Director of Compensation and Benefits
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
You will bring your enthusiasm and passion for compensation and benefits to Toptal to ensure that we have a Total Rewards strategy for every position. Your desire to develop a global total compensation philosophy will allow you to support Toptal leaders and team members through their entire lifecycle at Toptal.
You will work closely with our Chief People Officer, People team Directors, Recruiters, and Executive team members. You will be responsible for developing all benefit offerings and compensation strategies to ensure that Toptal is attracting, retaining, and motivating top talent. We have team members located in over 100 countries, so you will need to conduct market research, recommending adjustments to the existing salary scale, and make total compensation recommendations for existing team members, new hires, new positions, promotions, and annual adjustments. You will be responsible for the development and launch of new benefit offerings as well as the maintenance of Toptal’s existing benefit programs, ensuring that we exceed the market standards. You will support questions from Core team members relating to their benefits, leave of absence, etc., while sharing knowledge and best practices with the wider People team to create a broader understanding of compensation-based philosophies. In summary, you will be responsible for developing Toptal’s total compensation philosophy, including utilizing Toptal’s compensation data for analysis, market comparisons, and future compensation program creation and maintenance.
Your natural ability to stay organized, actively listen, have strong communication skills, maintain confidential information, and use excellent judgment is essential for this role. The variety of tasks and projects will vary daily and no day will be the same. We need a team member who will jump in, take initiative to solve problems and deliver value/drive results to the organization as a whole.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will be ready and eager to jump in quickly and partner with the key stakeholders to take on day-to-day benefits and compensation projects. Using the variety of tools available to you, you will display your ability to be resourceful in order to quickly accomplish tasks and drive initiatives forward. You will shadow team members to learn the business, and then use this knowledge to provide the best outputs to your stakeholders. You will assist in the continuous efforts in building the People team’s infrastructure, including systems and processes in place to support the company’s hypergrowth. You will ensure communications, both written and verbal, are carried out in a manner that builds a reputation for yourself as someone who is trustworthy and a trusted advisor.
Responsibilities for this position will span across the team member’s lifecycle:
Compensation Oversight: Drive the development of a competitive compensation philosophy that is aligned with Toptal values and a hypergrowth mindset. Regularly monitor and audit benefits and compensation data to ensure accurate enrollments and compliance. Maintain knowledge of global talent markets and other factors to ensure Toptal provides competitive and reasonable benefits and compensation offerings. Provide thoughtful compensation analysis and recommendations to People partners and business leaders on areas including the cost of living adjustments, market adjustments, promotion policy and cycles, performance bonuses, and recognition opportunities beyond monetary compensation.
Benefits Oversight: Manage health and welfare plans, COBRA administration, FMLA administration, 401(k) administration and compliance, etc. Maintain compliance by ensuring plan documents, plan amendments, summary plan descriptions, tax filings, and any other necessary documents are in place. Manage annual benefits renewal process and open enrollment, including communications.
Onboarding: Support the onboarding process by acting as the point of contact for new team members with benefits-related questions, specifically around individual open enrollment.
Day-to-Day Support/Questions: Serve as the main point of contact for day-to-day benefits or compensation questions across Toptal and for the specific projects that you are responsible for leading.
Offboarding: Handle any benefits questions, including COBRA, for departing Core team members and ensure that team members are provided with the proper information upon departing Toptal.
Projects: You will be responsible for People Team projects, that may include but are not limited to:
- Oversee the company’s global compensation information including conducting comparative analysis by region and developing solid business cases to support potential compensation decisions that are unique to a global, remote workforce.
- Work on company-wide rollouts and ensure the tools/platforms are set up for annual people processes such as open enrollment, merit increases, etc.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, developments, and best practices in compensation and benefits administration.
Toptal is a superior environment in which smart, ambitious people can do their best work and grow professionally. You will work with highly motivated Toptalers to optimize processes designed to enhance productivity at Toptal.
In the first week, expect to:
- Work with the People team to begin to understand the team processes.
- Explore the current tools and resources and understand how they are currently used.
- Experience the new hire experience with benefits enrollment.
In the first month, expect to:
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of People processes within Toptal.
- Understand Toptal benefit offerings.
- Understand compensation structures that exist within Toptal.
- Begin to handle day-to-day requests and process them independently.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Continue to develop relationships across the organization.
- Confidently handle day-to-day requests independently.
- Update current processes and collaborate on new initiatives.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Reflect on your observations since you started and identify where there are additional areas for improvement.
- Continue to fine-tune current processes and implement new ideas and initiatives.
In the first year, expect to:
- Be viewed as a Toptal ambassador.
- Continue to strategize and implement new scalable improvements as the organization grows.
- Be viewed as a trusted resource throughout the organization.
- 7+ years of directly applicable Compensation and Benefits experience working with cross-functional global technical teams, preferably in a hypergrowth environment.
- Experience with international compensation and benefits is a must.
- Experience creating and developing sales plans and commission structures is a must.
- Experience working in a tech startup environment, with a large population of engineers strongly preferred.
- Strong understanding of compensation fundamentals and the know-how of managing and analyzing such data with ease.
- Demonstrated compensation experience in the following areas: base pay, market pricing, variable pay, job evaluation, location analysis, data analysis, etc.
- Experience managing health and welfare plans, leave of absence, 401(k) programs, etc.
- Working knowledge of HRIS systems.
- Working knowledge of employment law (both U.S. and globally) or willingness to learn.
- Desire to learn about our people strategy/approach.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- You must be proactive and love interacting with others.
- You must have outstanding attention to detail.
- You must be driven to independently push initiatives forward and get things done.
- Your natural tendency to follow through on tasks and see them through to completion will ensure loops are always closed.
- You must understand and value the importance of operational efficiency.
- You must be highly organized.
- Your positive, can-do attitude is something you will bring with you to work daily.
- Unquestionable judgment.
- You must have outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- You must be comfortable with working under pressure and adhering to deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- You must have the ability to communicate with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- Experience working 100% remote preferred.
- Ability to work well with team members at all levels, across all functions of the business.
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends on occasion to accommodate a global workforce (this is not a 9 to 5 position).
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.