Director of Marketing Operations
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Director of Marketing Operations, you will be a valuable leader on Toptal’s Marketing Operations team reporting to the VP of Marketing Operations. In this role, you will draw upon your extensive experience evaluating, assessing, and optimizing Marketing Operations, applying this to the SEO and Growth programs within Marketing at Toptal, to ensure the success of key SEO initiatives while supporting the mission and objectives of the company.
You will work cross-functionally to operationalize delivery to SEO goals from multiple Marketing teams and stakeholders to enable the strategic direction of SEO. This will include producing and implementing execution frameworks, process automation and workflow enhancements, KPIs, and role structures necessary to drive Toptal’s organic growth. You will be trusted to tackle challenging and impactful problems at Toptal, working directly with cross-functional team members to achieve success.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
We are looking for someone who enjoys finding ways to increase efficiencies, create processes, and remove roadblocks. By utilizing your extensive experience operationalizing strategic and organizational initiatives, you will align key SEO priorities within Marketing and across the business. You are a stickler for quality and organization, can see around corners, and proactively engage with executive stakeholders to keep a plan on track. Everyone breathes a sigh of relief when you are leading a project because of your reputation for reliability.
You will have an ongoing responsibility for determining and defining project approaches, scope, and objectives, capacity planning, and managing resources in an effective and efficient manner. You will maintain ongoing communication with leaders across Marketing, particularly the SEO, Growth Product and Publications teams, and be responsible for ensuring deadlines are met and projects/deliverables are successfully completed. Your expertise in a wide variety of project types will allow you to make strategic adjustments as needed and measure performance to identify areas for improvement.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Work to get up to speed with how the organization runs, including how our OKRs, RACIs, and other operational frameworks work. Understand the fundamentals of Toptal and what sets us apart, particularly focused on our marketing strategy.
- Meet with key Executives and senior leaders across the company to deep dive into understanding Toptal’s functions and how each supports the company’s mission and objectives.
- Start to develop an in-depth understanding of Toptal’s Marketing and SEO operations.
In the first month, expect to:
- Fully understand the key SEO objectives at Toptal and how the current Marketing teams work cross-functionally to deliver on those objectives.
- Begin initial evaluation and scoping of operational improvements in delivering these key objectives.
- Break down wider SEO challenges into manageable projects that are easily understood by a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Deliver timely updates and identify key roadblocks and solutions on projects under your management.
- Work with the VP of Marketing Operations to develop quarterly OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) for Marketing Operations, specifically in regards to the SEO program operations.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Ensure all operational improvements identified enter the Marketing Operations Roadmap.
- Begin planning operational frameworks for new SEO and growth challenges as they arise and evolve.
- Review initial implementations of SEO operational improvements such that outcomes delivered across Marketing are trending towards an exceptional level.
- Oversee Project Managers responsible for the rollout of any new tools, approaches, and/or project management standardization frameworks.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Have a full understanding of the full gamut of SEO objectives at Toptal and how teams across Marketing work together to deliver on them, with a roadmap for improving the operations of each.
- Evolve operations as teams become more mature in their understanding of the objectives and as challenges change - highly competitive SEO is a rapidly developing space.
- Experiment and learn at pace as you build solutions, adapting your approach in real-time by leveraging your knowledge and doing everything it takes to make sure the OKRs of your projects are moving in the right direction.
- Be fluent in the types of support and deliverables required for various initiatives so you can make recommendations to inform project planning.
In the first year, expect to:
- Achieve recognition as an expert at the company for your areas of responsibility.
- Meet/exceed stakeholder expectations for the delivery of world-class operational services.
- Have a strong operational infrastructure in place to ensure quality and consistency across all activities within the Marketing Operations function.
- Work with leaders in other areas of Marketing to improve their own internal project management processes within their teams to align with yours.
- Measure the efficacy of your work, iterate, and improve.
- 5+ years of professional experience, with at least 3 managing website-based operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, or a related field preferred.
- MBA or a Master’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Experience managing the full life cycle of projects.
- Strong background in operations management and change management.
- World-class analytical skills with the ability to draw intelligent and actionable insights.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required. Good communication is at the core of everything we do, and you must be a strong communicator able to work with a wide range of stakeholders from senior executives to individual contributors around the world.
- Comfortable working with an array of web-based productivity tools such as Welcome, Miro, and Slack - and are a quick learner.
- Intuitive about how to use and present data to inform marketing decisions.
- Excellent organization skills and detail-oriented. You are hyper-organized, know how to work efficiently, and prioritize execution, as well as mentor others to do the same.
- Resourceful. You should be a self-starter who thrives on the freedom and accountability that comes with managing your own workflow.
- Adaptable. Comfortable managing changing priorities, learning new skills, and building consensus across varied stakeholder groups.
- Ownership. You are a dependable leader who takes responsibility for your success as well as the success of the entire team.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Familiarity with digital marketing, campaign management, and the creative process.
- Able to provide examples of cross-functional integrated programs or campaigns you have managed.
- You believe no task is too small, and you are willing to help in any capacity when needed as an individual contributor.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.