Director of Technology Alliances
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
We are looking for a leader to help us build out our Technology Alliances team. This person will have to be a combination of thoughtful & fast-moving, a self-starter who knows what excellence looks like. The ideal candidate will have either built or owned an Alliances/Partnerships, or will have been an integral member of a highly successful one and is ready to take on the lead role. Having prior experience working on both the product and services (e.g. systems integration) sides of alliances is a large plus.
This is a remote position. However, we require applicants to reside in-market. We are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
Your areas of responsibility will include (but not be limited to):
- Setting Strategy: developing our nascent relationships with the obvious players and taking them to the next level is an early priority, but helping us identify technology partners who will be a great fit for our business and grow over time is a key component of long-term success. You will help us define what ideal partnerships look like and the appropriate joint value propositions that will make those partnerships successful; in contrast, your prior experiences will help us identify and avoid partners who would not be a good fit.
- Relationship Management: you will cover the full lifecycle of our partnerships, from courting to consummation to ongoing management. The goal is to remain diligently focused on creating mutually beneficial economic relationships, not partnerships for the sake of a partnership. An important part of this is defining the metrics and thresholds with which we measure success.
- Sales Enablement & Training: where we use our sales team as a component of value creation, we need to train and enable them. This means coordinating with the other sales priorities, deciding what they need to know to be effective, and providing that information in an easily digestible way, providing ongoing support, and measuring progress.
- Talent Network Buildout: Any partnerships will require close coordination with our Talent Operations team to ensure we have strong resources in the network trained on our partners’ technology. This includes sourcing the right people, screening them for the right background, training and certifying them, and matching them to work. You will liaise directly with the team responsible for identifying and recruiting that world-class talent.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
- Gain a meaningful understanding of the roles and priorities of key business partners.
In the first month, expect to:
- Complete a current state assessment of the current partnerships and alliances that define the Technology Alliances program.
- Work with the Chief Revenue Officer, the Head of Enterprise Sale, and the Heads of Enterprise & SMB Client Services to gain tribal knowledge about the capabilities of Toptal’s network and areas of untapped Alliances opportunities.
- Develop Alliances dashboards to accurately assess the health and strength of our partnerships.
- Align on critical metrics to measure impact, quality, and success. Define/refine KPIs as measures of talent quality and team success.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Use a data-driven approach to identify Alliances improvement opportunities in our landscape with an emphasis on growth.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Execute new partnerships and alliances, and leveraging feedback and data, continue to iterate and improve upon the Alliances program until it is a world-class function within our organization.
- Manage a small team of elite individuals to help you achieve this goal.
- See the big picture (i.e. a “systems thinker”), but be willing (and eager!) to roll up your sleeves and get into the details.
- While there is a lot of “doing” work associated with this job (and all jobs at Toptal), this role will supervise a team of people. This job is as much about getting the most from them and helping them grow as it is the things you produce.
- Be analytical and fact-based. While “gut” often points you in the right direction and prompts the right question, we support our decisions with experiments and data.
- We expect you to find high-growth environments energizing, not draining. There is a lot going on, and it is all happening at an incredible pace; put transparently, it’s not the right environment for everyone.
- You are someone who instinctively puts the team first. You’ll not only work alongside our Enterprise and SMB Sales teams but also collaborate across the company (e.g. Talent Operations, Marketing, Product & Engineering, Business Operations, People).
- You carry yourself with confident humility. The candidate who joins us in this position will be chosen because they know their domain extremely well but will succeed if they recognize that they’re walking into a successful company with successful peers looking to do even better.
- In that vein, you must have a growth mindset. No one knows everything; especially in an organization like ours, which is breaking new ground. While we are certainly looking for someone who is extremely sharp in the development of a Technology Alliances program, we’d rather have a “learn-it-all” than a “know-it-all.”
- You don’t take yourself too seriously; you have a sense of humor and are comfortable with sarcasm. This position does sit with our Sales teams, after all.