Project Manager, Business Operations
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Interested in planning and leading projects to ensure critical objectives are met? We are looking for someone who is passionate about project management standard methodologies and practices, and takes pride in ensuring the success of key projects! Expect to juggle multiple projects, from initiation to performance monitoring and impact assessments. Reporting to our Director of Business Operations, this role will work cross-functionally alongside a wide variety of teams within our hyper-growth company!
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- This new team member will build and run detailed project timeline and work plans, will be proactive in providing project updates to key partners regarding progress and impediments, and identifying and surfacing dependencies.
- This person will determine and define project scope and objectives, predict resources needed to reach objectives, and then lead resources in an effective and efficient manner.
- The Project Manager will collaborate with our leaders on action items and follow-up requests related to deadlines associated with projects and other deliverables.
- As one of your first projects, you will support the Director of Business Analytics in creating an outstanding analytics discipline at Toptal.
- This role is instrumental in helping to coordinate efforts that include the restructuring of a central database and processes to ensure consistent metrics and report development. We would love for you to be passionate about ensuring that requests are completed according to prescribed timelines, and partners receive frequent status reports.
- Your expertise in multifaceted projects will allow you to make strategic adjustments as needed and measure project performance to identify areas for improvement. You will also be responsible for preparing budgets based on the scope of work and tracking actual project costs.
- We are excited for you to bring a strong framework for organization and attention to detail to all your projects while supporting the Business Operations leadership.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow our key teams to learn the crux of Toptal’s operations and business units.
- Deep dive into understanding Toptal’s Functions and how each supports the company’s mission and objectives.
In the first month, expect to:
- Set up a project management framework for your first 1-3 projects
- Collaborate with leadership to develop our Project Framework and understand the roadmap for future standardization
- Onboard into the Business Analytics program and its existing projects to understand objectives, the responsibilities of key partners, and current success metrics
- Help build and lead the intake and prioritization process for business analytics requests across this growing company
In the first three months, expect to:
- Deliver a current state analysis and status report on projects under your management in an ongoing and agreed-upon cadence
- Go through deeper onboarding in key areas of the company that is of strategic importance.
- Experiment and learn rapidly as you build solutions, adapting your approaches in real-time by incorporating your findings and being proactive to make sure the OKRs of your projects are moving in the right direction.
- Monitor the work done by Business Analysts, Report Developers and Data Analysts to ensure project deadlines are met
In the first six months, expect to:
- Assist in rolling out our new standardization framework including new collateral and tools
- Begin working on additional projects designed to both deliver impact and increase the impact of your work
In the first year, expect to:
- Get results and operational excellence both within the team and throughout the company
- Partner with Team Leads to improve their own internal project management processes within their teams under the new framework
- Measure your work’s efficacy, iterate, and improve
- 3-5 years of project management and related operations experience, managing projects through the full life cycle.
- Top Project Management Certification highly desirable including PMI, PMP, PRINCE2, CAPM, CSM, CPMP, CPM or other, or experience equivalent to a Certification.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, or a related field preferred.
- Knowledge of Agile, Kanban, and SCRUM preferred. Technical expertise not required.
- Strong analytical capability
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills, as you will partner with a wide range of team members, from senior executives to individual contributors.
- Excellent organization skills. You are hyper-organized, know how to work efficiently and prioritize execution.
- Resourceful. You should be a self-starter who loves the freedom and accountability that comes with handling your own workflow.
- Adaptable. Comfortable handling changing priorities, learning new skills and building consensus across multifaceted functions.
- Ownership. You are a conscientious team member who takes responsibility for your success as well as your team’s success.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.