Senior Front-end Engineer, Armani team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a member of the Armani team, you will work on our first-class client sign up and onboarding flows. The team owns the Client Application and Acquisition areas which consist of a few applications. The Armani team is aimed to grow quality clients and build scalable operational support. This is a high impact area, full of exciting product and technical challenges. As part of the Armani team you will drive development and solve non-trivial problems.
Most of the features we develop are rolled out gradually using A/B experiments. Decisions we make are backed up by data. We design, build, and maintain GraphQL APIs, React/TypeScript components, and integrations with multiple 3rd party apps.
We’re working hard to help our client leads onboard and become happy customers.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will build and maintain first-class software serving thousands of businesses every day.
Among other responsibilities:
- Review the work of your colleagues.
- Write elegant, efficient, and testable code that is easy to read and maintain.
- Building reusable components and front-end libraries for future use
- Translating designs and wireframes into high quality code
- Pickup and evolve data-driven development processes.
- As a great teammate, continuously improve the team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and commit to the “Quality First” mentality.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback, and grow as a part of the team.
- Actively participate in meetings including Scrum meetings, squad meetings, pair programming sessions, etc.
In the first week, expect to:
- Begin your onboarding and integration into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Learn our processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Develop your first tasks and have them deployed to production.
- Learn about the technology that powers Toptal - services, patterns, and libraries we use and develop.
- Have strong knowledge of Toptal’s business.
- Contribute to our product development.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop a deeper understanding of our technology, processes, and product pipeline.
- Actively supply software planning, development, and maintenance.
- Be ready to propose and implement improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
- Deliver value in a regular cadence.
- Get comfortable in your daily work within your team.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside your team.
- Be able to not only solve complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action.
- Proactively identify technical debt and product areas that require attention or improvements and suggest improvements in our technology stack.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have a detailed understanding of Toptal’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, performance, and future work.
- Determine what your career path looks like at Toptal.
- Mentor Toptal’s new team members.
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Great spoken and written communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of React.js and its core principles.
- Experience with data structure libraries (e.g., Immutable.js), familiarity with Docker.
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- Strong knowledge of automated software testing, development, and testing methodologies.
- Care about multiple quality dimensions like user impact, fault tolerance, code maintainability, security, and performance.
- Be able to work without hand-holding and take initiative.
- Bonus points for knowledge of object-oriented programming.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.