2001 - PRESENT
- Founded Firmus Consulting, delivering advice to private firms and government agencies. In 2021, the firm directly executed appraisals worth US$4 billion.
- Served as an outsourced CFO and board member for a UK oil-and-gas startup in Latin America that achieved annual sales of up to US$10 million; also participated in the winning bid preparation.
- Directed and supervised the valuation of nine sugar mills in Mexico worth US$500 million that were later sold to the private sector. The effort involved six consulting companies and 60 professionals.
- Valued a premium US$120 million land property in Baja, Mexico, for office and housing projects (1,200 acres).
- Managed the debt restructuring of a public facility operated by a database worth US$235 million and restructured the indentured contract regarding debt coverage ratios concerning dividend payments. CDPQ is a shareholder in the venture.
- Completed an expert witness report to support the reimbursement of US$200 million in damages to an EPC contractor led by GE on a US$1 billion hydroelectric project.
- Conducted an M&A valuation of an amusement water park acquired by Six Flags. Tariff structure was also developed based on an elasticity analysis I performed based on a supply-demand exercise.
- Evaluated economic contribution of anglers to Los Cabos: Billfish Foundation sponsored a study to estimate benefits from sport fishing at Los Cabos. The study is now an international reference in the Interdisciplinary Environmental Review, 2010.
- Completed the valuation of seven high-end hotels operating under premium brands: Four Seasons, Rosewood, Banyan, and One & Only, among others.
Focus areas: IAS 36, PPP Projects, Infrastructure, Monte Carlo Simulations, Debt Restructuring, Due Diligence, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Analysis, Investment Banking, IFRS Financial Reporting, Forecasting, Interim CFO, Valuation, Projects, Financial Risk Assessment, Financial Reporting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Modeling, Financial Management, Strategy, Finance, Real Estate, Commercial Finance, Equipment Finance, International Finance, Corporate Finance, Asset-based Finance, Project Finance
2020 - 2021
- Reviewed in-house valuation models for a home equity investment fund with operations in the US. I applied advanced valuation techniques such as Monte Carlo simulation.
- Prepared a financial model for an investment fund in multifamily housing projects in the US. The model included the three basic financial statements, built from bottom to top, to allow individual project forecasts and a consolidated view.
- Advised a real estate investment fund specialized in single-family projects in Western Europe to define an optimal capital structure.
- Prepared a revenue forecast model for a private school operation in the Western US. The model included a Monte Carlo simulation module that evaluates market risk and the expected performance of the sale effort.
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Valuation, DCF Modeling, DCF Valuation, Education, K-12 Education, Private Educational Projects
Financial Analyst and Director
1995 - 2001
- Valued and restructured US$600 million of debt held by a vertically integrated edible vegetable oils and shortenings company located in Southeastern Mexico.
- Reviewed the business plans and valued several firms in diverse sectors: non-woven fabrics, auto parts, and ASTM publishing (companies worth over US$50 million).
- Advised on the IPO plan for a wholesale and retail firm operating across Mexico under the 7-Eleven brand. The service included the valuation of the ongoing business through discounted cash flows and market multiples methods.
- Valued Barilla's business plan to expand into Mexico via brand acquisition. Discounted cash flows and multiple valuation models were prepared to value a portfolio of brands worth over US$80 million.
- Valued and negotiated the debt restructuring of an all-inclusive hotel operation in the Sea of Cortez (worth US$30 million).
Focus areas: Distressed Assets, PPP Projects, Infrastructure, Due Diligence, Financial Analysis, Investment Banking, Forecasting, Financial Modeling, Valuation, Asset-based Finance, Finance, Real Estate, Capital Structure Analysis, Corporate Finance, Project Finance, Debt Restructuring, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
Financial Analyst and Director
1991 - 1995
- Prepared the financial model and part of the prospectus in the issue of a US$600 million debt financing for the construction of the Huites dam project in Northern Mexico. Bear Sterns and Lehman Brothers issued a Eurobond.
- Led the preparation of Babcock & Wilcox's commercial proposal for the construction and operation of the coal terminal in Lázaro Cárdenas port (worth US$250 million).
- Created the privatization plan for the Mexican ports in the State of Quintana Roo that formed part of the Port Reform Act of 1993.
- Obtained letters of intent from banks to support the ICA Group and Cydsa's financial proposals for sewer treatment plant projects in Mexico (worth US$30 million).
- Valued and prepared a prospectus for Acer IPO in the NYSE and Mexican Bolsa.
Focus areas: PPP Projects, Infrastructure, Debt Restructuring, Due Diligence, Financial Analysis, Investment Banking, Forecasting, Valuation, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Strategy, Financial Modeling, Financial Engineering, International Finance, Equipment Finance, Asset-based Finance, Finance, Real Estate, Commercial Finance, Corporate Finance, Project Finance
1988 - 1991
- Prepared the financial models for the winning bids of over 2,000 km of toll road concessions worth US$12 billion.
- Led the financial modeling for financing the La Zurda water supply project in Guadalajara City. A syndicate of banks advanced funds for US$300 million.
- Developed the financial models for the bids of urban public service concessions projects—resulting in winning the concession to operate the Aguascalientes City water supply and drainage system (population of 1 million).
- Created and managed the financial modeling for a cruise ship terminal project in Cozumel, México.
- Prepared board presentations for the CFO of a company listed in the NYSE and the Mexican Bolsa.
Focus areas: PPP Projects, Infrastructure, Due Diligence, Financial Analysis, Forecasting, Valuation, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Modeling, Equipment Finance, Commercial Finance, International Finance, Corporate Finance, Project Finance