Verified Expert in Finance
With 15 years as an expert in corporate finance, Tim has successfully helped several firms grow their revenue by 300–500% while maintaining or increasing their profit margins. He has served as the director of finance for the largest tile contractor and CFO of the second largest drywall and painting contractor in the State of Hawaii. He enjoys freelancing as it provides an opportunity to share his skillset and help people grow their businesses and their dreams.
Vertical and Horizontal Financial Statement Analysis
- Improved project management forecasting tools to reduce unnecessary costs, resulting in a growth from 12.71% to 32.14% using the strategic profit model ratio.
- Grew revenue by over 200% by utilizing an existing network of contacts within three years.
- Initiated cost control methods that reduced overhead expenses as a percentage of revenue by 4%.
- Recovered over $300,000 in payroll tax and state sales tax overpayments made by predecessors.
- Eliminated all long-term debt as the company's returns on equity were sufficient to cover growth and working capital needs.
- Updated AR and AP practices to reduce the operating cycle from 109 days to 56 days.
- Managed balance sheet to improve ROA from 18% to 34% by increasing revenue while maintaining asset levels.
Director of Finance | Operations Manager
- Designed, implemented, and oversaw project management SOPs, resulting in an average increase in gross profit by 5%.
- Increased revenue sixfold within two years by utilizing the existing customer network and gained the confidence of developers to take on larger projects.
- Developed operational methods and organizational frameworks that improved efficiencies in the accounting and operations departments.
- Negotiated a $7.5 million settlement on a project with an original contract value of $12 million while managing working capital and preventing the company from going cash flow bankrupt.
- Translated and communicated financial statements and analyses to shareholders.
- Reduced CPA fees by 50% by producing timely and accurate periodic financial statements.
- Created annual budgets and performed variance analysis to reduce overhead expenses by 3% of revenue.
- Created monthly work-in-progress schedule and performed profit gain/fade analysis, which led to early warning indicators for projects. The early warning indicators limited the profit fade on problem projects.
- Streamlined the accounts payable and accounts receivable process, reducing the operating cycle by 10 days and increasing working capital.
- Helped owners wind down the company as they moved into retirement.
Auditor | Consultant
- Achieved the highest turnaround time for engagements of all employees.
- Consulted with several firms to improve their working capital knowledge in the construction industry.
- Asked to join the board of directors as a treasurer after my employment with CW Associates and became the treasurer for three years.
- Generated working procedures and guidelines on new engagements that met AICPA audit and attest standards.
- Provided recommendations to clients to improve their internal controls, which reduced fraud levels at their firm.
- Instructed clients on the proper use of work-in-progress schedules and profit gain/fade analysis, which resulted in year-over-year gross profit gains of 3–5%.
Master's Degree in Business Administration (MBA)
University of Hawaii - Honolulu, HI, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting
Utah Valley University - Orem, UT, USA
Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA)
Corporate Finance Institute (CFI)
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring