide your work, be open to challenging convention, and when essential, reinvent how work is done. The ideal individual for the role is knowledgeable in multiple human resources fields including but not limited to: employee relations, company culture, management coaching, and engagement. To be successful in this role, you should excel in a fast-paced environment and be comfortable with change and the ambiguity that sometimes comes with it. You need to be enthusiastic, flexible in your approach, and open to learning.
Our name “Toptal” comes from Top Talent — meaning we constantly strive to find and work alongside the best from around the world. We’ve scaled faster than any other talent company in history through our steadfast dedication toward innovation and strong execution. Our outstanding success comes from adopting a strong work ethic, a mentality of diligence, and a long-term vision. Many companies hire solely based on hard skills. At Toptal, we demand the best. Attitude is everything — it’s core to our success.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere in the EST time zone. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work to resolve team member and organizational issues in an open, fair, proactive, thoughtful, and positive manner in line with our values, policies, and appropriate local laws.
- Partner with the People team, Business Managers and Leaders, and Legal if necessary, while dealing with complex situations and making recommendations on appropriate courses of action while assessing levels of complexity, risk, sensitivity, and confidentiality.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to managers related to performance, conflict resolution, and terminations.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to team members on how to communicate effectively in the remote environment and work through organizational issues.
- Mentor managers to become effective leaders, navigate and resolve teammate’s issues or manage programs that help develop and grow our people.
- Leverage your talents at putting the people first, and being as transparent as possible in helping others understand how People decisions are made.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to recognize the needs of our teammates and deliver programs that cultivate a diverse culture that engages employees, inspires innovation, and is community-focused.
- Act as a change agent as the business continues to reshape itself with the goal of providing a world class employee experience.
- Partner with and between our Executive and Senior Leadership Teams to deliver seamless team member success processes and programs across the organization.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of the talent industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
- Shadow People partners to understand the Toptal approach to guidance and feedback.
In the first month, expect to:
- Begin to meet with team members in a variety of 1:1 meetings.
- Shadow critical teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
- Attend department meetings to be cognizant of the culture and challenges of specific departments.
- Review survey feedback to identify themes across departments.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Conduct regular check-ins with new hires and longer-term team members.
- Conduct exit interviews as needed.
- Partner with leaders across the business on survey feedback and assist in developing action plans.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Work directly with Business Leaders on identifying high potential performers and conduct succession planning initiatives.
- Work with the Analytics team to identify trends in hiring backgrounds and performance scores to identify the ideal person for every role.
- 5-7 years of Employee Relations and/or HR Business Partner experience in an upbeat environment passionate about employee relations, coaching, mentoring, and performance management.
- We have a strong preference for prior work in a tech start-up or hyper-growth environment, where business priorities shift and require both mental flexibility and an openness to change.
- Strong business orientation coupled with a genuine desire to promote a fair and positive work environment for all employees.
- Must be highly comfortable with ambiguity and constant change.
- Able to handle confidential information in a mature and professional manner.
- Significant experience with HR management in a high-paced, data-informed, hyper-growth technology work environment, including considerable familiarity with best-in-class practices.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.