Verified Expert in Project Management
Paulo is a certified project/program manager with nearly 20 years spent in IT. Focused on business intelligence, software development, and IT infrastructure, he has extensive expertise in managing both onshore and offshore cross-functional teams, delivering large and small IT projects for several Fortune 500 companies. Proficient in both agile and waterfall, working as a freelancer has given him the chance to work for a diverse client base.
Founder | Director
- Founded Garimpo, a startup focused on improving the quality of the recruitment process of small companies through affordable online selection processes.
- Designed and implemented the web portal for the company.
- Contributed to the development of the company's main product: an online testing tool designed to evaluate large numbers of candidates for work placement.
- Learned and applied the Lean Startup methodology.
Senior Project Manager
- Acted on several large-scale business intelligence and ITO projects for major companies like Vale, Unilever, and Vivo, using PMI and agile methodologies.
- Oversaw the A&DM Brazil development team (analytics and data management), managing up to 25 resources.
- Acted as an instructor for the PMP Acceleration Program, mentoring project managers preparing for the PMP certification.
- Managed projects with up to 40 resources and budget of up to 2 million dollars.
- Delivered the Cordillera program, which unified Unilever's Supply Chain process across all of its subsidiaries within the Americas. Managed resources spread between Brazil, Argentina, England, US, and India.
- Concluded projects finance, control, and mining, first initiatives of the Vale Information Program, within Vale (the world's largest iron ore mining company).
Project Manager | Database Administrator (DBA)
- Worked as a database administrator within project Petronect until the end of 2005.
- Created, as a member of the security management team, to set up the security criteria and guarantee Petronect's security certificate.
- Managed the IT infrastructure (ITSM) for Petrobras eCommerce portal (Petronect).
- Administered the SAP Netweaver environment (SAP Basis).
- Managed the hosting and was the single-point-of-contact for hosting services.
- Obtained a reduction of over 80% of incidents within Petronect platform.
- Supported Brazil's first ever biodiesel auction.
- Obtained certification ISO 17050-1, certifying the secrecy of vendor bids within Petronect.
- Worked as a business analyst, participating on the modeling team.
- Used UML (Unified Modeling Language).
- Applied Oracle's JCDM methodology.
- Utilized Oracle's toolset: JDeveloper, Designer, and SCM.
Lead Developer | ERP Consultant
- Managed a team of up to 12 developers, developing customized solutions for small and medium-sized companies (2001-2003).
- Developed solutions using Borland Delphi, MS Access and SQL Server.
- Developed the "TS Jobs" solution for Nova Onda (a leading commercial sound studio). The implementation of this solution allowed the studio to expand to other cities, and the solution is still in use today (after nearly 20 years after the first build).
- Worked for one of the companies responsible for deploying and customizing the ERP RM Corpore (1997-2000).
- Acted as an ERP consultant successfully deploying the solution on over 50 different clients, on projects lasting from two weeks to one year.
- Worked for various clients like Webb Negocios Online; INB (Brazil's federal nuclear agency), Hard Rock Cafe, Forza Group, Brazil's navy, and more.
GVT Agile BI Factory
Delivered project Sophia, responsible for the integration of data between GVT and Vivo, a company merge worth US$7 billion.
A scrum team was created within HP to deliver the products designed by the GVT team. The challenge was to overcome the distance since the development team was in Rio de Janeiro and the product owners were in Curitiba.
Trusting agile principles, one HP resource was allocated in the customer site, to allow for face-to-face communication with the different stakeholders. However, most of the discussions were held over the phone or virtual meeting rooms.
I was the project manager responsible for the overall delivery of the project and acted as scrum master when necessary.
Overcoming the initial distrust from the customer (who had never worked with a third-party offshore team), the partnership eventually grew, and two more scrum teams were created to support the demands.
When Telefonica (a Spanish telecom company) announced they would buy GVT in order to merge it with Vivo (its subsidiary in Brazil), in a deal worth over US$7 billion, these scrum teams participated and successfully delivered project Sophia, the project responsible for integrating the data from both companies.
Successfully delivered over 80 new servers and decommissioned over 220 old servers, without any impact on the business.
Over 300 systems were decommissioned and their processes moved to SAP, generating huge savings in hardware and software costs.
I was the HP program manager responsible for all of the infrastructure support including the database, network, storage, backup, Basis, Wintel, and Linux servers, and led over 40 resources spread between five countries (Brazil, Argentina, England, the United States, and India).
Vale Information Program
Delivered BI solutions in the control, finance, and mining areas, generating over US$100 million in savings.
During a two-year period, I was responsible for delivering the finance, control, and mining projects, all planned to improve business processes by making internal information available and easily accessible between company areas. A huge data warehouse was designed, and the projects were implemented using PowerCenter and Cognos.
In 1997, successfully implemented an RM Corpore solution on a Brazilian NGO.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Finance
IBMEC - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ) - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Professional Scrum Master Level I (PSM I)
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Project Management Institute (PMI)
ITIL Foundation V3
Oracle Certified Professional