Senior IT Ops Support Engineer
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As an IT Operations Support Engineer, you will be responsible for providing and maintaining access to services, applications, and corporate technologies. You will be accountable for company-wide technical on-boarding and off-boarding processes. This role includes administration of credentials, preparation of technical documentation, and auditing. Your natural ability to be resourceful is essential as you will continuously look for opportunities to make improvements and deliver value to the organization as a whole.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
As a member of the ITOps team, you will participate in the new hire process for each newly hired employee. You will work closely with our People team and support the on- and off-boarding activities of our team members. The ITOps engineer acts as a central point of contact for resolving user management and access requests and provides support mostly related to reported issues with the company tools and user roles. This includes supporting engineering teams in carrying out actions that require increased privileges that they might otherwise lack, as well as general questions about the use of certain software. You will research and implement innovative, creative and, if possible, automated approaches to repetitive tasks.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Learn about Toptal’s company-wide tools and systems.
In the first month, expect to:
- Streamline processes for onboarding and offboarding.
- Streamline processes for managing technical tool data including documentation.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Work closely with the People team and the other ITOps team members.
- Be able to resolve user management and access requests.
- Have a clear overview of the company structure.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Develop and communicate processes and protocols for company-wide tools.
- Manage the onboarding of tools and creation of accounts.
In the first year, expect to:
- Provide IT support, often related to issues with access to the company tools and user roles.
- Manage access to the company services and tools.
- Strong knowledge of remote troubleshooting multiple OS (Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.).
- Strong knowledge of G-Suite/Slack/Jira administration.
- Strong knowledge of Network and Credential management (VPN, Cloud-based Password Managers).
- Strong knowledge of how browsers work (cookies, sessions, extensions) - the majority of the tools we use are web-based.
- Proficient in Writing Technical Documentation (JIRA/Confluence or Wiki).
- Basic knowledge of Linux distributions administration CENTOS/RHEL.
- Basic knowledge of Cloud providers administration (AWS/GCP).
- Familiar with infra/engineering tools (Git, Newrelic, Rollbar, etc.).
- Familiar with network services (DNS, DHCP, SMTP, SFTP, SSH, Telnet, etc.).
- Familiar with security tools such as OpenVAS, Nessus, etc. is a plus.
- Experience supporting users in a global environment and varying time zones.
- Creative person, out of the box approach, willing to adapt and learn, technically oriented, and focused on results.
- Must be comfortable with working under pressure and adhering to deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Must have the ability to communicate with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- Must have outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a self-starter who can define strategy and execute with limited guidance.
- Must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.