Software Engineer in Test, Client Retention Team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is a quality-first company. While quality is the responsibility of the whole team, our Software Engineers in Test lead this effort. We believe that top quality can only be reached by ensuring this on the product, engineering, and team level. We believe that QA is more about communication and collaboration over documentation and processes and because of that, we follow a holistic approach.
In reference to the product, you will work closely with product managers to ensure the team builds the proper software that reaches company goals and brings value to its users. In reference to engineering, you will support fast and reliable delivery of software, leading and coordinating software assessment and testing activities. Last but not least, in your team, you will lead process transformations to improve quality and mentor your teammates to achieve exceptional quality outcomes.
The Client Retention team is responsible for building and maintaining tools that help Toptal have a better relationship with its clients and increase our revenue, by either helping sales be more effective or improving the client’s experience.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- You will use your knowledge to bring a huge impact on how we design the team’s approach to the quality of the product.
- You’ll get to work with End2End testing, integration testing, contract, and model-based testing tools using technologies like Ruby, RSpec, Cucumber every day.
You will work closely with the product team, stakeholders, and users from the preliminary planning through to having a holistic view to plan and deliver new features.
- You will encourage and teach developers to craft and implement tests in the most efficient way. Ensure high-level testability or coverage, sufficient monitoring solutions, and debugging mechanisms.
- Work to maintain and improve our automated test suites.
- You will build tools and libraries to simplify the development and improve the quality of the work.
In the first week, expect to:
- Begin your onboarding and integration into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Begin working with your first teams at Toptal.
- Attend regular meetings. Examples include daily standups and the once a month Engineering All-hands meeting.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be actively engaged in the development of new features your team works on.
- Participate in the development of more broad solutions as a part of the guild (e.g. Quality Guild).
- Learn and take part in the utilization of the latest Front-end technologies.
- Have the opportunity to use and improve the Back-end technologies within the scope of the team.
- Develop automated tests to ensure that our products flawlessly support our business and behave at sky-high quality standards.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Work on a domain with extensive A/B testing to support decisions.
- Work on a product used by tens of thousands of users every day.
- Develop your team’s trust to make strategic decisions in regard to tools or methods involved in the QA process.
In the first year, expect to:
- On-board, mentor, and be part of the interviewing team, in order to support the growth of our top-skilled engineering team.
- Become a champion of new ideas that will thrive to achieve the purpose of our company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most.
- Take joy in deployment to production multiple times a day and collaborating daily with your team or other individuals while working in a distributed model.
- You must have proven knowledge of OOP, databases, development, and test methodologies.
- Understand core software testing concepts, paradigms, and approaches.
- Experience with the Ruby testing ecosystem RSpec and Cucumber.
- Experience with architecture focused on service or microservices is a plus.
- Eagerness to do what is needed to get things done, including tackling different responsibilities for a period of time.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the success of the engineering teams.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Capable of training your team on software testing.
- Self-organization. No one will tell you exactly how to work.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must have a focus on details.
- Critical thinking and enthusiastic skepticism.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.