2013 - PRESENT
First Gleneden Advisors LLC
- Improved an early stage company’s balance sheet and reduced the on-going cash burn with a $36 million debt-for-asset swap.
- Delivered a $25 million tax credit transaction to fund an expansion of a renewable materials facility.
- Introduced principal accounting and financial processes to construct, support, and operate a $30+ million liquefied natural gas plant in the North Dakota Bakken oilfield.
- Generated baseline budget and accounting systems for a private equity-backed, $60+ million revenue oilfield pre-set surface drilling, construction, and trucking company.
Focus areas: Finance Strategy, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Investor Decks, Investment Summaries, Capital Raising, Budgeting, Business Plan Development, Investment Memoranda, Investor Communications, Cash Flows, Debt, Valuation, Equity Financing, Equity Valuation, Three Statement Operating Model, Financial Modeling, Transaction Modeling, Transaction Structuring, CFO, Capital Investment Appraisals, Project Finance, Private Equity Secondaries, Private Equity
Vice President Finance
2015 - 2017
- Optimized a $20 million transaction for a private equity investor using interactive forecasts and a proprietary equity structure.
- Contributed to successful relationships with the customer base of Flint Hills Resources, Suncor, and Itochu leading to $10+ million in bridge financings.
- Improved the standardized financial models to ensure data and analytical consistency, data integrity, and accessibility in order to streamline investor due diligence.
Focus areas: Growth Capital Raising, Cash Flow Forecasting, Budgeting, Investor Decks, Investment Summaries, Project Finance, Financial Modeling, CFO, Investor Communications, Debt, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Equity Financing, Three Statement Operating Model, Valuation Modeling, Capital Raising, Equity Valuation, Private Equity, Private Equity Secondaries, Finance Strategy, Capital Structure, Cash Flow Calculation, Capital Structure Analysis
Chief Financial Officer
2007 - 2013
- Maximized a $232 million USDA loan guarantee to develop a 25 million GPY commercial facility.
- Sold a $43 million tax credit transaction with additional funding to construct a 250,000 GPY demonstration plant and development facility.
- Achieved a $5 million joint development agreement with Proctor & Gamble to advance the development of a new renewable chemical production platform for superabsorbents and other related product inputs.
- Was awarded $25 million US Department of Energy and $40 million US Department of Agriculture USDA grants to develop and construct a demonstration-scale renewable fuels facility and supporting feedstock infrastructure.
- Added Valero as the first strategic investor to produce biofuels to satisfy Valero's RFS renewable fuel obligations.
- Exceeded $30 million of follow-on investments from existing investors by clarifying the strategy and demonstrating viability.
- Developed a rental asset strategy that generated revenue of $500,000 per month from demonstration plant operations.
- Applied Lean methodologies to implement accounting and business infrastructure to produce unqualified annual GAAP audits and pass on-going DCAA audits.
- Improved data integrity and consistency with the introduction of SEC compliant processes and systems in preparation for an IPO.
- Built up the finance and accounting team from 1 person to 10 people to support a potential IPO.
Focus areas: Investor Decks, Cash Flow Forecasting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Modeling, Budgeting, Budget Controls, Capital Raising, Valuation Modeling, 409A Valuation, Fundraising, Equity Financing, Equity Valuation, Private Equity, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Cash Flows, CFO, Investment Summaries, Investor Communications, Investment Memoranda, Debt, Business Plan Development, Pitch Deck Financials, Convertible Debt, Venture Funding, Capital Structure Analysis, Finance Strategy, Capital Structure, Three Statement Operating Model, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Audit Management, Grant Writing, Growth Capital Raising
Vice President, Strategic Planning and Analysis
2005 - 2007
Evergreen Energy, Inc.
- Arranged multiple public market financings—resulting in $250+ million raised to build a demonstration plant and to advance commercial projects.
- Negotiated and structured $1+ billion in project financing for up to 4 processing facilities.
- Increased the stock price by 50% with recommendations to the management and board on how to interpret and incorporate equity trading intelligence, feedback, and commentary into the business.
- Delivered more consistent operations and a major reduction in downtime for plant operations performing extensive operational and financial analysis.
- Contributed to acquisitions through the development and maintenance of interactive financial models used to evaluate business opportunities—including the $40+ million purchase of a coal mine.
Focus areas: Strategic Finance Management, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Fundraising, Cash Flow Forecasting, Investor Decks, Investor Communications, Growth Capital Raising, Equity Financing, Equity Valuation, Private Equity, Debt, Investment Summaries, Investment Memoranda, Budgeting, Financial Modeling, Valuation Modeling, Transaction Modeling, Transaction Structuring, Pitch Deck Financials, Business Plan Development, Corporate Finance, Three Statement Operating Model, Operational Finance, Financial Overviews, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Cash Flows, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Balance Sheets, P&L Forecasting, Project Finance, Valuation, Valuation Multiples, Variance Analysis
Vice President, Equity Research
1998 - 2005
Stifel, Nicolaus & Company, Inc.
- Recognized as an All-Star Equity Analyst by the Wall Street Journal (1998, 2001).
- Sold more than $750 million in equity offerings for coverage universe as a result of being named co-manager on deals.
- Delivered trading revenues and consistently finished in the top third of the department.
- Generated shareholder value by critiquing and advocating asset rationalization strategies such as H&P’s $500 million equity portfolio divestiture and redeployment into its innovative FlexRigs.
Focus areas: Financial Modeling, Investor Communications, Capital Raising, Capital Structure Analysis, Capital Investment Appraisals, Investor Decks, Investment Summaries, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Valuation Modeling, Comparable Company Analysis, Equity Research, Equity Valuation, Debt, Due Dilligence, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Convertible Debt, Data Analysis, Balance Sheets, Cash Flows, Cash Flow Calculation, Equity Financing, Cash Flow Forecasting, Fundraising, Growth Capital Raising, Investment Memoranda, Market Research, Transaction Modeling, Ratio Analysis, Return Analysis, Capital Structure, Three Statement Operating Model
Vice President, Equity Research
1996 - 1998
Rodman & Renshaw
- Maximized a 3-million share equity offering as co-lead for a seismic equipment rental company that grossed $21 million.
- Built detailed models and wrote research reports covering company and industry fundamentals.
- Provided incremental investment information to institutional buy-side clients—generating trading revenues.
Focus areas: Valuation Modeling, Financial Modeling, Three Statement Operating Model, Investor Decks, Investment Summaries, Investor Communications, Equity Research, Equity Valuation, Equity Financing, Ratio Analysis, Balance Sheets, Cash Flow Calculation, Comparable Company Analysis, Debt, Due Dilligence, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Data Analysis, Fundraising, Growth Capital Raising, Investment Memoranda, Market Research, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Return Analysis, Capital Structure, Transaction Modeling