Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold
As the Director of Agile Program Management you will be responsible for the adoption and evolution of software development scrum process best practices. You will work across the Toptal organization to ensure scrum processes are understood, adopted, and improved upon. You will work with engineers, product managers, designers, and the executive team to bring clarity and insight into the delivery of product and project deliverables. You will work at the program, team, and individual level to bring a cohesive and unified vision of Agile and Scrum processes.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. This role reports into the CTO.
- Serves as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) on Agile development methods and processes.
- Provide coaching and training at the program, team, and individual level to usher in more Agile advocates.
- Develop and implement standard metrics to measure productivity across teams.
- Baseline, measure, and monitor the agile maturity across teams.
- Coach Scrum Masters to increase their effectiveness.
- Drive the required cultural transformation in adopting agile development methodologies.
- Own process transformation in areas where functional areas intersect with Engineering.
- Coach stakeholders on how to interact more effectively with agile development teams.
- Create meaningful metrics to help stakeholders understand the status of their initiatives.
- Work on and lead cross-team projects in the organization.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert on Agile.
In the first month you will:
- Perform many agile roles, including scrum master and master of ceremonies.
- Plan, facilitate, and lead scrum ceremonies, retrospectives, and planning meetings.
- Understand and capture metrics to monitor and enhance team performance.
In the first three months you will:
- Lead the implementation and adoption of Jira.
- Generate an assessment of what teams need help in their process and craft a plan of execution.
- Facilitate negotiations between stakeholders, product owners, and engineering in order to surface highest priority work and also to protect and support the team’s roadmap.
In the first six months you will:
- Regularly report on project and program status to executive leadership and other stakeholders.
- You will set the company standards for Scrum Masters.
In the first year you will:
- Implement an Agile Maturity Model to track how Engineering is progressing.
- Conduct several mentoring sessions with Scrum Masters and create a set of training materials and a development journey.
- Host sessions with business stakeholders helping them understand the processes that engineering uses and how to engage us best.
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading agile teams.
- Capable of driving change through influence, coaching, and education.
- Ability to drive large, complex programs and solutions using virtual teams.
- Comfortable managing changing priorities and building consensus across varied stakeholder groups.
- A deep background in all aspects of software engineering and the development lifecycle for enterprise applications development, engineering and/or operations at scale, in Agile and Kanban environments.
- Great analytical problem solving skills and decision-making abilities.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the success of this program.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
GMT-5 to GMT+2
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's VP of Engineering, Bozhidar leads one of the world's largest fully distributed engineering organizations, ensuring the growth and quality of Toptal's technical operations, infrastructure, recruiting, and training in a 100% remote environment. Bozhidar is an avid open source contributor, and prior to joining Toptal, was a top 50 overall GitHub contributor and Ruby contributor, and the #1 Emacs package contributor. He is an Emacs core committer and the author of the top Ruby lint tool, the top Clojure IDE, and the Ruby, Rails, and Clojure style guides. Bozhidar is also a frequent conference speaker, technical author, and former CTO of a financial trading platform. Bozhidar has an MA in Computer Science from the Technical University of Sofia.