Director of Marketplace Operations
As the Director of Marketplace Operations, you will play a key role in leading the strategy and execution for ensuring that extraordinarily high-quality freelance talent is efficiently and optimally placed to meet client demand. As a revenue-driving force for Toptal, you will lead a team of customer-facing ‘matchers’ (Toptal’s form of Customer Success Managers) that are responsible for generating active engagements by expertly pairing freelance talent with clients. These teams of matchers are also responsible for establishing optimal pricing and ensuring growth through successful long-term client relationships. In this role, you will establish a strong infrastructure to support and contribute to rapid growth, and ensure team structures and processes align with future business initiatives.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
You will be responsible for building and executing a strategy to effectively match freelance talent to meet the speed and quality expectations of our clients. Your strategic and analytical thinking will contribute to the optimization of the talent matching process to ensure successful long-term engagements, whilst also operating vertical and specialization expansion scenarios.
Your role will require you to lead a global team and ensure daily practices are designed to encourage revenue optimization through a strong focus on client needs assessments, cross-selling efforts, and pricing strategies. You will be responsible for optimizing the organizational structure and related capacity planning in alignment with forecasted demand.
Strong partnerships with our lines of business and consideration of valuable feedback loops will be key to maximizing the impact of the team. Your success will be measured by exceeding established KPIs designed to ensure that our high standards for speed and quality are consistently met.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month you will:
- Complete a current state assessment of the structure and functions that define Talent Matching.
- Work with the VP of Talent Operations to review and update Quarterly OKRs for the Talent Matching function.
- Gain a deep understanding of the supply/demand dynamics within Toptal to assist with prioritization of matching activities and optimal capacity planning.
- Define/refine KPIs as measures of talent quality and team success.
In the first three months you will:
- Begin to assess, develop strategies and execute upon a new structure for efficiently matching talent under multiple-vertical and specialization scenarios.
- Begin to explore processes and structures that will support expertise in matching talent under scenarios of an expanded number of verticals and to support cross-selling/up-selling efforts.
- Evaluate and expand training resources for the Matching team.
- Develop capacity planning models to ensure the team can meet expedited talent placement expectations for current and future needs.
In the first six months you will:
- Optimize the structure, processes, and execution of the Matching team.
- Stabilize and adapt matching strategies and processes to accommodate expanding verticals.
- Successfully utilize demand forecasting and supply reporting and metrics to direct Matching prioritization efforts.
- Design and lead the team’s transition to a relationship management mentality with our clients.
In the first year you will:
- Strengthen the infrastructure within the Matching team for long-term scalability and client satisfaction in a constantly evolving work environment.
- At least 7-10 years of experience managing, coaching, mentoring and leading a highly successful, globally distributed team in a multi-time zone environment.
- At least 5 years of experience in business operations and/or management consulting, developing and executing strategies, leveraging analytics and KPIs to inform decision-making and performance management.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to utilize forecasting tools to inform capacity planning and set priorities and strategic direction are mandatory.
- Track record of building strong, deep, long-lasting customer relationships.
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively and develop strong cross-functional relationships, especially with Operations and Sales functions.
- Accustomed to working in a metrics-driven environment and success in developing methods to achieve KPI expectations.
- Ability to lead a global team, providing motivation and clear direction to meet expectations by instilling accountability for quality, sense of urgency and deepening of customer relationships with both clients and freelance talents.
- Ability to adapt to changing business priorities and environments.
- Self-motivated and directed.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.